U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 09:17 PM

20,583 posts, read 21,281,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm fed up hoping the Habs will do better next season when all they do is to continue to make themselves even more mediocre, Hey Bergevin wake me up when the Habs are in the Stanley Cup final,until then you've lost me as a fan of the Montreal Canadians.
The Canadiens are in no position to win the Stanley Cup. Making trades to regress is a step closer for Bergevin to depart the Canadiens.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 11:47 PM

2,764 posts, read 1,422,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
There have been worse general managers in the National Hockey League. Darcy Regier is an example of what not to do as a general manager during his tenure with the Buffalo Sabres.
I'm not arguing him as one of the worst of all time, I'm surely arguing him as one of the worst in the league right now though.

I think Carey Price does a great job of making the team better than they are, just as Cory Schneider does in New Jersey. I'm not sure the Habs are as bad as they were this past season, Condon was meh at best and they actually Ben Scrivens 16 starts or something like that. Scrivens is terrible and should have never been brought in. I remember telling my Kings fan friends back in 2013 that he was on a hot streak and isn't that good.

I could also see them missing the playoffs again anyway though, in spite of Carey Price's play. Carey Price before injury last season might have had two of the best consecutive seasons a goaltender has had in I can't remember how long. Tim Thomas had two of those seasons in a three year span, back in 08-09 and 10-11. Carey Price had two absolutely amazing seasons in 13-14 and 14-15. A save percentage of around 93% over 125 games in those two years and 138 games if you include the 12 he played last year.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:33 AM

11,802 posts, read 8,459,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I'm not arguing him as one of the worst of all time, I'm surely arguing him as one of the worst in the league right now though.

I think Carey Price does a great job of making the team better than they are, just as Cory Schneider does in New Jersey. I'm not sure the Habs are as bad as they were this past season, Condon was meh at best and they actually Ben Scrivens 16 starts or something like that. Scrivens is terrible and should have never been brought in. I remember telling my Kings fan friends back in 2013 that he was on a hot streak and isn't that good.

I could also see them missing the playoffs again anyway though, in spite of Carey Price's play. Carey Price before injury last season might have had two of the best consecutive seasons a goaltender has had in I can't remember how long. Tim Thomas had two of those seasons in a three year span, back in 08-09 and 10-11. Carey Price had two absolutely amazing seasons in 13-14 and 14-15. A save percentage of around 93% over 125 games in those two years and 138 games if you include the 12 he played last year.
Who's going to make the plays? Subban was their primary playmaker. Weber is good on D and has a good shot, but does not carry the puck, has no speed, and does not open up opportunities. Defense wasn't our issue. Scoring was. Bad trade.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:51 AM

5,519 posts, read 7,005,782 times
Some reports indicate PK was not popular with management for a number of years and may not have been happy with PK being more popular than the team. You know, that horrible publicity he gets for helping to build a hospital for children.

Given that this trade makes no sense from an on ice standpoint (nor payroll as far as I can see) the management riff makes sense.

Huge coup for Nashville. Habs will have egg on their faces.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:06 AM

4,867 posts, read 3,129,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Some reports indicate PK was not popular with management for a number of years and may not have been happy with PK being more popular than the team. You know, that horrible publicity he gets for helping to build a hospital for children.

Given that this trade makes no sense from an on ice standpoint (nor payroll as far as I can see) the management riff makes sense.

Huge coup for Nashville. Habs will have egg on their faces.

Too bad fans like Subban and hate management. Bergevin and Therrien both have to go.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Who's going to make the plays? Subban was their primary playmaker. Weber is good on D and has a good shot, but does not carry the puck, has no speed, and does not open up opportunities. Defense wasn't our issue. Scoring was. Bad trade.
I would say scoring and goaltending were issues last year. The goaltending in place of Price's absence was below average at best. I think defensively, I remember Montreal being outshot a lot. This might have more to do with Therrien's lousy system than the actual guys on the blue line.

I'd agree it's a bad trade. If they were gonna keep Therrien there, then I would have just made smaller changes and waited to see how they do with a healthy Price next year.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:23 AM

35,319 posts, read 44,711,445 times
Quote:
and waited to see how they do with a healthy Price next year.
While Price may have good stats on paper he never accomplishes much, he has frequent injuries and has a habit of chocking when the pressure is on,the team is no where near vieing for a Stanley cup and will remain a back of the pack also ran team,i would have retained Halak either as backup or Number 1 goalie..

Old 07-02-2016, 08:55 AM

20,583 posts, read 21,281,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While Price may have good stats on paper he never accomplishes much, he has frequent injuries and has a habit of chocking when the pressure is on,the team is no where near vieing for a Stanley cup and will remain a back of the pack also ran team,i would have retained Halak either as backup or Number 1 goalie..
The Habs need to have a goaltender available to replace Price in the near future.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:05 PM

What are you talking about? Halak isn't as good as Price. He had that one run in the 2010 playoffs and has been an average at best NHL goaltender ever since.

And he's even more injury prone than Price these days. I was calling Halak the most overrated goalie in hockey a few years back. I don't think he's overrated now though, because most people don't think he's that good anymore.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:44 AM

35,319 posts, read 44,711,445 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? Halak isn't as good as Price. He had that one run in the 2010 playoffs and has been an average at best NHL goaltender ever since.

And he's even more injury prone than Price these days. I was calling Halak the most overrated goalie in hockey a few years back. I don't think he's overrated now though, because most people don't think he's that good anymore.
Granted he's not as good as he was when with the Habs but a lot of a players success comes from not only personal talent but also team chemistry,Halak fit in nicely with the team,he also brought the team further along in the playoffs than they had been in a long time,his reward for that accomplishment was to be traded,meanwhile Price does nothing but gets injured a lot and chokes when the pressure is on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey