Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:42 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
That's the main issue I have with the all star game, there's more body contact, still no checking though, in lunch time pick up hockey than the all star game. That means no defense whatsoever.
Maybe trying the baseball idea (home ice advantage for the winning conference in the cup final) would make it way more intense.
You got that right! There might be more contact in soccer than the NHL all-star game. Ok so I'm exaggerating but still.

In my perfect world...The NHL would reduce it's season by at least half and cut out the all star break. With more emphasis on each game I think tv viewership would rise in the newer markets giving the league more pull to bring in that big TV deal they so dearly want.

Of course I know this will never happen and I'm only talking pie in the sky stuff but for what it's worth that's what I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 10:21 AM

334 posts, read 1,371,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Osgood is only "osgood" as he is because of the team he plays for. Put him with, say, Edmonton and he'd be a bottom-dweller, Im almost positive of that. As for Nabokov, he's a monster of a goalie, one of the best in the west IMO. When he robbed Kovy twice I had to smile pretty big.
You should've seen the Red wings vs. Coyotes game last night. Osgood was amazing. All-star games are always unfair for goalies.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
You should've seen the Red wings vs. Coyotes game last night. Osgood was amazing. All-star games are always unfair for goalies.
He still gave up 2 goals. Had DET not pulled off a late goal, PHX would have handed them their, what, 2nd loss. lol j/k

He is a good goalie, but I think a bit overrated. The ASG? He got OWNED.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:16 PM

387 posts, read 1,429,789 times
Gotta love Mike Richards!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:16 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
The only time All-Star games and all of the events are fun to watch is when your attending them. Last year when it was here in Dallas we were there for EVERYTHING!!!! It was a BLAST!!! The skills, the game, everything. You get to see players on the ice demonstrate why they are good that you never get to see. I mean the week before Dallas played Buffalo IN Dallas for the first time since The Cup. How sad is that? It will be interesting to see the new schedule breakdown for next year.

Oh, even if they ditched the All-Star game it only takes up a week so it would not reduce the schedule by much. They would have to cut a LOT of games out in order to do that. Right now there are on avg 42 home games. I don't think they can shorten it much more. Since hockey is such a physical sport the players have to stay fresh and if they went too long w/o being on the ice or in a game situation they would lose that touch, imho.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:18 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The only time All-Star games and all of the events are fun to watch is when your attending them. Last year when it was here in Dallas we were there for EVERYTHING!!!! It was a BLAST!!! The skills, the game, everything. You get to see players on the ice demonstrate why they are good that you never get to see. I mean the week before Dallas played Buffalo IN Dallas for the first time since The Cup. How sad is that? It will be interesting to see the new schedule breakdown for next year.

Oh, even if they ditched the All-Star game it only takes up a week so it would not reduce the schedule by much. They would have to cut a LOT of games out in order to do that. Right now there are on avg 42 home games. I don't think they can shorten it much more. Since hockey is such a physical sport the players have to stay fresh and if they went too long w/o being on the ice or in a game situation they would lose that touch, imho.
Not really. I play and I can go 3 or 4 weeks off the ice and come back and perform better then if I had been playing 2 days a week sometimes. Just as long as I'm not sitting on my butt drinking too much beer that is!

But, NHL caliber I'm not so for those guys...maybe you're right. But I still think that a 42 game season would increase viewership because every game is SO much more important. I think players would work harder too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey