Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 12:44 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Vanek is a journeyman forward who does not score enough goals and is inconsistent in point production. He will fill a roster spot for the Red Wings. Red Wings fans should not be too excited about Vanek.

Ott, who played with Vanek for the Buffalo Sabres from 2012 to 2013, is a bottom six forward who plays a good physical game.
Vanek has more upside than Ott. His past few seasons have not been the best but Vanek will have good talent to work with in Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 05:38 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Vanek has more upside than Ott. His past few seasons have not been the best but Vanek will have good talent to work with in Detroit.
Vanek's upside is obviously debatable. He has been able to score goals. When he does not score often and consistently, takes games off, and lacks a strong work ethic, he becomes a liability.

Good talent to work with within the Red Wings is debatable also. The team barely made the playoffs, and were eliminated in the first round.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Vanek's upside is obviously debatable. He has been able to score goals. When he does not score often and consistently, takes games off, and lacks a strong work ethic, he becomes a liability.

Good talent to work with within the Red Wings is debatable also. The team barely made the playoffs, and were eliminated in the first round.
Tampa Bay is one of the best NHL teams. No one was surprised Detroit dropped out in the first round. This does not denote lack of talent. Unless, of course, you think Mrazek, Larkin, Nyquist are minced meat. Mantha is waiting in the wings too. There's a bright future in Detroit.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:03 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Vanek and Ott have contracts that hopefully spur them to prove their worth so they can keep playing.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:06 PM

One bright side of the offseason in Arizona is the resurrection of the Roadrunners, though, operating in Tucson instead of Phoenix. Coyotes moved their AHL operation to Tucson. Hopefully this helps generate more intetest in hockey in the southern Sonoran desert. Look forward to catching a game.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:18 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
One bright side of the offseason in Arizona is the resurrection of the Roadrunners, though, operating in Tucson instead of Phoenix. Coyotes moved their AHL operation to Tucson. Hopefully this helps generate more intetest in hockey in the southern Sonoran desert. Look forward to catching a game.
I'm glad to see NHL teams like Arizona and Columbus move their AHL affiliates closer to their home city. I was extremely thrilled when the Checkers announced they would be the Hurricanes affiliate in 2010, it was the kind of thing the Hurricanes needed to draw more interest from Charlotte. Hopefully this does the same for the Coyotes. Would love to see the Florida teams get in on this, a team in Atlanta would be nice too. At least then Charlotte would have some closer opponents. Right now I think Hershey is the closest city with a team, and they're not even in our conference.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:42 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
I wonder if the University of Arizona basketball program is just too dominant for an AHL team to survive.

I hope it works long term.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I wonder if the University of Arizona basketball program is just too dominant for an AHL team to survive.

I hope it works long term.
I don't think UofA sports will hold any tangible effect on the success of the Roadrunners in Tucson. It will come down to Tucson embracing minor league hockey or not. Tucson metro tips 1 million residents. There's enough room. Once concern might be ticket prices. Minor league tickets have gone up drastically since the mid 90s when I was going to IHL games and could sit on the glass for $12. Will they be priced at a point that casuals or the curious will take a fly on tickets? We'll see what happens. Hoping for a success story.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:20 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Having a competitive Coyotes team along with a good crop of prospects in Tucson should help raise interest in the Roadrunners. The rest should take care of itself.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:32 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
It's so hard to get into the Bruins and the NHL this summer in Boston...after two years of missing the playoffs.

There's hardly any talk of them on local sports radio, understandably. It's such a compelling Sox season, the Celtics are creating a buzz and the Patriots and Brady rule.

Yeah, there's some hockey coverage in the local papers, but...

I can see why fans in weak markets have a hard time being a fan.

It all depends on which market your team is in and how they're doing, right? (And how much the local competition garner's the headlines.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey