Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 09:57 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,312 times

Advertisements

I think players on the Stanley Cup winning team qualify to have their names engraved on the cup if they participated in a certain number of games through the regular season even if they are not with the team during the playoffs. Are there any players who have been on the losing team in the Stanley Cup Finals but yet had their name engraved on the cup because they had been traded from the winning team, to the losing team, during the season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 09:02 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I think, no. You have to be part of the playoff team, however teams can ask to have a name included.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:46 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,312 times
To qualify to have a player's name engraved on the Stanley Cup, a player has to have played in 41 games for the championship team. That is half the regular season. The current trade deadline is March 1st: far beyond the midpoint of the season. So in theory a player could play in 41 games for the Stanley Cup winner, be traded before the deadline, and play against that team in the playoff final series. He would then qualify to have his name engraved on the Cup.

I have no doubt that a player who has his name on the Stanley Cup has played against the Stanley Cup winner during the playoffs. My guess is that it has happened a number of times over the decades. Whether it has occurred in the finals, I do not know.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:32 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I have never heard of it, but I guess it is possible. I would have assumed that a player traded away, would not get his name on the cup. If that player were me (fantasy) I would not want my name on it until I actually won it.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:58 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,232 times
Slava Festisov was traded to the Red Wings by the Devils early in the 94-95 season (after the lockout) and the Devils wound up beating the Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Finals that same year. He didn't get his name on the cup with the Devils that year, he only played 4 games there before the trade.

I think the rule is 41 games, as has been said, but I also believe another stipulation is having to have ended the season with the organization that won the cup. Whether it's as a healthy scratch, injured scratch, non roster player, etc. I think one of the only exceptions is when a player retires mid season or something. Didn't Pascal Dupuis get his name on the cup last year for the Pens, after retiring during the season?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey