Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:30 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Ah, the Panthers.... so many good memories driving 45min from Miami to watch hockey in the middle of nowhere (it's literally right next to the Everglades haha). Let's face it, that part of Florida is not and will never be a hockey market, period. They should just move that team already, to either Quebec City or Seattle, hell move it to Halifax too cause that'll get more people at games. Even if this team was back in downtown Miami they would have a hard time getting at least 10k a game (the only team that gets a good following are the Dolphins/Heat, but only when they play well). Florida, Carolina and Arizona are a failed experiment for hockey and they should move ASAP.
I understand the Predators are pretty successful. I wonder why hockey works in Nashville but not Raleigh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 06:42 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Raleigh, North Carolina, is dominated by college basketball with Duke, North Carolina, and North Carolina State.

I have attended two Carolina Hurricanes games, both against the Pittsburgh Penguins. The ambiance was great. PNC Arena is a great venue. Finding restaurants after the game is a dud. There is nothing around.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:24 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Totally forgot to mention the big trade that happened! What are your opinions of the trade? (winner, losers, all teams won)

To Ottawa: Duchene
To Nash: Turris
To Colorado: A bunch of prospects I never heard of, Andrew Hammond, a 1st,2nd and 3rd round draft pick.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:24 PM

17,200 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Nashville wins this one. Slow start to the season, but they are definitely on the right track.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:36 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Habs win again! finally, some momentum and Lindgren is 5-0-0 career-wise, pretty sick.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:57 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
I understand the Predators are pretty successful. I wonder why hockey works in Nashville but not Raleigh?
Carolina won a cup, Nashville hasn't yet.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:46 PM

17,200 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Carolina won a cup, Nashville hasn't yet.
So it really should be the other way around then.

That said, I do think that having PK Subban on the team helps Nashville a lot more than just on the ice. His flamboyant character and his charitable efforts are perfect to attract attention, regardless of where he goes.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:35 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
Hockey works fine in Raleigh. The team has been completely unwatchable for about 5 years now. They've never been good enough to make the playoffs but never bad enough to draft a franchise player like a Connor McDavid type. They were actually doing fine attendance and interest wise until about 2 years ago and now everyone is calling for them to move to Quebec.

Nashville on the other hand has slowly built a contender, a team that makes the playoffs year after year, and now finally has a team that can compete for the Cup. That is a recipe for success. More people would rather watch that than watch constant years of 9th place finishes, and that goes for any major-league franchise.

I can guarantee the fans in Raleigh will come back if they can put a product on the ice that can at the very least make the playoffs every couple of years. I am as die-hard a fan (I mean come on my username should tell it all!) as they come and I've gotten tired of the same ole 80-something point season with no top-3 pick to look forward too. It isn't fun to watch.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:02 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Totally forgot to mention the big trade that happened! What are your opinions of the trade? (winner, losers, all teams won)

To Ottawa: Duchene
To Nash: Turris
To Colorado: A bunch of prospects I never heard of, Andrew Hammond, a 1st,2nd and 3rd round draft pick.
Pretty excited to see Turris play Saturday night!
Colorado got a good young D-Man in Samuel Girard. He got caught up in numbers as we are stacked in D-Men for the future.

I just hope we don't have to hear the name Duchene again.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:56 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Tuevo Terevainen first career hat-trick tonight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey