Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:09 PM

578 posts, read 2,093,497 times

Advertisements

I’ve got several questions to add to the many on Crosby v AO.

1) I’d like to discuss the skill of both. Crosby had a breakout season last year. This year…while he got hurt…AO turned it up a notch. To me…it appears he upped it a notch over what Sid did last year. I know Sid had more points…but he had more plays…AO had more goals and just appeared to take over games more. Is this statement general agreed or not?

2) I’m a big PIT fan…which means I don’t like the Caps. Nonetheless…I took pride in thinking we had the best player in the league. However…I don’t know…it would stink if our rival..and being from outside DC…ended up with the better, more dominant player. What do you think…is AO simply the better player due to his more physical nature and better shot, goals? Or is he simply the sexier since goals are easier to notice than set ups like Crosby..and that along with him playing the more important center position make him better? Or is it a consensus this is just a stupid, circular argument that is impossible to say yes or no because they are very different players with different tools?

3) Is it me…or is AO a lot…or somewhat more popular, liked, and respected by fans throughout the NHL? If so…why?
When I see the Pens on TV…I hear him get booed a heck of a lot by the other team’s fans…and on message boards I see a lot of bad mouthing for him.
Compare to this with AO who I appear to read nothing but envy from everybody.
What’s going on?
Does AO have a lot better goodwill among NHL fans? Why…is it because he has been less exposed by the media than Crosby? Is it a perception…true or not…that Crosby is a whiner? Do you think with AO’s breakout year…this will start to change and their will be some ill will more balanced towards AO as he is more exposed…and do you think his jubilant celebrations also might irk other fans as Crosby’s so called complaining have?
Also…do you think looks have anything to do with it? Is this possible that Crosby’s…clean appearance make people feel jealous…and AO is seen as more manly…or might AO’s…well less than well grooming…might that make him less popular to come?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,644,314 times
I don't think Crosby is any more of a whiner than anyone else in the league. I think he's hated (by some people, not me) because he is the designated poster boy for the league. You know, how people would boo and taunt Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky.
As far as who is better, I don't get to see either of them play very much. It looks like Crosby is a better playmaker and Ovechkin is the explosive scorer. I wish I could watch both of them more often.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:57 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,227,780 times
I think Crosby is a more complete player top to bottom, Ovetchkin reminds me a lot of Pavel Bure, but with a physical component. Whenever he gets the puck there is the potential for something amazing to happen.

I think they're both good for the game, but I'd argue that neither are the best/most complete players today. I'd vote for Iginla or Thornton. Leadership, scoring, physical and classy. Crosby has to have some adversity to season him a bit, an Ovetchkin will always be about the goals.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,199,967 times
I prefer Ovechkin, he's not a whiny baby like Crosby, has a decent physical presence, and is every bit as talented and alot more fun to watch. Plus, the Pens suck (minus Fleury, Staal, Malkin & Gonchar) and can go take a long walk off a short pier.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 PM

8,779 posts, read 10,193,411 times
I think AO is better than Crosby. I dont even think Crosby is Pittsburgh's best player. I think Malkin is.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:45 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,741,223 times
Those who can, bury the puck...those who can't, pass.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:29 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,498,293 times
Crosby does seem to collapse a little too easily when hit...but aside from that man is he fun to watch. My vote however would go to AO.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM

854 posts, read 2,855,952 times
I can't stand the Crosby hype. I like AO much better.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:47 PM

184 posts, read 1,542,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
I can't stand the Crosby hype. I like AO much better.
Same here. My personal list is (1) Ovechkin (2) Malkin (3) Crosby, by looking at overall factors (not just scoring, etc). Also, IMO Crosby shows flashes of a mean streak that reminds me of Eric Lindros (that's not a compliment btw).

Old 04-15-2008, 09:15 PM

387 posts, read 1,427,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywings View Post
Same here. My personal list is (1) Ovechkin (2) Malkin (3) Crosby, by looking at overall factors (not just scoring, etc). Also, IMO Crosby shows flashes of a mean streak that reminds me of Eric Lindros (that's not a compliment btw).
Nothing wrong with having a mean streak in hockey... its actually a good thing as long as your not an idiot and take stupid penalties... Or get in a fight with Marty McSorley.... Crosby is a great player and also the youngest of the 3, which most people seem to forget. He's only going to get a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey