Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 10:11 AM

2,908 posts, read 5,119,929 times

Advertisements

So sick of the players in the NBA running the teams instead of the GMs.

Sure, NHL players in recent years are likely not as humble and simple as previous generations due to large contracts and social media, but it's still refreshing to hear NHL players speak well, even if in clichés, with no cursing or bleeped out sound bites in most cases.

No ebonics, thankfully. I know it sounds racist, but it's how I feel as an older white male.

Yes, I and some others do have NBA envy at times, often due to its popularity and smothering of hockey talk on the radio abd pop culture even here in Boston, but aspects of the NBA they can keep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 10:26 AM

3,624 posts, read 2,461,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Yes, I and some others do have NBA envy at times, often due to its popularity and smothering of hockey talk on the radio abd pop culture even here in Boston, but aspects of the NBA they can keep.
60, The (perceived) popularity of NBA is inflated by the ESPN-ABC matrix.. Because ESPN/ABC broadcast NBA, they make NBA a continuous talking point on their family of radio networks. ESPN dropped televised NHL several years ago, and essentially blacked out NHL talking points on their radio shows. (I think recently some of the supplemental ESPN channels have added NHL ?, but..)

If u dig in to the viewing numbers, & the affluence of NHL audiences (desired consumers, etc) vs NBA audiences, the NHL is doing relatively well. The gap between NHL success & NBA success/popularity is smaller than it appears. Out of economic self-interest, ESPN radio makes it seem everyone watches NBA, & nobody is watching hockey. Peace.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:31 AM

34,106 posts, read 18,343,082 times
Vastly different leagues, probably due to the racial make up, and the fan base. Yes, sounds racist, and probably is racist, but that is reality. At least with the NHL, the inmates don't run the asylum.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:03 AM

2,908 posts, read 5,119,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Vastly different leagues, probably due to the racial make up, and the fan base. Yes, sounds racist, and probably is racist, but that is reality. At least with the NHL, the inmates don't run the asylum.
Yes, probably racist, but I don't like thug mentality. I admit some or many NBA players seen decent and do much charity work, but when some local talk show hosts and callers in Boston at times are laughing at the NBA soap operas...but it sure has transcended itself from sports to pop culture and keeps these sports radio hosts in business

Even I find myself following some of these NBA activities, as it's always in my face, even in non-sports stories, like Page Six of the NY Post. I couldn't tell you much about Crosby, McDavid, Matthews, Chara, etc. Maybe it's better that way for true hockey fans. Although PK Subban is a wild self promoter, and I kind of like that in a hockey player to an extent, only because it's rare.

Speaking of thugs, I realize some NHL players are on-ice thugs and make fans and non fans ashamed of our sport, never mind some of the NHL domestic violence.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:53 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,984,904 times
The problem with basketball is that it is too predictable. I find the off season and the trade deadline more exciting then the actual games. Every year it is a group of 4-5 teams that only have a shot of winning the title and those same 4-5 teams that make that major playoff run. There are no surprises.

Look at the current season, we still have two more months of regular season and teams are tanking and/or dumping salary for this July . Since 1980 only 11 NBA teams have won a title, with another 8 losing in the Finals ...compare that to the other 3 leagues....

MLB 21 have won , 6 additional teams lost in WS
NHL 17 have won a Stanley Cup , 8 additional teams lost in Finals
NFL 17 have won a Super bowl, 8 additional teams lost in SB

The NBA regular season is totally meaningless. The games are boring , no one can hit a free throw, every other play is a time out, no one passes. How many times you see a player be the first one into the opponents side of the court, pull up at 3 PT line and just shoot it with no teammates near him or underneath the basket? Kristaps Porzingis never drives to hoop or waits underneath basket for rebound. The guy is 7’3” and putting up 3 pointers.

The nba has a serious problem on their hands but as long as idiots like espn keep paying billions for tv rights for a watered down product I guess the league don’t care.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:34 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,969,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
The problem with basketball is that it is too predictable. I find the off season and the trade deadline more exciting then the actual games. Every year it is a group of 4-5 teams that only have a shot of winning the title and those same 4-5 teams that make that major playoff run. There are no surprises.

Look at the current season, we still have two more months of regular season and teams are tanking and/or dumping salary for this July . Since 1980 only 11 NBA teams have won a title, with another 8 losing in the Finals ...compare that to the other 3 leagues....

MLB 21 have won , 6 additional teams lost in WS
NHL 17 have won a Stanley Cup , 8 additional teams lost in Finals
NFL 17 have won a Super bowl, 8 additional teams lost in SB

The NBA regular season is totally meaningless. The games are boring , no one can hit a free throw, every other play is a time out, no one passes. How many times you see a player be the first one into the opponents side of the court, pull up at 3 PT line and just shoot it with no teammates near him or underneath the basket? Kristaps Porzingis never drives to hoop or waits underneath basket for rebound. The guy is 7’3” and putting up 3 pointers.

The nba has a serious problem on their hands but as long as idiots like espn keep paying billions for tv rights for a watered down product I guess the league don’t care.
Yes. And it's a shame, because basketball itself can be very entertaining to watch. But when players like Harden run the show by standing at the free throw line for 20 out of 30 point per game while playing absolutely no defense and selling fouls at the slightest touch, I'd rather just tune in to hockey or soccer. Yes, even MLS provides more entertainment for me than the NBA.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 76,500,303 times
Substitution on the fly, and Continuous action in Hockey are fabulous.
60 minutes of Hockey is 60 minutes of play.
2+ minutes of continuous action when a team cannot clear the puck is just amazing to watch.

NBA and NFL are far too dragged out, far too much standing around on the clock. BO-ring!
Baseball has more interesting pace than NBA or NFL.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:40 PM

8,769 posts, read 10,168,898 times
The "I've got to get mine" attitude plagues the NBA and is worse today than it was even 5 years ago. I'm a long-time fan of the league and my interest has been in decline for about 3 years now and counting.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:21 AM

35 posts, read 35,248 times
I don't like the general "victim" mentality that predicates the NBA today. Lebron James is the epidemy of this even though the man owns a $50 million house with a 40 foot gate. Hypocrite.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:39 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times
...quite frankly, a few of you here have just displayed why many (mostly minorities) people have no real interest in hockey.

It has nothing to do with the game itself. It's the fans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey