U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 03:19 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,206,740 times

Advertisements

NHL held a return to play meeting today, and tomorrow Bettman talks with Government officials from US and Canada about European players returning in relation to travel bans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 12:19 PM

NHL and NHLPA meeting today and tomorrow. Possible announcement Tuesday on a confirmed playoff format.
Preferred plan is 24 teams but could shrink. All games most likely to be held in Canada.
Vancouver, Edmonton and maybe a third or fourth location.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
NHL and NHLPA meeting today and tomorrow. Possible announcement Tuesday on a confirmed playoff format.
Preferred plan is 24 teams but could shrink. All games most likely to be held in Canada.
Vancouver, Edmonton and maybe a third or fourth location.
Looks like Canada having hub cities may be out. They want players returning from Europe to quarantine. Looks like Vegas as one hub, and rumors of Columbus being another.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:57 PM

7,733 posts, read 8,680,053 times
I'm not sure what to think about this 24 team playoff format thats being proposed.

On one hand it will be cool to have live Hockey again, but on the other hand, w/o fans and being in "hub cities" it will just look weird and thats a lot of teams competing. But given the circumstances there's really nothing that can be done to please everybody.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I'm not sure what to think about this 24 team playoff format thats being proposed.

On one hand it will be cool to have live Hockey again, but on the other hand, w/o fans and being in "hub cities" it will just look weird and thats a lot of teams competing. But given the circumstances there's really nothing that can be done to please everybody.
On a positive note, an empty arena means camera's closer to the action, with better angles. Could actually bring more interest to the game. The biggest reason for not being a fan of the game is because it's often hard to follow the puck while watching on TV.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:21 PM

7,733 posts, read 8,680,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
On a positive note, an empty arena means camera's closer to the action, with better angles. Could actually bring more interest to the game. The biggest reason for not being a fan of the game is because it's often hard to follow the puck while watching on TV.
Depends on the venues the leagues chooses to use I suppose. Haven't really heard anything about this other than Las Vegas being the hub for the Finals.

I do think the league could see some record-breaking ratings depending on if the NBA and MLB continue to delay their seasons.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:52 PM

888 posts, read 517,190 times
Quote:

My biggest gripe with it is that clearly they boosted it from 20 to 24 solely to get Montreal, Chicago, and New York Rangers into the playoffs. I get it, big markets, ratings, revenue. It’s just really transparent.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Depends on the venues the leagues chooses to use I suppose. Haven't really heard anything about this other than Las Vegas being the hub for the Finals.

I do think the league could see some record-breaking ratings depending on if the NBA and MLB continue to delay their seasons.
Rumors of Hub Cities keep changing, but I believe the 4 preferred sites are; Vegas, Columbus, Edmonton and Vancouver. But like I stated in a previous post, the border issue plus returning Euro players could keep it all in the states.

On another note I read the phase 2 doc, and it has put the AHL on standby, although no explanation for that purpose. There is concern about the 8 teams getting a 1st round bye, not being as sharp when going against teams that already played 3, 4 or 5 games. So perhaps AHL players will be used to scrimmage, while the first rounds are being played.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:43 AM

904 posts, read 724,946 times
Interesting to see what happens with the NHL draft and before that the lottery system. Although my team isn't in the 24 team format, at least it's hockey and should be great to watch consider we haven't had live sports in months.

Old 05-26-2020, 03:41 PM

2,859 posts, read 717,457 times
It's now official, we got 24 teams for the playoffs. https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-planning-24-t...rmat-1.1479427

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/...81481939156992
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey