Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:22 PM

523 posts, read 1,282,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im not a fan, but I can answer. This tradition goes back a long ways, when the Finals were won in 8 games, not 7. Fans throw an octopus (not squid ) because the 8 legs symbolize the 8 victories that used to be needed to win.

Its a unique tradition, but the next time some Wing trash throws that crap on our ice Im gonna do all I can to get those rednecks ejected.

Wow, Steve, why the hostility?

Throwing Octopi is a tradition and has nothing to do with being a "redneck."

Go Wings!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 05:56 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
"Let's go Red Wings"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:31 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Regarding the Avs sorry performance, to quote British comic Monty Python; "This is a putrid pile of parrot droppings!"

Old 04-30-2008, 08:49 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKwame View Post
Wow, Steve, why the hostility?

Throwing Octopi is a tradition and has nothing to do with being a "redneck."

Go Wings!!
Do it at the Joe, but dont frickin throw that crap on our Indian Head.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,006 times
I can understand your dislike for the Red Wings, Steve-O, being a Blackhawks fan, but the organization and players seem to be pretty classy.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:24 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
I gotta say, my hatred of the wings stems solely from the club's consisent success. If they'd spend 5-10 seasons or so in the cellar like every other team does from time to time, I wouldn't hate them so. Every wings fan I've ever met has been extremely nice, cordial and actually fairly humble, in stark contrast to most every flyers fan I've ever met...

Old 04-30-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
I can understand your dislike for the Red Wings, Steve-O, being a Blackhawks fan, but the organization and players seem to be pretty classy.
Sure, a few players are nice (as is Babcock), but there are also some dirty birds on the team. Who can forget Bertuzzi? Chelios? Yeah, his 7 cross checks to Kane late this season was realllll classy. Dallas Drake is also dirty IMO. And their fans are not classy at all, at least not the kind that infest the UC when we play the Wangs. I was at the home opener and 2 Wang fans (chicks) a section to the left of us were obnoxious. It got to the point where they wouldnt even sit down. Everyone was yelling at them to sit down and they actually gave us the finger, thats when all Hell broke loose. Security came and told them to sit down and they STILL REFUSED. Thats when they got ejected and our whole section began singing "sha na na na, sha na na na, hey, hey, hey, goooodbye". Ive also seen numerous fights break out between DET and CHI fans at many games. And the whole octopus-chucking thing has to stop, at least here in Chicago. Its stupid (and against stadium policy).

Old 04-30-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I gotta say, my hatred of the wings stems solely from the club's consisent success. If they'd spend 5-10 seasons or so in the cellar like every other team does from time to time
They spent 40 years in the cellar. Lately, though, theyve been very successful. Their "holier-than-thou" attitude amongst their fans is what creates the most controversy.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:45 AM

687 posts, read 2,031,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
They spent 40 years in the cellar. Lately, though, theyve been very successful. Their "holier-than-thou" attitude amongst their fans is what creates the most controversy.
Whatevah.

The team has worked hard and worked their butts off for what they've earned. Yes, there were a few years that they decided to spend some money. Perhaps that's what rubs people the wrong way. But those days are long gone. And there have been years that the playoffs were less than pretty for them.

Any team that wins the Stanley Cup, in my opinion, deserves to walk with a puffed chest for a few months. There is nothing wrong with taking pride in what you've accomplished. And for a city like Detroit, it's not like they have a lot else going for them. So when teams like the Red Wings and at times the Pistons bring a championship home, why not be happy and stuff?

As far as holier than thou? Not sure there really is a lot of that in hockey. I'd say I see that more in the NFL and even MLB in the past. Throw a bit of the Chicago Bulls fans back from the 90's. Talk about entitlement fans.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:16 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
The best place to see a Wing's game IMO, is in Columbus. I went for the first time in March. We had Time Warner seats. They had a GREAT buffet. Anything you would want. Then at first break, they put out snack foods. All we wanted. Nationwide arena is beautiful and the fans and staff are fabulous. The funniest thing the happen was my hubby stood to take a picture and had the camera backward. About blinded himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey