Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 08:41 PM

389 posts, read 398,736 times

Advertisements

If your team is doing good, you probably don’t want your superstars putting themselves at risk for injury. That being said, when your team is performing poorly, the only thing that would get you out of your seat would be a fight.

I think fighting should not be allowed in the NHL. I had it with seeing people with missing teeth and scars on their face for a small rumble. This is not pro boxing. If you want to punch your opponent get into a ring and become a boxer.

The other reason fighting should be dismissed is because every fight almost escalates into something bigger. Teammates often step into the fight to back up their teammates, but this is really like putting gasoline on a fire because your opponent will react the same way.

With all the equipment these guys wear still cannot prevent you from having someone blindside you on the ice. Do you think there is enough protective equipment worn these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 09:12 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Should fighting be banned?

No.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:40 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,295,435 times
No fighting would mean more dirty hits, more severe injuries. Fighting is a way to vent frustration, keeps the game safer. Fighting in the NHL will never be banned.

Old 03-03-2021, 04:58 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
No.

Next question?

Old 03-03-2021, 06:46 AM

1,977 posts, read 966,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
No fighting would mean more dirty hits, more severe injuries. Fighting is a way to vent frustration, keeps the game safer. Fighting in the NHL will never be banned.
Well said. I agree with this.

Fighting should be allowed. The nature of hockey is physical anyways, so why get rid of it?

Old 03-04-2021, 10:08 PM

389 posts, read 398,736 times
Then why do other sports suspend athletes for similar behavior?

Old 03-05-2021, 04:46 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,295,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
Then why do other sports suspend athletes for similar behavior?
Fighting in Hockey has always been part of the game. Although it has been toned done, it is technically against the rules as in other sports. Players engaged in fighting go to the penalty box.
Guys that fight in Hockey today usually do it in a respectful way. Refs keep it to a point things do not get out of hand with no serious injury.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:50 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,979,382 times
It is okay if you do not like hockey. There is other sports for you to watch.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:54 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Quote:
If your team is doing good, you probably don’t want your superstars putting themselves at risk for injury. That being said, when your team is performing poorly, the only thing that would get you out of your seat would be a fight.

I think fighting should not be allowed in the NHL. I had it with seeing people with missing teeth and scars on their face for a small rumble. This is not pro boxing. If you want to punch your opponent get into a ring and become a boxer.

The other reason fighting should be dismissed is because every fight almost escalates into something bigger. Teammates often step into the fight to back up their teammates, but this is really like putting gasoline on a fire because your opponent will react the same way.

With all the equipment these guys wear still cannot prevent you from having someone blindside you on the ice. Do you think there is enough protective equipment worn these days?

Kinda like saying people only watch racing for the wrecks.

There certainly are people like that, but they're not racing fans.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:36 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Some of the best hockey games i have ever seen were between the Detroit Red Wings and the Colorado Avalanche back in the years 1996 to 2002 time frame. Those two teams won 5 Cups during that span. They had stars who could score and fight. We loved it.

Quote:

I think “blindsiding” has gotten worse since they cracked down on fighting. Things like that were what made things escalate, not the fights. That wasn’t true back when bench clearing brawls happened. I never liked those.

Missing teeth usually doesn’t happen in fights. It happens from cross checks to the mouth, or high sticks, or a puck to the face. I have seen those many times, but cannot recall a fight where someone got their teeth knocked out.

How long have you been watching the game? (My answer, before you ask, is is me 1980.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey