Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 03:18 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,702,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Someone would have to change conferences to make that happen. Good luck getting either Detroit or Columbus to commit to this since they'd be the likely candidates for this.
Realignment takes 22 votes on the 32-seat Board of Governors to approve. No single team (or, for that matter, not even a unified group of ten teams) can block it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 03:41 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,295,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Maybe the Islanders or Devils should move -- does the NY metro area really have enough interest for three teams?
Absolutely. All 3 have a strong fan base and make money.

Old 02-01-2022, 04:46 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryFunk View Post

I'd argue this has been why Detroit's arrival in the East has gone mostly unnoticed.
I’d argue it’s because Detroit was not a strong team anymore when they made the move.

Old 03-21-2022, 10:26 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times
If the National Hockey League returns to Québec City, it would be in the form of an expansion team. The Montréal Canadiens could use competition as they have trended downward in recent seasons. The league could expand to 36 teams, and expand the schedule to 86 games per team (4 against division rivals, 2 against every other team).

Old 03-26-2022, 01:38 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Maybe the Islanders or Devils should move -- does the NY metro area really have enough interest for three teams?
That too. There are apparently more Rangers Fans in both NJ, and LI. But it is the largest metro, so I say keep NJ since more people in NNJ than on LI. Where can they go dont know. Perhaps the GTA/Hamilton as they are third largest NA metro.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 03-26-2022 at 01:56 PM..

Old 03-26-2022, 01:55 PM

All divisions, or segmentation of teams should and must be done by geographic area. Travel times and costs come down this way. Regular season rivalries have to be based on geography. That way fair weather fans can also travel more often and keep costs down.

If some divisions have less teams then just play outside teams a few times more, no biggie. Its ridiculous that the Florida teams are grouped with Toronto, and Montreal

Old 03-26-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If the National Hockey League returns to Québec City, it would be in the form of an expansion team. The Montréal Canadiens could use competition as they have trended downward in recent seasons. The league could expand to 36 teams, and expand the schedule to 86 games per team (4 against division rivals, 2 against every other team).
I think they should shrink the number of games. Hockey is grueling. Players could use rest. I remember one of the shorten seasons. The games were better. The players had more in the gas tank. I believe I saw more overtimes because the teams behind made comebacks and forced OT.

Well the schedule was same density wise or more condensed, but the players started late so more off season recovery. Imagine a less condensed regular no hold out season that starts on time.

There is barely any time to even hold practices. They have practices the morning of a game. What other sports does that? Both gridiron football, and soccer/assoc have days off before the game. Hockey is like football, and soccer combined.

Remember that year Columbus suspended practice, and they went on an unprecedented run of straight games undefeated.

But I understand they trying to max gate sales. But seriously what team during the regular season even sells out most games?

Old 03-26-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Absolutely. All 3 have a strong fan base and make money.
Teams move because potentially make even more money. Isle fan base is aging too. High COL is driving a lot of the next gen out. Same for Rangers and NJ, but Isles and literally confined to LI.

Old 03-27-2022, 12:47 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,295,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133;63155521[COLOR="Red"
]Teams move because potentially make even more money.[/color] Isle fan base is aging too. High COL is driving a lot of the next gen out. Same for Rangers and NJ, but Isles and literally confined to LI.
The three NYC metro teams are making money and would be part of the last to move, where as franchises in Arizona, Columbus and Southern Florida who have been operating at a loss for several years would move first. But at any rate bringing another team to Quebec City is not and will not be under discussion by the league for the foreseeable future.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:39 AM

17,119 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I think they should shrink the number of games. Hockey is grueling. Players could use rest. I remember one of the shorten seasons. The games were better. The players had more in the gas tank. I believe I saw more overtimes because the teams behind made comebacks and forced OT.

Well the schedule was same density wise or more condensed, but the players started late so more off season recovery. Imagine a less condensed regular no hold out season that starts on time.

There is barely any time to even hold practices. They have practices the morning of a game. What other sports does that? Both gridiron football, and soccer/assoc have days off before the game. Hockey is like football, and soccer combined.

Remember that year Columbus suspended practice, and they went on an unprecedented run of straight games undefeated.
I agree with this... EVERYONE is sore the day after playing a game. Having back-to-back games, or even 2 games in 3 days, diminishes the quality of play and increases the risk of injury. This isn't baseball. It's a combination of stamina, endurance, HIIT, and brute strength.

Less games, more on the line for each game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey