Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:19 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,919,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
The beauty of this schedule is, the NHL gets to keep the same number of divisional games they have now -- 8 games against each divisional opponent! And out of 82 games, 52 would still be within the conference.

Somebody get Bettman on the phone!
I do like the suggestion quite a bit. The only downside (not necessarily to me, but perhaps to the NHL and some fans) is that non-conf. games get the same # of games as non-div. games in the same conf.

Changing topics, what do people think about the shootout after OT? I like it, but I think the 1 point "reward" given to both teams just to make it into OT should be removed. The winner should get 2 points and the loser get 0 points, just like in the MLB and NBA, where the loser doesn't get a reward just to make it into extra innings or OT.

And as a 3rd topic, is the NHL still kicking around ideas to remove the center line to allow 2-line passes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 06:15 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I do like the suggestion quite a bit. The only downside (not necessarily to me, but perhaps to the NHL and some fans) is that non-conf. games get the same # of games as non-div. games in the same conf.

Changing topics, what do people think about the shootout after OT? I like it, but I think the 1 point "reward" given to both teams just to make it into OT should be removed. The winner should get 2 points and the loser get 0 points, just like in the MLB and NBA, where the loser doesn't get a reward just to make it into extra innings or OT.

And as a 3rd topic, is the NHL still kicking around ideas to remove the center line to allow 2-line passes?
I don't mind the shootout, but I'm with you on the points. It's ridiculous to reward a team for getting to overtime and then losing. The NHL either needs to abandon the points system altogether and just go by winning percentage, or else go back to allowing ties, and awarding 1 point to each team in games that end in a draw.

As for the center line, it's already ignored as it relates to passing. The league does allow two-line passes now. That was one of Bettman's tweaks to try to increase scoring.

And there's my biggest beef with Bettman. He seems obsessed with increasing scoring. The league added the trapezoid around the net, and the crease is pretty much meaningless, since players can virtually have their entire bodies positioned in there when they shoot. Now there's talk again of mandating smaller goalie equipment, or making the nets bigger, or both.

What he doesn't get is that THIS ISN'T BASKETBALL! I don't need to see a 14-10 goalfest to be entertained. Hell, sometimes a 1-0 defensive epic with spectacular saves is the most exciting the game you'll see. In fact, just the opposite with those high-scoring affairs -- I find them painfully dull most of the time. Jacking up the scores will NOT make people want to watch hockey more than they do now.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:52 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,858 times
Is it October yet

I am glad to see this thread !!!!! and I look forward to the new format!

Old 06-14-2008, 06:54 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,322,791 times
Shootouts is pointless and dull.
So is the OT.
What´s wrong with a tie?

Old 06-14-2008, 10:51 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,919,325 times
Quote:
I don't mind the shootout, but I'm with you on the points. It's ridiculous to reward a team for getting to overtime and then losing. The NHL either needs to abandon the points system altogether and just go by winning percentage, or else go back to allowing ties, and awarding 1 point to each team in games that end in a draw.

As for the center line, it's already ignored as it relates to passing. The league does allow two-line passes now. That was one of Bettman's tweaks to try to increase scoring.

And there's my biggest beef with Bettman. He seems obsessed with increasing scoring. The league added the trapezoid around the net, and the crease is pretty much meaningless, since players can virtually have their entire bodies positioned in there when they shoot. Now there's talk again of mandating smaller goalie equipment, or making the nets bigger, or both.

What he doesn't get is that THIS ISN'T BASKETBALL! I don't need to see a 14-10 goalfest to be entertained. Hell, sometimes a 1-0 defensive epic with spectacular saves is the most exciting the game you'll see. In fact, just the opposite with those high-scoring affairs -- I find them painfully dull most of the time. Jacking up the scores will NOT make people want to watch hockey more than they do now.
Yes, you're right, now I remember when the NHL resumed after the lockout, that the center line would be ignored for long passes. Yes, it seems like Bettman seems hellbent on increasing scoring wherever possible. I wouldn't be surprised if he instituted soccer goal-size nets.

But while you and I may be more traditionalists and appreciate low scoring games and shutouts, I do think most of the casual fans like seeing more goals scored. Maybe not 14-10 style, but perhaps Bettman would like to see more 5-4 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Shootouts is pointless and dull.
So is the OT.
What´s wrong with a tie?
IMO, ties suck. They're too Mr. Roger'ish. There's a winner and a loser and that's it. None of this, "you tried hard, so we'll give you partial credit". I wish the NFL abolished ties as well (albeit they're rare there).

Old 06-14-2008, 12:20 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
Quote:

I like the shoot-out. I personally think tie-games are LAME! and I am glad the league got rid of the Tie. About the points, I think its fine the way it is, but it wouldnt bother me if it were to be changed.

I think the idea of the Trapezoid behind the net was odd, few goalies ever played the puck outside of that area anyway before the lock-out.

I have also heard that the NHL wants bigger nets, this was discussed on PTI and Around the Horn last march. I think the NHL should do nothing about it. 1-0 hockey games like YoAdrian said can be some of the best games one would ever witness. But of course occasinely, some games are a high-scoring affair and are fun to watch.

Dont bring back the two-line pass.

Here is a ?- Should the NHL go 4 on 4? I say no, but somebody said the league is interested in trying this.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:19 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
You know what I'd like to see? It'll probably never happen, but it seems like a scheduling dream:

-- 8 games (4 home, 4 away) against each team in the division. (32 games)
-- 2 games (1 home, 1 away) against every other team in the league. (50 games)

And there's your 82-game schedule.

I suppose it'll never happen, though.

Now I can go for this. I'm w/ everyone else, it gets VERY OLD seeing the same teams over and over and over and over and over. I'm SICK of going to Stars games and seeing the Coyotes, Ducks, Kings, etc all the stinkin time. When Buffalo came to town that game was HYPED to the max and people that are causal hockey fans wanted to see it.

Two line pass has been around for a few seasons now. That was the rule change that those redwings fans that sat beside me at a game back in 2006-2007 did not know.

I like the shootout and don't have a problem with it at all. Really high scoring games all the time in hockey don't show skill. They just turn into a scoring fest. A TRUE hockey fan can appreciate a 10 hard fought game. Sure sometimes a high scoring game can be fun but is it challenging. Is it MAKING the players work for those goals?

They have already decreased the size of the pads that can be worn by the goalies to "hopefully" keep them from blocking the entire net w/ their body by just standing there. Okay fine, that just means they need to be more talented. I can dig that.

4x4, NO!!! Not only NO BUT H E E E E L L L L L NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Leave it 5x5. This one would **** off fans AND players, imho. Sure I love 4x4 hockey but it is the "thrill" one gets when it happens. Taking that away cheapens the game.

Good grief.......... somebody PLEASE bet Beatman out of that office.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:05 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Lets make some predictions here:

Most surprising team in the East for 08-09?--- Florida or Atlanta, the Panthers are overdue for a playoff spot, and the Thrashers should get better this year.
ATLANTA?

Based on what, may I ask?

Ownership group in turmoil......been in court for 2 years battling it out over who actually has control. None of them have the first clue about the sport of hockey.

Worst GM in the NHL. Don Waddell has NEVER drafted and developed any decent defenseman, centers or goaltenders, and yes that includes the HUGE bust that is Kari Lehtonen. He's seen 2 superstar forwards jump ship (Heatley & Hossa), with a 3rd (Kovalchuk) already making noise about leaving as soon as his contract is up. He actually did something right in signing Marc Savard, then blatantly let him walk after he blossomed into one of the greatest playmaking centers in the league, leaving the star forwards with no one to get them the puck. Drafted Braydon Coburn with the idea that he would be a top pairing d-man eventually, then labled him a bust after he had only played a handful of games in Atlanta, then traded him to the Flyers, where he quickly became a solid contributor on a team that reinvented itself after a horrible season in '06-'07. Consistently signs, trades for, and overpays BUMS such as Alexi Zhitnik, Bobby Holik, Todd White, Damian Rhodes, Nic Havelid, Eric Perrin, Greg DeVries, Jaroslav Modry....my God, the list is endless! Fired Bob Hartley, the only coach to guide this team into the postseason, after only 6 games last season.

This team went from its first playoff birth (which took 7 years to happen) to being one of the worst teams in the NHL in one season. Please list some reasons why you think they're gonna be better in '08-'09, because there is absolutely no evidence to support that statement.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:46 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,322,791 times
Quote:
IMO, ties suck. They're too Mr. Roger'ish. There's a winner and a loser and that's it. None of this, "you tried hard, so we'll give you partial credit". I wish the NFL abolished ties as well (albeit they're rare there).
There´s no point in continuing if they can´t manage to win during the first 60 minutes.
And no one stays and watch the shootout anyway.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:10 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,530 times
Quote:
Yes, you're right, now I remember when the NHL resumed after the lockout, that the center line would be ignored for long passes. Yes, it seems like Bettman seems hellbent on increasing scoring wherever possible. I wouldn't be surprised if he instituted soccer goal-size nets.

But while you and I may be more traditionalists and appreciate low scoring games and shutouts, I do think most of the casual fans like seeing more goals scored. Maybe not 14-10 style, but perhaps Bettman would like to see more 5-4 games.
Yeah, that's probably more like it. But ha! Soccer nets! It's probably just a matter of time!

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not big on ties, either. I didn't mind them as much in hockey, but I'd definitely like to see them abolished in the NFL. When you only play 16 games a year, you need to play until you have a winner and a loser. My $0.02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey