Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 02:37 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times

Advertisements

Steve-o, you should be ashamed of yourself for being a "Blackhawks" fan!

Detroit took one of your greatest players-Chris Chelios-and he finally won a "ring" which would of never happened in Chicago!

Kidding aside-The only team to have been able to beat Detroit with consistency in the last 15+ years were New Jersey Devils! (da#n that Martin Brodeur)

The Wings are the NHL equivalent of New York Yankees. (maybe times are changing..who knows)

Claude Lemuix was public enemy #1 in Detroit for the longest time thanks to his long compiled list of cheap-shots!

BTW-Steve-o, do you like the new NHL rules? (more of a free-style game now?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 03:39 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Kidding aside-The only team to have been able to beat Detroit with consistency in the last 15+ years were New Jersey Devils! (da#n that Martin Brodeur)
See what I mean when I say Go Devils!!!!!

Old 01-18-2007, 03:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Steve-o, you should be ashamed of yourself for being a "Blackhawks" fan!

Detroit took one of your greatest players-Chris Chelios-and he finally won a "ring" which would of never happened in Chicago!

The Wings are the NHL equivalent of New York Yankees. (maybe times are changing..who knows)

Claude Lemuix was public enemy #1 in Detroit for the longest time thanks to his long compiled list of cheap-shots!

BTW-Steve-o, do you like the new NHL rules? (more of a free-style game now?)
Hey, cmon now. Whats to be ashamed of?

Chelios was a great player, but far from our best. Denis Savard, Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito, Glenn Hall, Bobby Hull. We have some nice talent on our team right now as well, but we suck at penalty kill and power plays, probably the worst in the NHL. Martin Havlat, Tuomo Ruutu, Nikolai Khabibulin, Brian Boucher, Patrick Sharp, Tony Salmaleinen, Radim Vrbata, Martin LaPointe, Cam Barker, etc all have immense talent, but are held back somewhat by our management. And what really pisses me off is that the owner (Bill Wirtz Sr) doesnt allow home games to be broadcast. Its his crooked way of trying to get more people to come to the games. What a jerk!

As for the Wings being the Yankees of the NHL? No way. That would be the Canadiens and Maple Leafs, more so the Canadiens and there 24 (I think) Stanley Cup victories.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:06 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ya see, teams like Dallas are just expansion teams (BOO!!!!!!!) with new fans that could care less about the team, they just go to hang out at the stadium and have fun for one night, 90% of them couldnt name more than 2 players on the team. Detroit is one of the Original 6 teams dating back to 1926 (Same with my hawks), theyll always have a loyal following, regardless how bad theyre doing, and most of them have relocated so home games for other teams are usually full or Wings jerseys. These expansion teams shouldnt complain. Theyre new with no history, clueless crowds, in places where hockey doesnt belong. LMBO Hockey in the desert??? Thats just wrong! Just my opinion....
Hey, don't knock the states that aren't supposed to have hockey teams. I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex and the Stars are somewhat big here, kinda sorta. Sure hockey is a northern sport, and down here in Texas, the Stars will always be a second thought behind the Cowboys, Texans, Mavericks, Spurs, Rockets, college/high school football and even the Rangers and Astros... but the Stars are great.
(chuckles). I like the Stars, and alot of North Texans like 'em to. But your're right about one thing, the Southern U.S. is just NOT a hockey area.
But hey, the way I see it, the Stars aren't a soccer team, so I like 'em.
By the way, Dallas has the All-Star game...and the buzz couldn't be any lower. Go Stars!!!!

Old 01-18-2007, 04:19 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
LOL!!! JJG. I'm a HUGE Stars and hockey fan and I'm a NATIVE TEXAN . For years the games were sold out. We sat records w/ every game for attendance. Then the move to the new AAC, ehhh (more bathrooms so that was good) and then the doomed strike. That really knocked a lot of people and many sth's did not renew. Before that if you were not a sth you could not get a ticket to a game at all. When the strike ended and previous sth's had the chance many did not take it so it really opened it up to a lot of people/fans that had never had the chance before. The last two years have picked up in attendance. There are some HUGE hockey/Stars fans here in the Big D and most ARE natives. LOL!!! We have really gotten into the sport. I guess it is the fights . Or could it be the good looking players (a lot of women LOVE the sport). Anyway, I've been turned off from the cowboys for a loooooong time. Baseball is BORING to watch. Never got into basketball. So ice hockey is awesome. So much so that during the strike we bought season tickets for the Texas Tornado's. Those are some REALLY fun games to go to. I will agree that at the games now it has become more corporate . I hate sitting in front of some guys that talk business the whole time, loudly too (and you can hear their east coast accent to boot ), ignore the game then get mad when we all stand for a good play, fight or whatever. If ya wanna talk business, go to the club or somewhere else. LOL!!! Talk to anyone that used to go to games at Reunion, they were so much fun. The entire arena even those in the "nosebleeds" were a part of the game. We could really make some noise in there. Now, not even close. If your one that sits in the upper deck your so far from the game and the people below can not even hear ya. I wish we could get rid of the idea that all sports arenas need to be HUGE and all. The old ones were more intimate and lively.

Yea, it is kind of quiet here w/ the local media w/ the upcoming All-Stars coming into town. I hope they do more to pump it up. It does upset me that the Stars can be doing awesome and every other team be sucking but on the news they don't even mention the Stars even if they just finished a game and WON!!!! Maybe some of the fans need to all wear their jerseys and go protest in front of the studios now that Ch. 8 is in their new digs right there by the AAC. You know the commercial for them now? "Nothing intimidates like Stars Hockey."

GO STARS

Old 01-18-2007, 05:01 PM

http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/facility/index.html (broken link)

Actually, the Hawks set NHL attendance records, first team to break that mark, but thats cool that Dallas seems to be doing good (er, until the strike came )!! I say lets just get rid of Carolina, Atlanta, Phoenix, Anaheim, and Tampa Bay, so that way we can cut down the amount of teams and concentrate the talent to other teams.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:23 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Just two quick questions.
Which player do you think is better? Alex Ovechkin, the NHL 07 coverboy or Sydney Crosby, "the Next Great One"? (forgive me if I mispelled the names)
And
Did you here that the Pittsburg Penguins could be moving. (They've probably talked about that for a long time, I bet).

Old 01-18-2007, 05:53 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Hey, cmon now. Whats to be ashamed of?

Chelios was a great player, but far from our best. Denis Savard, Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito, Glenn Hall, Bobby Hull. We have some nice talent on our team right now as well, but we suck at penalty kill and power plays, probably the worst in the NHL. Martin Havlat, Tuomo Ruutu, Nikolai Khabibulin, Brian Boucher, Patrick Sharp, Tony Salmaleinen, Radim Vrbata, Martin LaPointe, Cam Barker, etc all have immense talent, but are held back somewhat by our management. And what really pisses me off is that the owner (Bill Wirtz Sr) doesnt allow home games to be broadcast. Its his crooked way of trying to get more people to come to the games. What a jerk!

As for the Wings being the Yankees of the NHL? No way. That would be the Canadiens and Maple Leafs, more so the Canadiens and there 24 (I think) Stanley Cup victories.
Yeah, you're right! I'm tellin' half-truths again!

You'd have to admit though, between all the good players from Canadian teams leaving for U.S. teams and before the strike/rule change-that windowframe or era, the Red Wings were of something like the Yankees by outbiding the competition, hence getting all the high talent players-and like the Yankees, they should of won it just every year!

Hey, Steve-o...we're about the same age...remember the Maple Leaf Garden?...to me, that was a true ice-arena! It seemed to be the epitome of what an ice rink should be. (IMO)

As far as the Blackhawks...i know the feeling..i am a loyal Tigers fan and as you well know, they've stunk for a long time up until this year. Hang in there for another fifty years for your beloved Blackhawks! (*rimshot*)

Old 01-18-2007, 07:54 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times
Well, here's the guy who inspired me to play at the high school level. This is Bobby Orr, who was one of the greatest play makers ever. The attached pic was taken just after he scored the Stanley cup winning goal in 1970 against St. Louis. These days any of the original six could win the cup and I'd be ok with it. I do have soft spots, however, for teams like Buffalo, Ottawa and Edmonton. Actually, I guess any Canadian team gets my support come playoff time with the sole exception being Montreal. (sorry, too much of a stretch to love the B's and root for the C's)

The old stadiums like Maple Leaf Gardens, Montreal Forum, Boston Garden and Chicago Stadium made for great games with their tiny rinks.

Steve-o: How'd that Chicago - Boston Game turn out?
Attached Thumbnails
Any NHL fans out there??? Pics inside...-039_38754a.jpg  

Old 01-19-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Just two quick questions.
Which player do you think is better? Alex Ovechkin, the NHL 07 coverboy or Sydney Crosby, "the Next Great One"? (forgive me if I mispelled the names)
And
Did you here that the Pittsburg Penguins could be moving. (They've probably talked about that for a long time, I bet).
Crosby, he still leads the league in points and probably will continue to do so. As for the Penguins, that sucks, but the rumor is true, the NHL is trying to figure out what to do with them. They should stay put. Knowing my luck theyll probably end up in another garbage desert town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey