Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:26 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,989,101 times

Advertisements

Montreal definitely! Any other city on top of it in any survey would see the survey LOSE its credibility automatically!

There is a reason why NHL players gave Montreal the distinction of having the BEST hockey fans (mind you in that survey they were NOT allowed to vote for their current team's fanbases). If you wanna find out visit the city for yourself. And see why fans are rabid enough to go crazy and riot during championship matches! :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The only problem with Habs fans are that they are fickle. When the team doesn't do well, they ***** incessently.

I'd make the argument that Leaf fans are the most loyal, maybe not the most passionate, but loyal. They've had crap ownership, outrageous prices, limited viewership, and above all garbage teams for over 40 years. They still sell out, and season tickets are willed away.

If the Habs had been 40 years without a cup, they would have burned the Forum/Bell Centre down.

Vancouver has some of the best fans too. Never won a cup, but listen to the anthem during the playoffs, and I challenge anyone not to have chills.
Nothing wrong with b****in incessantly! Still shows you care for the team even if you get frustrated!

Old 04-05-2009, 04:02 AM

172 posts, read 608,381 times
Montreal without a doubt has the most fan base of any team in the NHL. When the Habs are on the road it seems that at least half of the crowd are cheering for Montreal. I would also say the Leafs, Wings, Bruins, Blackhawks, Canucks, Flames, Oilers, Flyers, and Avalanche all also have rabid fan bases. As an aside, it is good to see the Blues doing so well and competing for a playoff spot, I hope they make it.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.k-la View Post
Montreal without a doubt has the most fan base of any team in the NHL. When the Habs are on the road it seems that at least half of the crowd are cheering for Montreal. I would also say the Leafs, Wings, Bruins, Blackhawks, Canucks, Flames, Oilers, Flyers, and Avalanche all also have rabid fan bases. As an aside, it is good to see the Blues doing so well and competing for a playoff spot, I hope they make it.
Don't forget the Wild! We are relatively new but give us a few more years and we will join that list!

Minnesota is not the State of Hockey for nothing...

Old 04-06-2009, 04:32 AM

172 posts, read 608,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
Don't forget the Wild! We are relatively new but give us a few more years and we will join that list!

Minnesota is not the State of Hockey for nothing...
I forgot about the Wild I think they have sold out every game since the expansion took place, am I right about that? I do tend to forget about them, possibly because they are not entertaining to watch. State of Hockey, no doubt about that. I am pretty sure there are more high school hockey teams in Minnesota than in British Columbia. In my town (pop. 30,000), only one of the high school's even has a hockey team! For shame! Anyways, no offense, but I don't want the Wild to make it to the playoffs. Perhaps it will make Doug Risebrough rethink the direction of the franchise...inject some new blood into the coaching position, possibly convince some players to stick around. Just some food for thought

Old 04-06-2009, 11:26 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,518,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.k-la View Post
I forgot about the Wild I think they have sold out every game since the expansion took place, am I right about that? I do tend to forget about them, possibly because they are not entertaining to watch. State of Hockey, no doubt about that. I am pretty sure there are more high school hockey teams in Minnesota than in British Columbia. In my town (pop. 30,000), only one of the high school's even has a hockey team! For shame! Anyways, no offense, but I don't want the Wild to make it to the playoffs. Perhaps it will make Doug Risebrough rethink the direction of the franchise...inject some new blood into the coaching position, possibly convince some players to stick around. Just some food for thought
The Wild have a great, rabid following in their region, however, for sure not a North American following like Montreal and Detroit, do.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,730,223 times
No way Buffalo over Montreal anyday. the real die hard fans are here. We love em we hate em but we care............ if one had to leave. It would be the Bills leaving while the Sabres stay put.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:40 PM

317 posts, read 535,481 times
I am a Wings fan, and when i say fan, i mean a FAN!!!!!!!

BUT, the fans that show for the games aren't anywhere close to the fans at Montreal, Toronto, or even Columbus. I know, I said Columbus.

I go to the Joe Louis Arena at least 10 times a season and I can remember only a handful of games where the crowd was an overall fanfest. I never see that anymore. You go to the Joe and see half the seats empty, half the crowd leaving early, and SUNDAY A LADY WAS KNITTING IN FRONT OF ME!!!!!! (no lie, the lady was a pain to sit next to. She kept looking back all p***ed off because I kept whistling and screaming, having fun)

I love Hockeytown USA, yeah the fanbase is HUGE, but they are not as loyal and fun as other teams' fans...

This year will be my first year going to a Playoff game, so hopefully the loyal ones come out and make it a BLAST!

Last edited by hameltoe; 04-08-2009 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: too much to say

Old 04-08-2009, 11:59 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,518,712 times
Folks are missing the point of this thread, I meant which team in the thread title, has the Best North American following, I would say Montreal. Not which team has the most rabid fans, locally in their own area.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:12 PM

317 posts, read 535,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Folks are missing the point of this thread, I meant which team in the thread title, has the Best North American following, I would say Montreal. Not which team has the most rabid fans, locally in their own area.

You missed your own point by asking people "What do you think?"...

You mentioned 2 teams in your first post. Montreal and Detroit.

90% have mentioned Montreal in their posts.

What are you asking then?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey