Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:48 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times

Advertisements

What has happened to our league? In the past, blow out playoff games were the best games to watch; you anticipated some fights and other good scrums. Now, turn your sets off. Might as well watch golf, because its just as boring.

Tonite Habs vs B's. Blow out big time. Any fights? NO, because the refs are just handing out powerplays and 4 on 4's to prevent them. They send Lucic to the showers to prevent any possible fight with Laroque, which was the ONLY reason for a neutral observer to sit and watch the rest of this lopsided tilt.

Stop making the blow out games boring. The ratings are low enough already. Let the boys be boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 03:33 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Gary Bettman happened.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:32 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,462 times
Yeah Gary Bettman happened. in an article i read a bout a month ago. one hockey player (i forgot his name) petitioned to the NHL not to ban fights. He said the sports turning players into pansies by eliminating fights.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
Yeah Gary Bettman happened. in an article i read a bout a month ago. one hockey player (i forgot his name) petitioned to the NHL not to ban fights. He said the sports turning players into pansies by eliminating fights.
Baloney. European hockey does just fine without allowing fights on the ice ... and if you disagree, just look at the Red Wings. A disciplined machine full of Euro players. Won the Cup last year while they were dead last in the league in fighting majors.

I love hockey, but I don't get the fascination with fighting in the NHL. I don't need to see a fight to be entertained. If you want to see two guys beating each other up, go watch some UFC event. I want to see superior puck handling, great saves, hard checks into the boards, and big open-ice hits -- not a boxing match.

Is football a pansy sport because the NFL doesn't tolerate fights? If you had two football players swinging at each other at the 50-yard line the way hockey players go at it, they'd both be kicked out of the game.

There are a lot of things Bettman has done that I'm not crazy about, but I support him 100% on trying to get fighting out of hockey. It's an embarrassment to the game. Always has been.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:49 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
Baloney. European hockey does just fine without allowing fights on the ice ... and if you disagree, just look at the Red Wings. A disciplined machine full of Euro players. Won the Cup last year while they were dead last in the league in fighting majors.

I love hockey, but I don't get the fascination with fighting in the NHL. I don't need to see a fight to be entertained. If you want to see two guys beating each other up, go watch some UFC event. I want to see superior puck handling, great saves, hard checks into the boards, and big open-ice hits -- not a boxing match.

Is football a pansy sport because the NFL doesn't tolerate fights? If you had two football players swinging at each other at the 50-yard line the way hockey players go at it, they'd both be kicked out of the game.

There are a lot of things Bettman has done that I'm not crazy about, but I support him 100% on trying to get fighting out of hockey. It's an embarrassment to the game. Always has been.
1st of all the UFC suxs and secondly February 22, 2007. One of the Ottawa Senators cheap shots Chris Drury when he played for Buffalo. After he was takin off the ice. Lindy Ruff put the 4th line out. Patrick Kaleta (1st NHL game ) Andrew Peters and Adam Mair. the puck wasn't even dropped and kaleta started going at it with Heatley. As soon as the puck was dropped gloves and bodies were flying all over the place. The Sabres followed this analogy. "You SCREW with with one of us, you screw with all of us."
Period.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:55 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
1st of all the UFC suxs and secondly February 22, 2007. One of the Ottawa Senators cheap shots Chris Drury when he played for Buffalo. After he was takin off the ice. Lindy Ruff put the 4th line out. Patrick Kaleta (1st NHL game ) Andrew Peters and Adam Mair. the puck wasn't even dropped and kaleta started going at it with Heatley. As soon as the puck was dropped gloves and bodies were flying all over the place. The Sabres followed this analogy. "You SCREW with with one of us, you screw with all of us."
Period.
Yeah, I know. Goons and enforcers. I remember the days of Bob Probert and Joey Kocur on the Red Wings. Fortunately, the Wings have evolved over the years and let their playing speak for itself nowadays.

The Wings have a hive mind, too. Theirs just revolves around working as a unit to dominate their opponents, instead of threatening fisticuffs whenever somebody messes with one of their own. You don't need to throw punches to send a message. The best message you can send to the other team is to win. And nobody needs to fight to do that.

Why the Red Wings Don't Fight - WSJ.com

Old 04-20-2009, 10:20 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
And that's not to say the Red Wings couldn't fight if need be. There are plenty of guys who can throw a punch (even Datsytuk came up swinging the other day), they just prefer to spotlight their finesse rather than their brawn.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:04 PM

347 posts, read 934,128 times
I think the threat of a fight is enough to curtail most cheap shots. But a fight also sends a message, and can change the momentum of a game.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:22 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
I think fighting needs to be reduced, but not totally banned.
Get rid of the instigator, but allow only 1 fight (for each player) per game.
2nd fight is automatic ejection and the discipline would get harsher, as # of 2nd fights increase per player.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:18 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
The NHL was at it's best in the late 80s and early 90s and needs to back to that kind of hockey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey