Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:07 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
It's because there aren't very many people in Quebec. What makes you think that the people of Quebec are any more deserving when they only have one big city, and that being Montreal? Quebec City is the equivalent of a Greensboro, North Carolina, or a Knoxville, Tennessee.
Except that places like Nashville and Columbus are in the NHL at the moment and are not significantly bigger than Knoxville, Greensboro or Quebec City.

And don't forget that metro populations in Canada are more conservatively calculated than in the U.S. Officially according to Statistics Canada Quebec City's metro is about 800,000 but if you used the U.S. Bureau of the Census criteria it would be something like 1.2 million.

Plus Winnipeg just got back in the league, and although its metro is officially the exact same size as Quebec City's, it has even less less people than Quebec City does in radii of 100 km, 200 km, 300 km, and beyond to draw from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 05:39 PM

229 posts, read 206,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
1. I wouldn't object to that...but there are enough missed calls as it is. I really wouldn't mind it if they allowed the linesmen to have input on the calls, though. I hate it when a penalty occurs right in front of a linesman, but with no ref in sight, there is no call.

4. I don't see how this "fixes" anything. Holding is holding. I think a lot of people want to see a higher scoring NHL...and allowing holding at any point on the ice is a hindrance to that.

5. Agreed. Absolutely agreed. Thank God Colin Campbell is no longer calling those shots. I'm hoping Shanahan will do a better job.

Oh, and this is hilarious.
NHL Wheel of Justice

7. As a fan of a team with a smaller budget and heavily dependent on the draft, this is one area I would not like to see changed.

9. Agreed. I do think the cap should progressively increase...but not at the rate it is doing so. I also think the cap floor should be a percentage of the ceiling, rather than $16 million below. The 11-12 floor will be $48.3 million...if it was 55% of the cap (like in the original agreement), it would be $35.3 million. I wouldn't mind the percentage being raised to 66% (2/3 of the cap)...but I don't think it should be a hard number.

10. It's a really tough situation for the NHL. Honestly, they shouldn't have allowed the city of Glendale to pay $25 million/yr to keep the team there. If the city wants to purchase the team and sell it later, fine...but now the NHL is in the situation where they might have two relocated teams in 2 years...which doesn't go a long way to support the idea that the NHL fights for its teams to stay in their markets.

In the end, I think it's inevitable that it will happen. It sucks for Phoenix, though, and their fans...because they are being left in limbo. The truth is, though, you have to have an owner that's willing to keep them there. They have had more than enough time to find a viable owner or ownership group, and nothing has really materialized. My guess is that as soon as Quebec City can get their arena built, they will be the first in line to get a relocated team (going off of Bettman's statement that former NHL cities should get first look at getting a franchise). If that doesn't go through, perhaps Houston would work (if an owner wants them there).
1. They miss/botch calls at pretty much the same rate as the 1 ref days. I really dont see the point in having the extra body/ego on the ice. Im up in the air about the linesman calling all penalties. I am an avid "Let em play" supporter and dont want to watch a penalty box parade.

4. Dont think I should of put this at number 4 but oh well. It could help cushion the runs players sometime take at the opposition in the corners. Im all for having no holding in front of the nets, neutral zone.

5. From listening/reading Shanahan recent interviews, I expect little improvement from him because way too much politics are still involved with the disciplinary department. Shanny and Campbell are just hired scape goats for the most part. (Much like the POTUS)

* I think next season is going to be more outrageous then the last one sadly, with the broadened "blindside" hit rule adding to the confusion.*

7. I think the hard cap would be the most simplistic solution, the reason why I threw it out there for a suggestion. Im for anything as long as the cap doesnt double in 5 years. Makes it pointless to even have one to begin with. (Im a no cap supporter, but understand what the cap is supposed to do, and agree with it...If done correctly.)

10. Agreed, Glendale really shot themselves in the foot. If it wasnt for the Housing Crisis (Phoenix and surrounding area taking the worst of it) I honestly think the ownership/lease situation would of been figured out a long time ago. I think a double dip recession (if it happens) will put the final nail in the coffin for the Yotes.

*I honestly think the NHL is just stalling and waiting for a new Arena to be built somethere not in KC, rather it be Quebec, Seattle, Houston etc. Sucks for Glendale but that town is ran by idiots (no offense Glendalians) and if I were in the NHL's shoes, Id take advantage of them too.

11. NHL upper powers and owners need to accept the fact hockey will always be a niche sport and lets face it, the NHL hasnt been a top 4 sports league since the Gretzky/Lemiuex era. When they do this, I truely believe they will start caring about the on ice product again and not the $$$. All these rules/policies were put in place to make the NHL more TV friendly, to get that huge TV deal. (Which NBC gave them for the next 10 years) IMO the current on ice product is a very watered down version from the glory days, aside from the pace of the game.

*IMO the major sports in America are: NFL>>>College Football>>>MLB>>>College Basketball>>>NBA>>>UFC>>>NHL>>>MLS(which will eventually surpass the NHL in the next 10-30 years).*

Last edited by straka91; 08-15-2011 at 06:14 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Except that places like Nashville and Columbus are in the NHL at the moment and are not significantly bigger than Knoxville, Greensboro or Quebec City.

And don't forget that metro populations in Canada are more conservatively calculated than in the U.S. Officially according to Statistics Canada Quebec City's metro is about 800,000 but if you used the U.S. Bureau of the Census criteria it would be something like 1.2 million.

Plus Winnipeg just got back in the league, and although its metro is officially the exact same size as Quebec City's, it has even less less people than Quebec City does in radii of 100 km, 200 km, 300 km, and beyond to draw from.
Winnipeg stole Atlanta's team. Quite pathetic, when you think a little hamlet like that stole a team from a behemoth like Atlanta. In reality, Atlanta's ownership destroyed the team. Any other ownership would have made the team a winner. Overall, attendance was fair, nothing like most Atlanta naysayers like to argue. In the long run, stealing Atlanta's team, when Phoenix was the true target, will come back to bite the NHL. Winnipeg is too small a market, has too few corporate offices, and will wear-off after a decade.

Regarding your sizes, I wouldn't put an NFL team in Knoxville. It is too small. Likewise, NHL teams should not be in these little hamlets. Perhaps an AHL team, but nothing bigger.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Winnipeg stole Atlanta's team. Quite pathetic, when you think a little hamlet like that stole a team from a behemoth like Atlanta. In reality, Atlanta's ownership destroyed the team. Any other ownership would have made the team a winner. Overall, attendance was fair, nothing like most Atlanta naysayers like to argue. In the long run, stealing Atlanta's team, when Phoenix was the true target, will come back to bite the NHL. Winnipeg is too small a market, has too few corporate offices, and will wear-off after a decade.

The size of the city does not matter if only 1 or 2% of the population is interested in hockey. It is much better to have a team in a smaller city where the majority of the population follows the sport. There are way more hockey fans in absolute numbers in places like Winnipeg and Quebec than in many NHL cities in the Sunbelt.

Big 'market potential'' sounds really great on paper but if you can never cash in on it and get a good % of people interested, what use is it?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Regarding your sizes, I wouldn't put an NFL team in Knoxville. It is too small. Likewise, NHL teams should not be in these little hamlets. Perhaps an AHL team, but nothing bigger.
I would never suggest putting an NFL team in Knoxville. We are talking about the NHL. The NHL is small potatoes compared to the NFL.

I wouldn't suggest putting an NFL team in Quebec City either!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Back to Hartford for the return of the Whalers.That's what the NHL needs to do.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
The size of the city does not matter if only 1 or 2% of the population is interested in hockey. It is much better to have a team in a smaller city where the majority of the population follows the sport. There are way more hockey fans in absolute numbers in places like Winnipeg and Quebec than in many NHL cities in the Sunbelt.

Big 'market potential'' sounds really great on paper but if you can never cash in on it and get a good % of people interested, what use is it?
Seriously, do you only think that 1 to 2% of people in sunbelt metros care about an NHL team that is in their city? It's much higher than that. Granted, it's likely lower than what you'll find in a small northern hamlet, but by the numbers, given the size of such metros, they still are competitive.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
I would never suggest putting an NFL team in Knoxville. We are talking about the NHL. The NHL is small potatoes compared to the NFL.

I wouldn't suggest putting an NFL team in Quebec City either!
Then why suggest putting the NHL in a similar-sized city? Do you have different rules for different cities, or different expectations?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Back to Hartford for the return of the Whalers.That's what the NHL needs to do.
Oh please. Hartford is a rinky-dink town wedged between New York and Boston. It'd be like Greenville-Spartanburg being given an NFL team, while Atlanta and Charlotte surround it.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:42 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Oh please. Hartford is a rinky-dink town wedged between New York and Boston. It'd be like Greenville-Spartanburg being given an NFL team, while Atlanta and Charlotte surround it.
As a NYer I can confirm that the whale had a solid fan base and alot of Rhode Islanders followed them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey