Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times

Advertisements

The US beat USSR 4-3. Arguably the greatest sporting event I ever watched. As Al Michaels immortilized "Can you believe in Miracles".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
The US beat USSR 4-3. Arguably the greatest sporting event I ever watched. As Al Michaels immortilized "Can you believe in Miracles".
Over the years, I have half-convinced myself that I remember watching it live. However, unless you were able to get the Canadian feed, we had to wait for the prime time, tape delay broadcast from ABC. I lived in Daytona Beach at the time and at the start of the game, we still hadn't heard who won. We found a bar that we were able to beg the bartender to put the game on that night. Sometime while watching the game that night, someone came in and told us the eventual outcome. Still, being uncertain of the reliability of that heresey report, we weren't certain until the very end.

Very special moment in sports to us Minnesotan's with more than half the team born here.

Many years later, driving home from work in Minneapolis to Chisago County, we came across a huge taffic jam at the I35 split in Forest Lake. Just as we approached the overpass, we heard that Herb Brooks was in a severe accident in the North metro as the North Memorial helicopter flew over heading south. By the time we got to the accident scene they had announced that he had died. I still pass that spot twice-a-day and often think of Herbie and the "Miracle On Ice".

Old 02-22-2010, 11:27 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
The local 6 p.m. news leaked the result of the game during its broadcast, so that took away much of the suspense for me. Still, one had to watch the game because it seemed unfathomable that we could've beat the Soviets. Definitely one of those "I remember where I was" moments for me.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
One of those "I wish I was around to witness it" events.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:08 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
One of those "I wish I was around to witness it" events.
1980 was amazing... and glad I was able to witness it.

But, don't forget 1960. It didn't get the press the 1980 team received but, I think may have been even more amazing than the 1980 win. Can't say I saw it televised live, not sure if it was, but I do remember watching replay.

Winter Olympics Memorable Moments: The 1960 U.S. Hockey Team — FactMonster.com

YouTube - Forgotten Miracle Trailer - 1960 U.S.A. Olympic Gold Medal Hockey Team Documentary
ESPN Classic - The First Miracle on Ice

Mazeroski's HR is also on the top of my list of memorable sporting events.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey