Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
GROUP 3!?!?!?!?!?!!!!

Are you serious?!!?! Half the teams in group three shouldn't even be in the NHL anymore, and half of those places are the reason why Buffalo has a huge fan base.... This is an opinionated organization. As previously stated Bettman maybe wrote this.. Wait he didn't though, because if he did Washington and Pittsburgh would be 1 and 2.
As I categorized Group III in my original post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella
The "Defiant Dozen" are teams that have found success in non-traditional hockey markets, or developed solid fan support despite a lack of championships.
Whoever said I thought of Calgary, Ottawa or Vancouver as "non-traditional" hockey markets? POP QUIZ: how many Stanley Cup championships do those three teams have between them? Zero.

They're in solid hockey markets, and they have good fan support despite never having won any championships. Now what was it I said when I categorized Group III again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella
The "Defiant Dozen" are teams that have found success in non-traditional hockey markets, or developed solid fan support despite a lack of championships.
Oh yeah! Reading comprehension RULZ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 11:48 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
This is how I envision the NHL hierarchy...

TIER III: The "Defiant Dozen"

- Anaheim Ducks
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Dallas Stars
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Ottawa Senators
- St. Louis Blues
- San Jose Sharks
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals

Yes but Tampa, Dallas and Carolina may have won the Cup, but that was all luck. Becuse they still have a horrible fan base.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:16 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,294 times
Dallas actually has a pretty strong fanbase, probably the strongest of the southern teams.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:37 PM

416 posts, read 1,089,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
As I categorized Group III in my original post...

Whoever said I thought of Calgary, Ottawa or Vancouver as "non-traditional" hockey markets? POP QUIZ: how many Stanley Cup championships do those three teams have between them? Zero.

Oh yeah! Reading comprehension RULZ!
You certainly are sarcastic to everyone else, when your data contains errors.
To answer your pop quiz, . . . each of the 3 teams you mentioned have made it to the finals, . . . AND CALGARY WON THE STANLEY CUP IN 1989. (4-2 over Montreal)
So, . . . zero ???? between the 3 teams???? is erroneous !

Old 05-06-2010, 06:51 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
HOW can you say that, . . . Calgary, Vancouver, Ottawa and Minnesota are NON-TRADITIONAL Hockey markets????!?!?!?! This is PREPOSTEROUS ! !
Not to mention downright ignorant.
Quote:
Your list is as biased as Bettman. Did he write this for you???!?!?!?!
LMAO.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:22 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Dallas actually has a pretty strong fanbase, probably the strongest of the southern teams.
Yeah i hated to include Dallas but i am from Buffalo and we still cant get over the NO GOAL. lol but still they don't have that much as teams in the North.

Furthermore didn't Vancouver win the Cup once too?

Old 05-07-2010, 06:33 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
Furthermore didn't Vancouver win the Cup once too?
Nope.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:38 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not to mention downright ignorant.

LMAO.
I'm ignorant? You're the one who thinks 12.6 million people in one state are all in lock step with each other, and I'm ignorant? *LMAO*

By the way, if you would have read further, you would have realized that I never considered Minneosta, Vancouver, etc. to be non-traditional hockey markets necessarily. Now please put the stone down; I don't want your house shattering into trillions of pieces.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 PM

660 posts, read 1,653,502 times
I have to back-up whoever said Dallas has a very strong fanbase. I'd also add Buffalo into Tier II.

Pittsburgh belongs in Tier I.5 .....their first team in the NHL was 1924 and Pittsburgh was a hockey hotbed before a few of those Tier I cities. They were the first place to actually pay players to play even before any Canadian city/team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey