Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:00 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times

Advertisements

Well Beachmouse I'm with you there with the pine pollen - it kills me and this year was the worst - our house borders on a meadow that is lined on one side with huge pine trees. This spring (when it was cool enough) I did open French doors and upstairs windows and ended up vacuuming furniture/floors/curtains and dusting every couple of days - it was a pain....but then it would rain and things were alright for a while.

Right now the humidity is horrid and the air conditioning (I love air conditioning :-) is going - so much less dust coming in (although KY is not a dusty place)

Drapes really are a personal preference - since I only have them in 3 rooms, I don't find it too time consuming to shake and vacuum them once a week or so.....but then I don't work and my children are grown. I only had drapes in one room when the children were growing up.

Hopes I'm allergic to ragweed too....but I'm on 3 allergy meds every day of my life and they seem to control my allergies to a livable level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 02:40 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
What fun is when the cat goes out on the back porch, has a nice roll on the concrete, and when he comes back in, has a rather chartreuse tint to him from all the pollen now on his coat.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:07 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Lol!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,948 times
This is one of my favorites right now.
They are called Kennedy Bamboo Panels and hang in a decorative curtain rod. They're sold by JCP and Window Blind Outlet.
http://www.windowblindoutlet.com/product_images/o/482/kennedy1__82578_zoom.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-18-2011, 10:43 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
With an open floor plan, I think it's important to be consistent with finishes. Personally, I think blinds are rather dated, in any form. Even though some blinds can be insanely expensive, I think it's a rather cheap and unimaginative way of blocking the sun.

I am an advocate of drapes 99% of the time. JC Penney sells perfectly awesome drapes as a pair and they don't break the bank. Of course, custom is always better, but everyone wants or can make that kind of investment.

By the way, here is the full view of that room:

image from Cote de Texas, Joni Webb
The room is very pretty !!

I'm not so sure I like the woven shades though, I think they look a little too heavy ?? maybe??

I would have liked (white or ivory), whatever matches better, simple roller shades, but in a nicer fabric other than vinyl.
that way if they are rolled all the way up, they dissappear, then come down for the needed privacy.

but other than that, yeah, love the room !!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:18 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrks View Post
This is one of my favorites right now.
They are called Kennedy Bamboo Panels and hang in a decorative curtain rod. They're sold by JCP and Window Blind Outlet.
I really like those. A decorator suggested natural wood blinds and gave me the name of someone who does them custom. I am not wanting roman shades of blinds and honestly, they would be for looks not function in my home. I just ordered these and will see how they look. They are on clearance right now. If I don't like them I can just return them and only be out $25 in shipping costs.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:18 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
How in the world could plain white drapes make a room look busy?
If they were a ditsy print, I could see that.....
The drapes soften the room, there would be too much vertical hard surface otherwise.
I was just getting ready to post the same thing.

The drapes do soften the room, especially with the texture on the floor and the amount of windows throughout the room. They do not stand out and look very nice with the darkers shades which again provide the feel of a hard texture.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:09 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I was just getting ready to post the same thing.

The drapes do soften the room, especially with the texture on the floor and the amount of windows throughout the room. They do not stand out and look very nice with the darkers shades which again provide the feel of a hard texture.
Easy-when you put TOO much into a room, it looks busy. There is just WAY too much going on in that room for my liking. There is nothing to rest your eyes on in that picture.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Easy-when you put TOO much into a room, it looks busy. There is just WAY too much going on in that room for my liking. There is nothing to rest your eyes on in that picture.
I LOVE this room but I understand what you are saying. I'm thinking the shades stand out and the drapes actually soften the look.

I really like how the fabric used on the dining chairs, settee, pillows and chaise is carried out throughout the room. I don't like a busy look either and I think that carrying that fabric throughout is fabulous and to me, makes the room appear to be a wonderful spot for relaxation.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:53 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
How one translates not liking drapes into the room looks too busy is beyond me.
You just dont care for drapes, and that is going to color your perception of any room that has them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating