Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times

Advertisements

I re-did a kitchen in 1999 and I was told then that granite was going out of style. We moved to FL and in 2004 I was also told that granite was going out of style. Now in 2010 people are still talking about granite going out of style.

I don't think granite will EVER go out of style. It may become less of a "must have" for some, but it is to pretty and practical to ever go completely out of style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:20 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Granite is so durable. I never loved it till I had it.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 PM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
I personally think granite is "cold" looking. I have seen some butcher block contertops that were beautiful, and even saw some copper ones that I liked. If you watch HGTV, they make is sound like there is just no other choice but granite.

My mom cooked some great, memorable meals from her avocado and gold kitchen with the mushroom wallpaper and prepared on her "speckled" laminate countertops. In the scope of important things in this world, who the heck cares what the countertops are made of?

Old 11-24-2010, 01:54 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
I like granite and it is durable and beautiful. There there many great countertop materials out there that work well. This is a decorating forum so we discuss decorating here not world hunger or politics....in fact this forum is a refuge from all that....when life gets hectic, you can come here and talk countertop material or paint colors.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:36 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,676 times
I am having my kitchen done and I am getting quartz. I love granite and don't like stainless steel.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:49 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I like granite just as much as the next person, in style or not. But we are going to be re-doing the kitchen sometime in the spring, and I am getting laminate counter tops with the beveled edge, like I have now.
To me, while I know granite is obviously nicer, it is just the 2 of us here now, it's only a co-op apartment, so it's good enough......and since we are older now, it really is just not important.....
and No, I am so not worrying about re-sale, since I know we are not selling any time soon......

Old 12-02-2010, 09:25 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Love my quartz, and I don't care if it's in or out. It's pretty, and it's indestructible, so what more could anyone want?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:50 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
Granite won't be going out of style in my lifetime. While quartz is nicer it is still a similar product and look. Concrete is so uninteresting. formica is perfect for a utility room, if you can't afford granite there.

Nothing looks like, performs like it, lasts like it or impresses like it. that is ageless. It has been used for 1000 years and will continue. Classics endure.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:55 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Granite won't be going out of style in my lifetime. While quartz is nicer it is still a similar product and look. Concrete is so uninteresting. formica is perfect for a utility room, if you can't afford granite there.

Nothing looks like, performs like it, lasts like it or impresses like it. that is ageless. It has been used for 1000 years and will continue. Classics endure.
Meh, granite isnt NSF certed, and has to be sealed......quartz for me and my clients!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:04 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Let's face it, with the way times are going and the way real estate values have dropped in so many parts of the country, I would guestimate that more folks are going to go with what they can afford. Lower price, durability, and practicality will be the new trends. Obviously, there will still be the "look at me folks" who will continue to purchase what they can't afford, but.... Since granite is so commonplace these days and the prices have dropped, there's more variety, and more people selling it, it's only logical that some folks will still be investing in it. After all, it's become more affordable.

Isn't that just the way it works though? Regular folks can't afford the product until it's going out of style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating