Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 09:55 PM

79 posts, read 237,629 times

Advertisements

Hi, just wanted to do a quick survey of how much people ended up spending for laminate/wood/carpet flooring home projects in general including installation. Stories, experiences, and recommendations welcomed. I am hopefully closing this week on a 1600 square foot town house and wanted to get and idea of what may be in store for me cost wise and what to look out for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 01:48 PM

25 posts, read 55,441 times
Currently live in los angeles and am now renting however when I owned property I did 1800 sq foot house for $3000 and this was including padding and standard carpet. This was 8 years ago. I'm assuming prices have probably changed since then

Old 06-24-2010, 01:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,847,587 times
It really depends where you are living and your choices of quality/price of flooring. In the midwest I have found that more than 1/3rd of the cost is installation.

In some states where there is a labor fee attached there is no sales tax. I suggest you measure some of the rooms and price costs at a flooring store in your area.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:29 PM

137 posts, read 613,956 times
As others have alluded to, it will vary greatly depending on location, type of flooring you choose and even the installer. My husband and I are getting ~800 sq ft of engineered walnut laid down and this includes about 30 steps which raises the cost dramatically. In CA, the materials are taxed, the labor is not. It is costing us about 13K and labor and materials are each about half of the cost. We got four estimates before going with one priced in the middle based on reviews, availability and price of the materials we wanted, plus philosophy of installation.

Whatever you choose, I would urge you to shop around.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:31 AM

93 posts, read 684,599 times
In some areas labor has gone up over the last few years, in others it has decreased. It largely depends on the influx of immigrants.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:03 PM

600 posts, read 3,444,148 times
I am a flooring professional in Wake County, N.C. (a little east of Raleigh). Here's how it breaks down in my store. It's also typical of our area in general.

Laminate - Better quality laminate - $3
Better quality underlayment - $.45
Labor to install - $2
Total installed price - Around $5.95 / Sq. Ft.

Carpet - 45 oz. P.E.T. Poly (recycled content) - $20
8 lb. pad - $6
Labor to Install - $5.50
Total installed price - $33.50 / Sq. Yd. ($3.72 / Sq.Ft.)
*A standard set of steps adds $125.00 to your labor price.*

Hardwood (Prefinished) 3/4" x 2 1/4", Oak - $5
Labor to Install - $2.50
Total Installed Price - $8.00/Sq. Ft.

These prices include our state and local sales tax (7.75%) and have been rounded up for easy math.

A couple of notes: These prices do not include the removal of existing flooring, moving furniture, or anyother "extras". There is usually a freight charge of $65.00 +/- per order. This is what we are charged by the mill/mfr./distributor. There ar ealways incidental charges for shoe moldings, quarter round, transitions, etc. and those are not reflected in the unit prices I have listed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 07-10-2010, 11:09 AM

122 posts, read 210,815 times
Default labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It really depends where you are living and your choices of quality/price of flooring. In the midwest I have found that more than 1/3rd of the cost is installation.

In some states where there is a labor fee attached there is no sales tax. I suggest you measure some of the rooms and price costs at a flooring store in your area.
Labor is a very important part of the flooring process, with out a quality installation. The cost of product won't matter much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating