Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 03:07 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to paint our entire downstairs except the office and just can't seem to find the right color. Our painter uses SW, so I went today and got several colors. They look better in the can. The first one I tried was Kilim Beige, which I understand is the most popular paint color in the US. We are not beige people and I don't think that I could live with it. In my mind, I am seeing a silvery green for the foyer and staircase. I picked out rainwashed and quietude, but both have too much blue when put on the wall. The living room and dining room are right off of the foyer and I also need a color for them. I was thinking a wedgewood blue. Furniture is victorian tiger oak, and darker blues are predominant in my china and throw rugs. Lots of light in the foyer--not so much in the other rooms. I think that whatever I choose for the foyer will also be the color that I use in the family room, even though not much light there either. Our painter recommended several colors, but she was surprised that they looked so different in our home as opposed to others that she has painted.

If anyone can make some suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I have no idea how to upload pictures, but right now, all I have on the walls are splotches of paint colors. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 03:52 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Have you tried something that's like Restoration Hardware's "silver sage" color. It is a med. to light. grey/ green/blue? it sounds like what you're looking for, the color changes beautifully in the light throughout the day but it is never too dark.

If you have an RH store nearby, go check it out, as computer screens are very deceiving.

restoration hardware silver sage paint - Google Search

Old 06-26-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Have you tried something that's like Restoration Hardware's "silver sage" color. It is a med. to light. grey/ green/blue? it sounds like what you're looking for, the color changes beautifully in the light throughout the day but it is never too dark.

If you have an RH store nearby, go check it out, as computer screens are very deceiving.

restoration hardware silver sage paint - Google Search
Thanks for the info. RH is about an hour from me, but I just placed an order for 4 of their paint colors.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:18 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
I would suggest something with "sage", as bella said, or "light taupe" on it.

They are neutral, soothing colors that usually pair well with almost anything.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:23 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Their are hundreds, if not thousands of paint colors out there and it's not because the paint companies do that on purpose, it's because everyone has their own opinion on what looks right. Beige has been the same boring "safe" color it's been for decades. I know in my own painting projects many i've thought would look good ended up the opposite once on the wall. The great thing is most stores offer samples so you can see what it's actually going to look like.
There is no easy answer once to get, only YOU can pick what works!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:05 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Soft fern is a nice SW (or is it Ben Moore?) color. It is a neutral green...

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Soft fern is a nice SW (or is it Ben Moore?) color. It is a neutral green...

Good luck!
Thanks. I'll look for it when I go back to the SW store. I actually thought I had the dining room color, aleutian blue, but DH doesn't like it. I think it's perfect with our china and rug.

I even thought maybe going outside my comfort zone and getting a dark red for the dining room, but I would have no idea what color.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:52 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Thanks. I'll look for it when I go back to the SW store. I actually thought I had the dining room color, aleutian blue, but DH doesn't like it. I think it's perfect with our china and rug.

I even thought maybe going outside my comfort zone and getting a dark red for the dining room, but I would have no idea what color.
I actually painted over the red in our dining room and did one shade darker than the soft fern (which is in our formal living room, which is next to the dining room) and that color is Rosemary Sprig. Looks great! Made the room seem much bigger and went well with my furniture...which is sort of cherry.

Good luck! The cool thing is that paint is relatively cheap so if you mess up and really hate it you can always do it again, lol! I have bought and sold many times in the past 10 years and the one thing I learned is to take a big white poster board and paint it the color I am thinking and hang it in the room and then look at it at different times.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I actually painted over the red in our dining room and did one shade darker than the soft fern (which is in our formal living room, which is next to the dining room) and that color is Rosemary Sprig. Looks great! Made the room seem much bigger and went well with my furniture...which is sort of cherry.

Good luck! The cool thing is that paint is relatively cheap so if you mess up and really hate it you can always do it again, lol! I have bought and sold many times in the past 10 years and the one thing I learned is to take a big white poster board and paint it the color I am thinking and hang it in the room and then look at it at different times.
I'll look for the Rosemary Sprig. We are planning to use the white poster board method, even though I have many paint colors on the walls right now. I can see that it really is easier to use the poster board. Green is not a color that I have been comfortable with in the past, except for sage, but as I get older, I like it better.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,696 times
Try Ancient Marble SW 6162 in your foyer. It has green undertones. The colors you tried have blue-green undertones. The Aleutian Blue you picked out has blue violet undertones which you probably don't want. Try Meditative SW6227 It has staright blue undertones and looks good next to the Ancient Marble. It will give you good color in your dining room and living room . Let me know how this works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating