Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,800,661 times

Advertisements

How about applying a sealant to it?!

I am not a granite person, I think there is no comparison between it and marble, and in small areas it is really a no-brainer for me regarding choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 10:03 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,825,567 times
For a sleek look, whatever floor tile you use...use the same style on the shower surround...only in a smaller size. It makes for a real pulled together look.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:17 PM

17 posts, read 44,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You said the cabinets are warped, chipped and otherwise junk and all you want to do is put on new doors when in the next sentence you said you have no budget? I'm lost I mean I am lost.

But let me clear that up. Most people at the mere mention of the word "cabinets" grow dollar signs in their eyeballs. That is mostly because the Home Junkpo society of mindset has won over the gullible public. Good marketing can capture even smart minds I guess. And since the big orange who only wants your little green are rapists, most people think of their prices as gospel. NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tear that old junk out. What's there like 8 lineal feet of cabinets? New doors and drawer faces only would be like putting a nice clean pressed suit on a dirty filthy man who is wearing soiled underware. Nothing and no excuse is more accurate then that.
I see where you're coming from with the cabinets, but I just don't think it's all that necessary to rip them all out. The fact of the matter is that I really just need to update this bathroom so I can sell the house in a few months. On top of this; It is only the guest bathroom, honestly I really don't care all that much , as long as it looks alright. And the inner part of the cabinets is just fine, only the doors will need replacing. Mostly I am trying to get a bathroom that looks good (something that potential owners will go for) without spending too too much money, and I've got a lot on my plate right now so I really just want to get this done and out of the way. But I really would appreciate those pictures, I am in dire need of inspiration.
Thanks so much

Old 06-29-2010, 10:27 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,817,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
How about applying a sealant to it?!

I am not a granite person, I think there is no comparison between it and marble, and in small areas it is really a no-brainer for me regarding choices.
There is a common perception that people choose granite over marble because they are mindless lemmings (not that YOU said that). Although marble is lovely the reason so many choose granite over marble for countertops in bathrooms and kitchens is not because "everyone else has it". It is because it is much more practical in those applications.

I love marble btw. I just wouldn't put it in as a bathroom countertop.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 PM

True about the marble, I once had a small coffee table that was stained just from red wine.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:31 AM

16 posts, read 44,888 times
Default wow - i like your suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I am not a designer, but here are a few suggestions you might consider. I hope they help.

1.Use large, large tiles for the bathroom floor. Less ugly grout lines, cleaner look overall. Remember to do thin grouting between tiles. In some countries they are very thin and so beautiful, in my opinion. It is a detail, but it makes a tremendous difference.
2.If you are going to install a shower, the other day I saw one on tv that had many pebble-like stones on the floor area; very beautiful result and quite unusual.
3.Do not install fixed mirrors. Use beautiful statement mirror(s) instead. If you don't like it/them, you can replace it/them easily and, along with a new coat of paint, freshen up your bathroom without spending a lot.
4.Consider marble instead of granite. I have said many times here, in some places granite is so ordinary... it is abundant and has no allure at all. Especially if it a small area, consider marble, which is truly unique! Just remember, being natural stone, no two slabs are alike, so choose carefully and in person.
5.Consider open shelves in some areas instead of all closed cabinetry, which make the place seem smaller and boxed.

you did better than most so called 'designers' did -

i completely agree with you on granite versus marble - i would put large marble tiles on the walls

i want to ask you -> what u mean - by FIXED mirrors? - i asked because i have to change my mirrors

Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,800,661 times
Hi, mila! Well, I tried to help.

Marble is a no-brainer to me... If I can afford it, I will always pick it over granite. It is just a superior thing, in every aspect. I would apply a sealant, if well done you can put almost anything over it and it will not stain. But it is not my bathroom, I was just trying to help.

I understand Momma, but I still think many people choose it bc "everybody has granite these days"... (Momma, I am not saying it is not your case, I am just talking about some people I know)

About the mirrors, mila, I mean something that is not glued/stuck to the wall in any way, something you can remove yourself without any tools.
If you get tired of it, just replace it in 5 minutes. Just choose other shape or size and your bathroom looks very different.

What about a venetian mirror?! I have seen bathrooms with venetian mirrors and they were absolutely marvelous. If you research, you can find affordable ones. OTOH, I have no problem buying, for example, discontinued tiles (being my taste of course) - every material will be discontinued at some point, and if they have good quality and are cheaper, why not?! - so that I can spend a little more on a better mirror. It is worth it, I will look at it everyday.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:16 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,329,922 times
Marble is traditionally used in classic bathrooms. Does it stain? Yes, but it's really not that bad. I don't know anyone that serves red wine to guests in the bathroom.

I think you could get away with getting stock cabinetry from HD or Lowe if you don't want to spend a great deal. I know HD has a stock shaker style and they don't cost much. However, the cabinets sitting directly on the counter top kind of thing is more of a semi to custom job.

Personally, I prefer custom to anything and that doesn't automatically mean $$$$. You can tell the builder your budget and more than likely, they will work with you. And in the end, you'll get exactly what you want.

Also, depending on how many baths are in the home, I would think before removing the tub. Sometimes, that can lower the value of the home. Now, I do think that a guest bath doesn't need double sinks. I would look into using some of that space to make a separate shower. I would need to see a full picture of the bathroom and have the dimensions to be more definitive.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:07 PM

Anyone have any ideas on how to use the raised ledge from the duct work? Also, what to do with that mirror?

Old 07-01-2010, 01:14 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,030,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsa View Post
Anyone have any ideas on how to use the raised ledge from the duct work?
I don't know if I can describe this well....

We had a similar issue when we remodeled a bathroom but the area was in the shower. UGH. We considered boxing in the entire space (would still leave us with a 36x36 shower pan) but instead boxed in the lower 2 feet and made a bench in the shower. So, at the bottom the shower is 36x36 with small bench and more elbow room above.

Could you do something similar...box it in to a higher level and make an accent shelf along the wall? You could find baskets to fit and put in rolled towels and bath soaps, lean a couple of frames on the wall, etc. You could even get creative and do a series of niches in the wall. Of course you'd lose some space from the linen cabinet but I'm still hoping you tear that out....LOL.

If you are going to keep the mirror at least frame it with a nice chunky molding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating