U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 AM

11,642 posts, read 21,402,979 times

Advertisements

We just bought a new house. The family room has a nice built in entertainment center with lighted displays. It's open to the kitchen where there is also space above the cabinets. I am at a loss as to how to decorate these spaces although I know they need to be tied together somehow. I have a reasonably large budget for the space.

I would love suggestions. Just a note-I'm not changing paint colors right now. The rooms are not as dark as the photos suggest, they just photographed that way. The appraiser photographed the rooms in the dark (duh).

House Pictures :: Kitchen picture by Momma_Bear_2008 - Photobucket

House Pictures :: Family room picture by Momma_Bear_2008 - Photobucket
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 05:36 PM

43,012 posts, read 96,891,109 times
Momma Bear! Love your new house! Great architectural details!

I'd buy pottery or wooden bowls---artist level. Even glass art would work.

It should be things that are 3-D so they look beautiful from either side.

What's your style? Have you ever colleced 3-D art?

Old 07-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Momma Bear! Love your new house! Great architectural details!

I'd buy pottery or wooden bowls---artist level. Even glass art would work.

It should be things that are 3-D so they look beautiful from either side.

What's your style? Have you ever colleced 3-D art?
Thanks. We are really excited about living there.

I have not collected 3-D art although I do have some hand made pottery pieces. I went to college at a school that had a very well known fine arts program and I bought some pieces I liked from my fellow students. I still have them, but I don't think they would show well in those spaces. They are brown and I think they would just disappear into the dark wood (although the niches in the family room are lit).

Where would I go a about learning about 3-D art?

I like natural materials, stone, wood and metal. The house is decorated in a very traditional, manor style. I like things to be simple and elegant (no fussy stuff). I have things to decorate most of the rest of the house but I am having trouble with these spaces.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:01 PM

156 posts, read 241,808 times
Something like this:
http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0...AAAAADeMXQ.jpg

They have them at kirkland's that are wider and thinner.

A Japanese fan? That's what the shape reminds me of.
Oriental Wall Fans

Or a wide vase like this: Kirkland's - Blue Ceramic Vase
and two small thin vases on each side of the wide vase.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Where would I go a about learning about 3-D art?
If you google search, you'll come up with computer graphics. I'm referring to 3-dementional art, like pottery, blown glass, etc.

Do you have art festivals in your area? Those usually happen in the summer?

Is there a trendy shopping area that has small stores with eclectic items?

You can search the internet for artist studios in your city too.

Those are the places to look for art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I like natural materials, stone, wood and metal. The house is decorated in a very traditional, manor style. I like things to be simple and elegant (no fussy stuff). I have things to decorate most of the rest of the house but I am having trouble with these spaces.
Those materials would look beautiful in your home. You can buy bowls and pitchers and vases in stone and metal in addition to blown glass and pottery.

Whatever you like best. Then start your art collection to display in those areas. You can add to it through the years.

I think you can easily overcome the worry of things being difficult to see if you buy LARGE pieces.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 PM

These might not be to your liking. Just giving you ideas. You'll find your passion once you start shopping around.

Here's an example of wooden art:

http://www.thetrailgallery.com/images/artwork-burtheikens/bowls-large.jpg (broken link)

Here's stone art:

Here's copper art:

Here's clay:

Here's glass:

I think you get the idea.

I'm focusing on bowels, vases and pitchers because those are elements that you find in a kitchen.

Only you're selecting these as ARTWORK that will look beautiful in the ktichen or the TV room.

Large pieces can stand by themselves on a shelf or in a space.

Smaller pieces require you grouping together in threes----i.e., three similar vases---on another shelf or space.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
These might not be to your liking. Just giving you ideas. You'll find your passion once you start shopping around.

I'm focusing on bowels, vases and pitchers because those are elements that you find in a kitchen.

Only you're selecting these as ARTWORK that will look beautiful in the ktichen or the TV room.

Large pieces can stand by themselves on a shelf or in a space.

Smaller pieces require you grouping together in threes----i.e., three similar vases---on another shelf or space.
I really like the stone and copper! Around here art festivals are generally held in the WINTER as it is very hot during the summer months and rains nearly every afternoon. I have been traveling in NY lately. I'll have to find some stuff when I get back. How much do you think something like the green stone vases would cost?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 PM

I just checked out the site where I found the green stone vases. It's a wholesale site. But I found something similar in Europe that was $150/pair.

But you could find something like that in any price range if you're not planning to buy from an artist. Even with artists, prices will vary too.

You can also try antique stores and flea markets.

What town are you traveling to in NY? I can find some stores over the internet for you? If you're going to NYC, definitely hit the street sales in the Village and SoHO.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 PM

534 posts, read 1,036,093 times
Try etsy.com. It is a website where artists sell their work and you can search for vases, etc. and get a beautiful handmade item wherever you are!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I just checked out the site where I found the green stone vases. It's a wholesale site. But I found something similar in Europe that was $150/pair.

But you could find something like that in any price range if you're not planning to buy from an artist. Even with artists, prices will vary too.

You can also try antique stores and flea markets.

What town are you traveling to in NY? I can find some stores over the internet for you? If you're going to NYC, definitely hit the street sales in the Village and SoHO.
I am on Long Island. Near Islip airport. I was in NYC last week when I stayed with my SIL in Westchester. My MIL lives on the eastern part of LI. $150 per pair for stone vases is not that expensive. I could live with that and still have money left over for other stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating