Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:37 AM

76 posts, read 321,403 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have Purple Dunes granite installed in their home? If so, I'm curious what sort of backsplash you chose to go with it.

It is a bold, flowing granite with hues of sand, cream, grey, brown, with flecks of purple.

If anyone has this granite, are you happy with it? With its flowing pattern, do you like the way it looks?

I'll try to attach a pic. We would be pairing it with cherry cabinets in the color mocha, which is a medium brown.

Any comments on the granite or suggestions for a backsplash are appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
It looks great, but good luck finding anything small on it...
copper probably would look good, depends how big/bright is your kitchen and what color are your cabinets. A picture of your kitchen would help

Old 07-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Thank you for the reply!

It's funny that you mentioned copper, because I was thinking of a cream-colored marble with sparsely placed copper accents. Our appliances are stainless steel, but I think copper (or some sort of small, muted brown accent tiles) would be OK because the cabinets are brown.

I wish I had an actual picture, but the cabinets are on order for our new home. Here is a stock picture:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It looks great, but good luck finding anything small on it...
copper probably would look good, depends how big/bright is your kitchen and what color are your cabinets. A picture of your kitchen would help

Old 07-20-2010, 01:17 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriState Traveler View Post
Thank you for the reply!

It's funny that you mentioned copper, because I was thinking of a cream-colored marble with sparsely placed copper accents. Our appliances are stainless steel, but I think copper (or some sort of small, muted brown accent tiles) would be OK because the cabinets are brown.

I wish I had an actual picture, but the cabinets are on order for our new home. Here is a stock picture:
Cream colored marble will look wonderful! It will make the cabinets and the counters to stand out and the kitchen nice and bright! Great choice!
What is the color of the walls and floors?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:41 PM

Thanks, elnina! The floors throughout the house are red oak with only clear polyurethane coating (so they are neutral) and the walls will be a neutral beige.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:41 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
That granite has so much character and movement- I certainly wouldn't detract from it with some metal tile, or accent tiles. I'd keep the splash as "quiet" as possible.

If you could get your hands on a door from the cabinets and put it against a slab, I'm sure you could pick one of the 4 or 5 colors in that granite. I like to pull the "small" color- it becomes more apparent when accented-
Find a simple 3X3 or 4X4 tile and a matching grout.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:13 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
That granite has so much character and movement- I certainly wouldn't detract from it with some metal tile, or accent tiles. I'd keep the splash as "quiet" as possible.

If you could get your hands on a door from the cabinets and put it against a slab, I'm sure you could pick one of the 4 or 5 colors in that granite. I like to pull the "small" color- it becomes more apparent when accented-
Find a simple 3X3 or 4X4 tile and a matching grout.
I totally agree-that granite is really beautiful with a lot movement.

Take heed on what K'ledgeBldr suggests-really good suggestions plus so knowledgeable.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:22 AM

Thank you all! here is another pic I found on the web of someone's actual kitchen with purple dunes granite. I think it looks lovely.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_M3VL9smb8Zc/SLNfR9xrOCI/AAAAAAAABUs/G2u9iA4fsdM/Kitchen+003.jpg (broken link)

What about a tonal backsplash...let's say a cream colored marble with tonal decorative tiles and a nice decorative tonal section above the cooktop for definition?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:57 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
I'll go out on a limb here- No.

What color are you thinking about for the walls?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:37 PM

137 posts, read 614,953 times
I second all the posters above me - that granite is a show stopper. IMO, the key to designing any room is to have just one show stopper - one thing that makes the room. In the kitchen this is usually the walls, the countertops or the floors. If you choose to try to make all of them show stoppers, your kitchen will become busy. That granite is a show stopper - lovely and bold. If you choose to install it that will become your show stopper. You don't need or want another one.

So if you need a backsplash for it, think simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating