Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 PM

759 posts, read 3,143,205 times

Advertisements

I just put in wood flooring throughout the house and ceiling fans in every bedroom. I really want to sell in the next year (mortgage is high due to divorce), and I want to hear what everyone thinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I just put in wood flooring throughout the house and ceiling fans in every bedroom. I really want to sell in the next year (mortgage is high due to divorce), and I want to hear what everyone thinks.
Where do you live?

Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 PM

759 posts, read 3,143,205 times
In the Chicagoland area.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:25 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,084,252 times
I would be open-minded to it. I grew up without A/C and I can live without it.
Having said that, with all the properties for sale in most areas, if most comparables have A/C I would think you'd be at a major disadvantage. If I really liked multiple properties, the one without the A/C would come off my list.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,554 times
It's like anything else; if the price is right . . .

if your priority is to sell quickly, then I'd either install the a/c or make your price comparatively attractive to those in your hood. Unless there is something particularly unique about your home and its location, I'd install the a/c if I could.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:41 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Quote:
Would you buy a home with no central air?
No.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
I have three homes in west Texas and New Mexico and none of them have central air. Whether or not real air conditioning is desirable for a home depends upon where you live. I would think AC would almost be a requirement in the Chicago area.

I find that, at least in my homes, very inexpensive swamp cooling works well enough most of the time and is much more preferable to the MUCH higher cost of central air which I have had in homes in Maryland and Louisiana.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:12 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,885,736 times
Yep.

Its 70° F +/- 10° here all year long and so far this summer it has barely broken 75° ;-)

Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I have three homes in west Texas and New Mexico and none of them have central air. Whether or not real air conditioning is desirable for a home depends upon where you live. I would think AC would almost be a requirement in the Chicago area.
Your post made me laugh. You think air conditioning is a requirement in Chicago but not Texas and New Mexico. That's actually funny!

I live in Pittsburgh and own a house without central air conditioning. Many people in my area don't have central air too.

Even though we get DREADFULLY humid summers, it's really only intollerable for a couple of weeks each year---at the most.

Winters are a bigger deal here. (Chicago is the same in that regard.) As a result, I'm much more interested in the heating system than the air conditioning system.

Furthermore, air conditioning make me sick----sinus infections, headaches, etc. Fresh air is much better for me in the summer.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:05 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Your post made me laugh. You think air conditioning is a requirement in Chicago but not Texas and New Mexico. That's actually funny!

I live in Pittsburgh and own a house without central air conditioning. Many people in my area don't have central air too.

Even though we get DREADFULLY humid summers, it's really only intolerable for a couple of weeks each year---at the most.

Winters are a bigger deal here. (Chicago is the same in that regard.) As a result, I'm much more interested in the heating system than the air conditioning system.

Furthermore, air conditioning make me sick----sinus infections, headaches, etc. Fresh air is much better for me in the summer.
Actually I've never spent any time in Chicago. I have just flown through O'Hare at times so I have no idea what it is like to live there. West Texas and New Mexico typically have low humidity which makes living without AC possible. It very rarely gets over 100 degrees in New Mexico and west Texas where my homes are located but it can get into the single digits here on the Texas southern High Plains during the winter at times for days. During these short periods, heat becomes a very large consideration here as well.

I don't like central AC not only for the fact that it is very expensive to operate and the fact it is an energy hog but I too have sinus problems whenever I have to be under an AC for any length of time. However ro give air conditioning its due, I grew up in a very humid area of deep east Texas (with only electric fans back then) and I find that it is humidity in any climate that bothers me the most.

Here in the Southwest, I too prefer fresh air. My nearest neighbor here at my west Texas home is 3/4 of a mile away and I normally get only one car a day past my house (the postman). My air is extremely fresh and that's the way I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating