Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

If you look at the diagram he posted above, there are two entraces to the house, both on the opposite side of the view in the picture. I think the original entrace was always on the other side of the two story structure, and the addition was added to the front of the house.

The picture might not be of the front of the house. Even if that side is facing the street, the front of the house could be on the other side. It's possible. My house is like that. Older houses, in the 100 year age range, were built long before our current road system. As a result, it's not uncommon for older houses to 'appear' backwards from the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:28 AM

16 posts, read 95,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you look at the diagram he posted above, there are two entraces to the house, both on the opposite side of the view in the picture. I think the original entrace was always on the other side of the two story structure, and the addition was added to the front of the house.

The picture might not be of the front of the house. Even if that side is facing the street, the front of the house could be on the other side. It's possible. My house is like that. Older houses, in the 100 year age range, were built long before our current road system. As a result, it's not uncommon for older houses to 'appear' backwards from the street.
If we're looking at this right, the addition turned that entry into a back door. Guests would have to walk around the addition to get to it.

For curb appeal's sake I'm interested in where the current road system is located. He may want to make that large bedroom the living room and put a defined new entry door in the middle of the original house facing the street. While he's got it stripped down to the studs, now's the time to think this out.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInFlorida View Post
If we're looking at this right, the addition turned that entry into a back door. Guests would have to walk around the addition to get to it.
Not necessarily. The addition could have created a courtyard type entry. It can all be fixed with landscaping.

Quote:
For curb appeal's sake I'm interested in where the current road system is located. He may want to make that large bedroom the living room and put a defined new entry door in the middle of the original house facing the street.
That's insane. You don't change 100 year old houses to be like new construction. And he can't put the door in the middle of the "front" because there is a wall dividing the first floor right down the middle. I'll BET that is a load bearing wall too. The reality is that the so called front door you want wouldn't even be used. People come and go from the other direction. And making the entry into the current bedroom isn't putting a door on the "front" of the house, but the "side" of the house.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:35 PM

259 posts, read 823,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentNewland View Post
See if your county assessor has a website that lets you look up property information. My county's website shows the year built, square footage, a rough outline of the house... also, I would contact the city/county and see if they need to send anyone by after you finish the improvements. I read a news story online recently that some local govts are using Google Maps to find people with unregistered pools - important thing being that if the property improvement didn't have a permit applied for, and if the improvements aren't assessed properly, you could be hit with a huge tax bill some point down the line.

As far as wood floors, how about that interlocking pergo wood flooring? I watched my father install it a few years ago and it looks great, didn't look that hard to do.

Also, you might consider peel and stick vinyl tile. It's cheap, rugged, you can get some good looking stuff, and only needs a bit of prep work. Heck, if you put it on some sort of removable base (some soft of plastic sheeting under it, haven't really looked into it so I can't say for sure) you may be able to rip up the entire floor in under an hour in the future and put down a new floor in no time. Plus, with that vinyl tile, you don't need a tile cutter, or grout/masonry stuff, you just need a pair of scissors or a box knife and some time.

Also, I would highly suggest putting some insulation in the ceiling, and putting carpet (with plenty of padding) on the top floor. That will greatly reduce any noice from upstairs.
Thanks! I will have to check into that. I did find where my grandpa wrote 1961 in the concrete in the basement but the house is older then that as it had a michigan basement in at one time. I have never had anyone come by and check my work from the township/city on my other builds so I am trying to keep this one the same, lol. Yeah I would love to put wood floors. I am just not sure how long I plan to live here so I don't want to rent it out like before it have a rental who doesn't care. And I don't want to take my bank account to $0. Though I've been lucky and the previous renter has been my only bad one towards the end of his lease on all the rentals I have. And yeah I thought about the insulation in roof as we have it currently and it does seem to make a difference.

Quote:
I'm a little confused on where everything is. Could you make a before and after drawing including both floors?

They say that Google's SketchUp is a great floor plan drawing tool and it's free. I use an early version of an old program called 3D Home Architect and haven't tried SketchUp. Either program will let you see the plans in 3D.

What are the dimensions on your bathroom?

Mark
I redid my quick MS paint to give you a better idea on how it sits now. I can get the dimension tomorrow if you'd like.

Quote:
It appears the front of your house (the side with the five windows, three on top, two on the bottom) is facing forward in this picture and the addition is on the right side of the house as you're driving up the driveway from the main road. In other words, this is the view approaching your house as guests arrive up the driveway.

If that's the case, your only entry door is on the back of the house. Is that right?

Mark
Hopefully my quick drawing makes sense. There is a huge half circle driveway. The unattached garage is something my grandpa added. The old garage is where the entryway is now. It was a one car garage with the garage door was where the entry door is now. So you had to come in the other part of the circle driveway to drive you car into the back.

Quote:

Thanks for explaining it. From what I know the house front is sort of facing the field as that's where everything was a long time ago like you said. Back then those roads were just 2 dirt paths with the house on the corner.

Quote:

For curb appeal's sake I'm interested in where the current road system is located. He may want to make that large bedroom the living room and put a defined new entry door in the middle of the original house facing the street. While he's got it stripped down to the studs, now's the time to think this out.
That's how it was when I redid the outside and like I said at 18 I wasn't really concerned with placement as much as I was making the house nice to honor my grandpa. The mailbox is actually on the road on the top of the picture I drew also so I am not sure what side is truly considered the "front." Here's another house (was my grandpas brothers that I redid also where the door is on the opposite side of the front where there is a overhang on the roof. Yes it may have been better right where the side left front window is, but again I just redid everything how they had it.

Quote:
Not necessarily. The addition could have created a courtyard type entry. It can all be fixed with landscaping.

That's insane. You don't change 100 year old houses to be like new construction. And he can't put the door in the middle of the "front" because there is a wall dividing the first floor right down the middle. I'll BET that is a load bearing wall too. The reality is that the so called front door you want wouldn't even be used. People come and go from the other direction. And making the entry into the current bedroom isn't putting a door on the "front" of the house, but the "side" of the house.
Thanks. Yes I would love to make a courtyard type entry. And yeah I really don't want to go to overboard with remodeling it. I want to keep the feel of how my grandpa had it and how I remember it growing up. And my 22 year old self is already broke, lol. I don't think the door is that big of a deal. When you pull in the driveway you see the small sidewalk to the door and know that's the entry door. No it might not have a extravagant entryway or a really defined front entry but I think its okay.

Last edited by wagonproject; 08-08-2010 at 05:45 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 05:36 PM

259 posts, read 823,189 times
My small update.

Looking from the bedroom.

From the bathroom.

From the basement.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:54 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
If it were my house...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/Tsporty/Picture8.png (broken link)

[/IMG]

Last edited by T. Damon; 08-09-2010 at 09:16 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 09:41 PM

Wow, I just noticed from your last photos that you found your own way to get that crazy bathroom situation fairly worked out by covering the basement stairs- Nice going! I was wondering if the basement(s) are connected or why the heck there are two stairs? A cheaper solution than my design to be sure.

I'm still rallying for the front porch though- Its such a sweet, strong and classic farmhouse- a simple Greek Revival almost- it would really complete the house I think.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:27 PM

16 posts, read 95,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
If it were my house...

[/IMG]
T. Damon, well you must be insane like me.

Seriously, nice job! What software did you use?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Haha- Thanks, I think... Yeah, I am a little obsessive compulsive once I get my mind wrapped around something.

Seriously, I was just impressed with the looks and setting of the little house and all the hard work that wagonproject is putting into it and wanted to throw out an image of what I thought might inspire him even more since he seems capable of it. I hope he is using hangers for those new floor joists though.

I use Vectorworks Designer with Renderworks and yes, I am a architectural designer so I hope he appreciates all this free design work.

I was looking at the pics and the totally not to scale floor plan he has drawn and tried to figure out what is really going on here and what could possibly be done as he is renovating it. The more I started working out a best guess dimensional floor plan I just decided to go all out and design it as if someone had hired me for that house. Might be more my taste but I tried to embrace the rural simplicity of the structure and site with some honest details and colors and a layout that could work.

I wish it wouldn't export so small from my image hosting website though.

Last edited by T. Damon; 08-11-2010 at 08:32 PM..

Old 08-11-2010, 11:10 PM

A couple more tweaks to the design: separate mud room/vestibule with a coat closet for those cold, slushy Michigan winters, and tucking the Fridge into the closet-making that closet a pantry enlarges the feeling of the kitchen. A nice little sunroom to hang out in with a good book or to play some cards with some friends.

I'm still keeping my kinda funky bathroom design/tiny addition- I just hate bathrooms directly off the kitchen or dining area.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by T. Damon; 08-11-2010 at 11:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating