Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 09:29 PM
DPK DPK started this thread

4,594 posts, read 5,721,318 times

Advertisements

Yes I totally know what I just did there.

Anyways, I just moved in to a new place with light stained hard wood floors everywhere and the walls are a dark/warm red color when you first enter. I want to get a runner rug for the entry area/hall that opens up into the kitchen/living space. My problem being is that I have no real design sense.

I've been looking at Capel Rugs since they have some good deals and variety:
http://www.capelrugs.com/category.aspx?id=1000335381

Recommendations por favor? I'm a fan of intricate designs, but don't know much from there. Nothing that looks like animal print please. That's just tacky in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 09:41 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,202 times
Why match carpet to the drapes? I'd match the drapes to the carpet if I tried to match them at all. Why not go for something in the same family? What color are your drapes?

Old 08-07-2010, 08:31 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Something in this group, but it really depends on your style.

Capel Rugs - Traditional Rugs
http://www.capelrugs.com/category.aspx?id=1000351497

If you want to keep the wall color, find a rug that has the same tone in it as the walls.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:57 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
What style is your house and furniture? There are millions of rugs, so are you contemporary, traditional, or what? Will the rug connect visually more with your kitchen or your livingroom? Will the rug be getting wet? If so, rule out any of the grasses, like jute, or coir. What ever rug you choose; don't try to match the red on wall for the main color, just find one that has a touch of that color in it. Pay attention to the other colors in the room, like the ceiling, the floor and the trim. I think people always forget things like the fact that the ceiling is probably the most prominent color, but yet they disregard it.
HomeDecorators.com online has a good selection, too.

Last edited by gentlearts; 08-07-2010 at 09:06 AM..

Old 08-07-2010, 09:01 AM

Floor Color

Wall Color

Window Color

The windows currently have just regular blinds on them but I'm looking to add light colored drapes/curtains (windows are about 12' in height, tall ceilings).

Old 08-07-2010, 09:04 AM

Furniture is mostly contemporary, sorry just saw your post up there. Also yes the rugs will be within range of the kitchen, guest bath, and entrance so I'd prefer nothing that would get damaged easily due to water.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Something in this group, but it really depends on your style.

If you want to keep the wall color, find a rug that has the same tone in it as the walls.
See I like those, but my problem is that I'm worried on how much red to get in a rug. The purpose of the walls being red is that the space is rather huge to begin with (converted industrial space) and I don't have enough to fill it at the moment. The red makes things a bit smaller and more cozy.

I'm afraid that if I get too much that I'll be in a sea of red, but too little and I'll be blending into the light wood floors. You know what I mean?

Old 08-07-2010, 03:19 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
See I like those, but my problem is that I'm worried on how much red to get in a rug. The purpose of the walls being red is that the space is rather huge to begin with (converted industrial space) and I don't have enough to fill it at the moment. The red makes things a bit smaller and more cozy.

I'm afraid that if I get too much that I'll be in a sea of red, but too little and I'll be blending into the light wood floors. You know what I mean?
A rug with a little bit of red would work.

Something like this would look super. Not too much red, but enough that it pulls the look together with the wall.

Capel Rugs-Gold Rugs / Yellow Rugs-Transitional Rugs-MARTHA'S VINEYARD

This would work as well, not too much red, but plays with the wood tones - what is the color of the rest of the wall?

http://www.capelrugs.com/popup.asp?I...0light%20green

Even this would not be too much, as long as the reds don't clash. That is really the key - no clashing reds.

http://www.capelrugs.com/ProductDeta...id=1000442351#

A lot depends on the style of the rest of your furnishings.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Since your furniture is contemporary, go with a contemporary carpet. The following carpet is from the website you listed in your first post.

The carpet has enough red in it to tie together with the red wall color. I'm sure there are enough other colors for it to tie with her furniture, whatever color it is.

I chose these rich beige curtains from Pottery Barn since it ties it all together. But there are endless curtain possibilities with that rug depending on the furniture color.

Since the rug is near many other areas of the house, you can pick up different colors in the rug in different rooms, like the bathroom nearby could pull purples or blues, etc.

Last edited by Hopes; 08-08-2010 at 05:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating