Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:11 PM

14 posts, read 49,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
PFFT!!!
Any SS or black dishwasher will look fine with the Galley series (my pref would be black as I like the contrast). You have to be pretty insane to buy a bad product just so you can be all matchy-matchy. If you have to match what will happen when one thing goes and a replacement isn't available anymore? Replace EVERYTHING? Ridiculous.

I guarantee you nobody will notice. I have all brands in my kitchen and they are unified by similar colors only. Everyone compliments it.
thank you. I did consider black since there is a lot of black on my range, also my side by side fridge is black and only 5 yrs old so it could complete kitchen without spending a ton of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 08:13 PM

14 posts, read 49,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
The GE "Profile" series dishwasher has a very similar appearance to the stainless steel Fridgidaire Gallery series model. Their "Cafe" series dishwasher could probably fit in very well too, although the handle pull is slightly different.
thank you! I will look into that!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:21 PM

165 posts, read 1,285,199 times
In a new construction home we put four appliances (DW, microwave, stove and fridge) all in stainless steel from four different manufacturers. The only person who ever noticed (or remarked on it!) was a professional appraiser. He wondered why and when I told him I picked the best reviewed appliances in each category, he agreed it made sense to do it that way.
The stainless finishes all look the same to me, just the styling of the handles are different. Visitors to your home would probably not notice as much as you'd think. I guess you have to decide if it would bother you every time you looked at it.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:51 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Heck, all my appliances are different colors, and I barely notice!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:59 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH3 View Post
In a new construction home we put four appliances (DW, microwave, stove and fridge) all in stainless steel from four different manufacturers. The only person who ever noticed (or remarked on it!) was a professional appraiser. He wondered why and when I told him I picked the best reviewed appliances in each category, he agreed it made sense to do it that way.
The stainless finishes all look the same to me, just the styling of the handles are different. Visitors to your home would probably not notice as much as you'd think. I guess you have to decide if it would bother you every time you looked at it.
This is the main reason to keep everything in the same family IMO. It will look more uniform and for resale it WILL reduce value that a realtor/appraiser will spot if appliances are not in the same family. I had my house on the market recently and had a buyer complain the dishwasher was a standard kenmore as everything else was kenmore elite. If OP doesn't plan on moving for the next 10-15+ years it might not be too huge of an issue but if they are, it won't be a great idea to mix and match.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:32 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,377 times
Well, for a dishwasher, it's Bosch an Miele, then everyone else. Even though I'm a huge fan of matching appliances, I would rather get a DW that's different but highly rated over matching handles.

And, not to be a Debbie Downer, but I personally notice a mishmash of appliances when I visit someone. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I do notice it.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:10 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,613 times
Buy something similar but don't buy the poorly reviewed product--especially if you plan on staying for awhile.

I bought my stainless steel dishwasher that had fair reviews because I am updating and planning to try to sell in the next year, but the performance isn't very good. It was cheap with fair reviews.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH3 View Post
At the very high end of kitchen design, that's exactly how it's done.

I don't know of any (semi) serious cook who would turn down a kitchen with Sub Zero refrigeration, an Asko dishwasher and a Le Cornue range because "OMG they don't match".

Old 09-01-2010, 09:37 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I don't know of any (semi) serious cook who would turn down a kitchen with Sub Zero refrigeration, an Asko dishwasher and a Le Cornue range because "OMG they don't match".
Well I would scoff because of the reliability with Sub Zero and Asko (and Viking). I wouldn't just because they're different brands, though.

My last place had a GE white fridge, a Kenmore black stove, and a Frigidaire stainless dishwasher. Then I bought a Whirlpool white stove and white dishwasher. 2 months later, the fridge died ... and the cheapest replacement ended up being an Ikea ex-display stainless 22 cu.ft. By then I already sold the dishwasher. So it was back to mismatch finishes again ...

Old 09-01-2010, 05:03 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Well I would scoff because of the reliability with Sub Zero and Asko (and Viking).
A bit off topic but....

I often wonder about those "reliability ratings" though. Aren't they often based on the number of service calls?

My mother and several of my aunts have been long-time Sub Zero owners and they swear by them. Or do you think their quality has suffered since they merged with Wolf? I do know that many Wolf owner think that the "new" Wolf ranges are not comparable to the "old" Wolf ranges.

My thought is that people who spend ~that~ kind of money on an appliance are just more picky. I mean, you buy your $1K Whirlpool fridge and plug it in. As long as it keeps the beer cold and the frozen stuff doesn't melt, and the ice cubes come out of the door, life is good. Right?

If you spend $8K on a modular refrigeration system.... you expect perfection. You call the service center if the Chardonnay isn't precisely 46F. Or if the lettuce wilts in the crisper.

Same for ranges. As I saw posted on another site, if the ingnition goes on your $10K Viking range you call for service. If it goes out on your $500 Kenmore, you buy a $2 lighter.

I do feel your pain with regards to "matching" though. I can never ever seem to buy a washer and a dryer as a "set". One goes out....the other keeps working. Since I hate waste, I am doomed to mismatched laundry appliances. Forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating