Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:12 PM

14 posts, read 49,814 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this has been discussed already. I searched but did not find anything as of yet.

I think I have goofed up big time. We moved into our house earlier this year and all the appliances are different colors. Black fridge, white dishwasher, almond stove and white over the range micro. I had enough in the budget to replace the range when it died shortly after moving in. I bought a stainless steel Frigidaire range and microwave from the gallery series. I really like both. Now the dishwasher is starting to go and I am able to purchase the gallery series dishwasher that will perfectly match my new range. But now that I am researching this particular dishwasher, it had awful reviews! I would say about 8 out of 10 people had major problems. Due to the color and handle style of the gallery series, I am now realizing choosing a different brand dishwasher will not match my range at all. I feel really stupid for not researching the dishwasher more before purchasing my range. The dishwasher is only 2 feet from my range so I think it will be obvious that it wont match. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 12:34 PM

138 posts, read 569,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperingwillow View Post
Forgive me if this has been discussed already. I searched but did not find anything as of yet.

I think I have goofed up big time. We moved into our house earlier this year and all the appliances are different colors. Black fridge, white dishwasher, almond stove and white over the range micro. I had enough in the budget to replace the range when it died shortly after moving in. I bought a stainless steel Frigidaire range and microwave from the gallery series. I really like both. Now the dishwasher is starting to go and I am able to purchase the gallery series dishwasher that will perfectly match my new range. But now that I am researching this particular dishwasher, it had awful reviews! I would say about 8 out of 10 people had major problems. Due to the color and handle style of the gallery series, I am now realizing choosing a different brand dishwasher will not match my range at all. I feel really stupid for not researching the dishwasher more before purchasing my range. The dishwasher is only 2 feet from my range so I think it will be obvious that it wont match. Suggestions?

To be honest I think you need real problems like brain cancer, unemployment, bad car accident, child dying, and issues like the dishwasher matching the oven will pale in comparison. You are obviously a homeowner, obviously employed (or your husband is) because you can buy these things, and right there you have so much to be thankful for. My daughter lives in San Jose California where the cost of living is very high, she said something that really helps me put life in perspective - she doesn't compare her family and what they have to people in the Bay Area, but to people in the world. That really snaps you into perspective fast. When you compare yourself to the young mother in Haiti that can't put shoes on her children's feet - then the fact that your dishwasher MAY not match your oven - well it pales. Look around and be thankful you even have a dishwasher (I went for years without one) and an oven and a home to put them both in and a job to pay for it all. These are tough times for so many people.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:56 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,945,052 times
First reply, and it's drifted off-topic already ...

Anyways, yes, the recent Frigidaires do have issues with the control board; the timer knob/push button models are fine, though.

Have you looked at some Whirlpool models to see if they're similar enough in style? Likewise, a dishwasher with hidden controls would also mean that you don't have to worry about the control panel style.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2tracy View Post
To be honest I think you need real problems like brain cancer, unemployment, bad car accident, child dying, and issues like the dishwasher matching the oven will pale in comparison. You are obviously a homeowner, obviously employed (or your husband is) because you can buy these things, and right there you have so much to be thankful for. My daughter lives in San Jose California where the cost of living is very high, she said something that really helps me put life in perspective - she doesn't compare her family and what they have to people in the Bay Area, but to people in the world. That really snaps you into perspective fast. When you compare yourself to the young mother in Haiti that can't put shoes on her children's feet - then the fact that your dishwasher MAY not match your oven - well it pales. Look around and be thankful you even have a dishwasher (I went for years without one) and an oven and a home to put them both in and a job to pay for it all. These are tough times for so many people.
You have no idea who I am or what I have been through in my life. How dare you suggest I need brain cancer or other tragedy because I am concerned about what I spend my hard earned money on. Go to church or take your medication.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
First reply, and it's drifted off-topic already ...

Anyways, yes, the recent Frigidaires do have issues with the control board; the timer knob/push button models are fine, though.

Have you looked at some Whirlpool models to see if they're similar enough in style? Likewise, a dishwasher with hidden controls would also mean that you don't have to worry about the control panel style.
Thanks for the advice. I will look at Whirlpool.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:18 PM

36,960 posts, read 40,892,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperingwillow View Post

Have you considered a dishwasher which would accept a panel to match the cabinets rather than the other appliances?

Old 08-29-2010, 01:26 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,945,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Have you considered a dishwasher which would accept a panel to match the cabinets rather than the other appliances?
Since it's an existing house, it may be harder to find an exact match on the cabinetry vs. matching the other appliances.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 PM

10,876 posts, read 13,754,456 times
I'd look to see if there are better models that will also look "right" from the same company. Mixing and matching won't be a good idea. As a last resort i would buy the one with poor reviews, but get the longest warranty you can get. I know sears offers 3+ years.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:40 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I'd look to see if there are better models that will also look "right" from the same company. Mixing and matching won't be a good idea. As a last resort i would buy the one with poor reviews, but get the longest warranty you can get. I know sears offers 3+ years.
PFFT!!!
Any SS or black dishwasher will look fine with the Galley series (my pref would be black as I like the contrast). You have to be pretty insane to buy a bad product just so you can be all matchy-matchy. If you have to match what will happen when one thing goes and a replacement isn't available anymore? Replace EVERYTHING? Ridiculous.

I guarantee you nobody will notice. I have all brands in my kitchen and they are unified by similar colors only. Everyone compliments it.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:35 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,833,498 times
The GE "Profile" series dishwasher has a very similar appearance to the stainless steel Fridgidaire Gallery series model. Their "Cafe" series dishwasher could probably fit in very well too, although the handle pull is slightly different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating