Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Color, lol.
Its back, go look at the red kitchen cabinet thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 09:19 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,832,721 times
Bringing the kitchen out of the Dark Ages! « Queen of My Trailer
paint

Old 09-15-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
I did a magazine article like that about 6 years ago. My budget was a little more, turned out quite nicely, wish I had taken pix.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:51 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,137,295 times
I could easily live with any of those three kitchens posted by SorryIMovedBack ...

(I want that woman's shoes, too, although I wouldn't wear them in the kitchen! LOL)

Old 09-16-2010, 12:22 PM

889 posts, read 2,711,683 times
I loved sorryimovedback's photos, too. I guess I'm of the opinion that you should work with what you have for now. Maybe change the wallcolor, accessories, and window treatment. Best wishes!

Old 09-16-2010, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,302 times
I'd personally take a look at what other interior designers can do with cabinets like that. I use [url=http://www.designshuffle.com]Interior Design Ideas: Bathroom Design Ideas, Kitchen Design Ideas; Design Ideas for Your Home and More![/url]

Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I could easily live with any of those three kitchens posted by SorryIMovedBack ...

(I want that woman's shoes, too, although I wouldn't wear them in the kitchen! LOL)
OMG I want the shoes, the kitchen, the apron.....everything.

Born in the wrong time, I guess!

Old 09-16-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
OMG I want the shoes, the kitchen, the apron.....everything.

Born in the wrong time, I guess!
Is that you, June?

Old 09-29-2010, 06:33 PM

45 posts, read 249,367 times
Check out the quality of the boxes. If the cabinets are half decent inside they could be coated with a couple coats of primer on the inside, cut the edges in. We're talking a gallon of paint and a bunch of labor. None of this would make a good TV show, however, cause it's downright tedious. The upper cabinets will be more rewarding because they're shallower and higher up. The lower ones are going to be down on your hands and knees work. Any talented short people in the family? Once everything has 2-3 coats of paint on it, a nice contact paper could line the shelf bottoms. It will have a vinyl type coating and you can select from hundreds of patterns. The doors should be measured Width times Height.The great thing is the existing doors will give you pretty much the net measurements you need for the new doors. Once you have your inventory list done just order the new doors. Remember the old hinges need to be removed and all holes puttied and sanded before painting. Decore-ative Specialties in Monrovia, California can probably give you a door distributor who will sell to you with your numbers. Hinge mounting is tricky especially with the euro type. Keep one door(not to be thrown away) to copy your setback and doublecheck your hole size. You can have what looks like a brand new kitchen for cheap$$$. I've done this before and color matching the paint on the frames to a factory shrunk melamine-type finish was most economical but solid wood can be done too.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:08 PM

171 posts, read 790,380 times
Of course I agree with the "get new doors" consensus (if the boxes are decent wood).

But if you just can't live with it until that happens...
I would take one door or drawer off and hightail it up to Sherwin Williams. Have them match some paint to the white part. Paint all the "oakey" parts that exact white and add modern stainless handles. Will it look like a brand new kitchen? No, but it will look a whole lot better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating