Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:20 PM

29 posts, read 108,101 times

Advertisements

I need to remodel a small guest powder room in a 45 year old colonial home. I'm looking for floor tile that would retain the original mid-century feel of the house, but I'm having trouble finding it.

I envisioned a high quality ceramic floor tile in 4x4 squares, or maybe a 3x3 hex; white or colors. The sort that were common between say 1950 and 1990.

What I'm finding are a lot of bland, boring neutrals in faux stone or marble, and a couple of deco patterns here and there. When I see 4x4 squares in colors, the sales folks advise me these are wall tiles and won't work on a floor. (Is that true?)

I don't live in Tuscany, a zen garden, or a 1920's modern. I've been to most of the "better" tile stores in my area. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 05:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
This is a great site with lots of recommendations:

tile

Old 10-04-2009, 06:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piazzollachick View Post
I need to remodel a small guest powder room in a 45 year old colonial home. I'm looking for floor tile that would retain the original mid-century feel of the house, but I'm having trouble finding it.

I envisioned a high quality ceramic floor tile in 4x4 squares, or maybe a 3x3 hex; white or colors. The sort that were common between say 1950 and 1990.

What I'm finding are a lot of bland, boring neutrals in faux stone or marble, and a couple of deco patterns here and there. When I see 4x4 squares in colors, the sales folks advise me these are wall tiles and won't work on a floor. (Is that true?)

I don't live in Tuscany, a zen garden, or a 1920's modern. I've been to most of the "better" tile stores in my area. Any suggestions?
A tile type that might work for you is the small hexagonal shaped ones that come on mesh, any good tile store should have this type, it is more than likely it will only come in white. That type tile was very common in older homes, I find it very charming.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:27 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
When I see 4x4 squares in colors, the sales folks advise me these are wall tiles and won't work on a floor. (Is that true?)
Wall tiles are thinner and generally not suitable as flooring.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:46 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
If your house has hardwood floors you may want to consider hardwood instead of tile. We put oak hardwood floors in our small downstairs powder room and it looked very elegant with simple white fixtures and very modern, sleek faucet.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:18 AM

79 posts, read 557,782 times
Quote:
When I see 4x4 squares in colors, the sales folks advise me these are wall tiles and won't work on a floor. (Is that true?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Wall tiles are thinner and generally not suitable as flooring.
a thin tile has nothing to do with it being on the floor, if a floor has a strong subfloor with
low deflection and proper tile substrate you can set 1/8" glass if you want.

the PEI wear rating has say on what and where you should use tile.
usually wall tile has a low PEI (Porcelain Enamel Institute) glaze/wear rating and is not suitable.

wall tile being a Class 1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • PEI Class 1 Rating (No foot traffic) - Recommended for wall use only in residential and commercial applications.
  • PEI Class 2 Rating (Light traffic) - Recommended for both wall use and bathroom floor applications.
  • PEI Class 3 Rating (Light to moderate traffic) - Recommended for countertops, walls, and floors where normal foot traffic is expected.
  • PEI Class 4 Rating (Moderate to heavy traffic) - Recommended for all residential applications as well as medium commercial and light institutional.
  • PEI Class 5 Rating (Heavy to extra heavy traffic) - Recommended for all residential as well as heavy commercial and institutional applications.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:34 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Default wow, nice tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This is a great site with lots of recommendations:

tile
Thanks for sharing this web site. I may be re-doing a bathroom soon (1930s) and I love these choices!

Old 11-05-2009, 03:38 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Quote:
I need to remodel a small guest powder room in a 45 year old colonial home. I'm looking for floor tile that would retain the original mid-century feel of the house, but I'm having trouble finding it. . . .

I love that you're considering the historic style your home. A lot of people nonchalantly use beige tiles for renovations without considering the integrity of the house. Please send us updates!

Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,946 times
I think Ann Sacks and Daltile carry the the flooring tiles in a hex pattern. It also comes in penny rounds and basket weave.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
you could do linoleum (the real stuff, not vinyl) for a "period appropriate" appearance. It's just as pricey as tile though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating