Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:34 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

I dunno the color matched switches and covers from like Lutron's designer line look good in most settings, and if you build in automated light controls younrarely have to touch 'em. I've seen a handful of faux'd cover plates that look appropriate (like when trying to work a mural or tile mosaic into a foyer or showy bath) but in homes that go overboard it sort reminds me of the over-the-top that happens in the "Real Housewives" type shows. Costs are kinda crazy for some of the stuff too. The best designers anticipate where the least obtrusive place for a light switch or outlet can be and then make design choices to reflect both the functional needs of the home owners along with a sense of aesthetic integrity. Closets with occupancy sensors or door mounted switches are one example of such choice. In a guest bath / powder room you could use that or make the switch very clearly standout, to "faux away" the visual clues of where visitors expect a light or fan to be turned on seems cruel on some level...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Heres the long and short of it...switch plates are ugly.
One does not always have the choice to reposition receptacles, as not all design work is new house design.
So, faux or paint is the only way to camouflage, any faux artist that knows what they are doing knows how to prep the plate so the paint doesnt wear....heck, I know how to prep plates.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:40 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I dunno the color matched switches and covers from like Lutron's designer line look good in most settings, and if you build in automated light controls younrarely have to touch 'em. I've seen a handful of faux'd cover plates that look appropriate (like when trying to work a mural or tile mosaic into a foyer or showy bath) but in homes that go overboard it sort reminds me of the over-the-top that happens in the "Real Housewives" type shows. Costs are kinda crazy for some of the stuff too. The best designers anticipate where the least obtrusive place for a light switch or outlet can be and then make design choices to reflect both the functional needs of the home owners along with a sense of aesthetic integrity. Closets with occupancy sensors or door mounted switches are one example of such choice. In a guest bath / powder room you could use that or make the switch very clearly standout, to "faux away" the visual clues of where visitors expect a light or fan to be turned on seems cruel on some level...
I am SOO onboard with you here, Chett. My house is not super expensive, but one of the things I think was worth the money are my "building automation" features. I'm absent minded and I love technology.

For one thing, I made sure I don't ever have to remember my keys, so all my doors have automated entry. In the hallway, I installed PIR occupancy sensors for my lights. I wonder why more homes in the US don't have them... The entire installation and purchase was a couple of hundred, but the lights are programmable and it is just coool.

One of the nicest things about a lot of the rooms I admire in magazines is that you almost never see the outlets or the lightswitches... or cords for the lamps for that matter. Where are they?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I am SOO onboard with you here, Chett. My house is not super expensive, but one of the things I think was worth the money are my "building automation" features. I'm absent minded and I love technology.

For one thing, I made sure I don't ever have to remember my keys, so all my doors have automated entry. In the hallway, I installed PIR occupancy sensors for my lights. I wonder why more homes in the US don't have them... The entire installation and purchase was a couple of hundred, but the lights are programmable and it is just coool.

One of the nicest things about a lot of the rooms I admire in magazines is that you almost never see the outlets or the lightswitches... or cords for the lamps for that matter. Where are they?
I have had my work featured in several magazines, and am a freak for not having cords show.....the first time one of my homes was being photographed, I was running around hiding cords.
The photographer told me not to worry, as all that kind of stuff is photoshopped out.
I loooooove photoshop!!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:01 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I have had my work featured in several magazines, and am a freak for not having cords show.....the first time one of my homes was being photographed, I was running around hiding cords.
The photographer told me not to worry, as all that kind of stuff is photoshopped out.
I loooooove photoshop!!
Ohhhhhh

Old 10-15-2011, 06:03 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
One of my pet peeves as a designer are the switch plates in a kitchen, when they are over a granite or tile or whatever backsplash.
ksje95girl, I must thank you SO much for your post. After my Giallo Napoleon granite counter top and backsplash were installed, I went to a lot of trouble to find ivory ceramic switch plate covers. Although the ivory is a different color totally, I thought they'd complement the granite. I never even thought about buying granite switch plate covers. In fact, I never even knew that granite switch plate covers existed.

After reading your post, I shopped the internet extensively and finally found some Giallo Napoleon switch plate covers. They arrived today and I can not believe what a finishing touch they add to the kitchen. You know that I've always admired your decorating advice and now I have a little bit of it in my kitchen. Thanks so much!

Old 10-15-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
ksje95girl, I must thank you SO much for your post. After my Giallo Napoleon granite counter top and backsplash were installed, I went to a lot of trouble to find ivory ceramic switch plate covers. Although the ivory is a different color totally, I thought they'd complement the granite. I never even thought about buying granite switch plate covers. In fact, I never even knew that granite switch plate covers existed.

After reading your post, I shopped the internet extensively and finally found some Giallo Napoleon switch plate covers. They arrived today and I can not believe what a finishing touch they add to the kitchen. You know that I've always admired your decorating advice and now I have a little bit of it in my kitchen. Thanks so much!
That is soooooo awesome, it really is the little stuff that makes a difference!

Old 10-17-2011, 12:15 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Funny. I don't really think about the switch plates. I buy the inexpensive white ones and don't think about it. I think decorative ones draw the eye and make them more noticeable. When I paint, I buy a contractor box and change them out so they are clean looking. The only time I can remember doing anything with switch plates was decorating my son's room and buying one that matched his decor. My fetish is changing light fixtures.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Funny. I don't really think about the switch plates. I buy the inexpensive white ones and don't think about it. I think decorative ones draw the eye and make them more noticeable. When I paint, I buy a contractor box and change them out so they are clean looking. The only time I can remember doing anything with switch plates was decorating my son's room and buying one that matched his decor. My fetish is changing light fixtures.
O, fallingwater, you're missing out on one of the most dramatic, least expensive ways to decorate! My walls are all an ivory shade (yes, I'm boring) and I have ceramic ivory switch plates and outlet covers. They blend in with the walls and add a nice finishing touch to the rooms. And, as I said above, I never knew that there were granite switch plates...but what a difference they make in the kitchen. Of course, on the kitchen walls other than the backsplash, I have the ceramic ivory switch plates.

Below is what my kitchen switch plates looked like BEFORE:

And below is what they look like NOW. In this photo there are one double switch plate, one single switch plate and one outlet cover:

Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
O, fallingwater, you're missing out on one of the most dramatic, least expensive ways to decorate! My walls are all an ivory shade (yes, I'm boring) and I have ceramic ivory switch plates and outlet covers. They blend in with the walls and add a nice finishing touch to the rooms. And, as I said above, I never knew that there were granite switch plates...but what a difference they make in the kitchen. Of course, on the kitchen walls other than the backsplash, I have the ceramic ivory switch plates.

Below is what my kitchen switch plates looked like BEFORE:

And below is what they look like NOW. In this photo there are one double switch plate, one single switch plate and one outlet cover:
I definitely see your point about the granite. It looks much nicer with the granite plates. I didn't know they made them either. I don't have granite nor a back splash in my kitchen. By the way love your cabinets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating