Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,991 times

Advertisements

I decided to remodel my attick, i'm attaching renderings of what i would like it to look like and i would appriciate any comments on the design.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 04:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
The only things I don't like are the white trim and that little access door that is near the stairwell.

The white trim not as attractive as the wood trim that surrounds the doors in the second to the last picture. And it's not as cohesive to have two different types of trime. That little cubby door near the staircase is tacky. The white trim surrounding it makes it worse. The closet doors in the second to the last picture is a better type of door system for storage---no trim around storage doors make cleaner lines.

I realize thse are pictures of two different rooms. I just think the trim used in the red room is better than the trim used in the orange room. In a contemporary space, trim should be minimal. Doorways can have trim but it's better to be the same wood and stain as the door. Closets and storage doors shouldn't have any trim. I also don't like how the trim around the floor in the red room is different heights. Near the door side of the room, it's about 2" but on the other side of the room it's merely quarter round. cohesiveness and simplicity is important in contemporary design or it ends up looking tacky or like the homeowner ran out of money to use the same materials throughout.

Love the overall design. The sliding storage door is cool. The color combinations and the light wood is perfect for a small space. The beams add contemporary character without looking rustic. Rustic would kill the overall effect so make sure your beams are contemporary. The shallow shelves inset on the walls with backlighting adds to brightening the space giving the appearance of more skylights. The bathroom is perfect.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:00 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
The bath is all wrong, the only person that could use that toilet and not knock their head on the ceiling is a child.....also not a fan of the concealed lighting and niches in the first couple of pix, its rather dated.
The other pix are not too bad.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:14 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
Is that in Europe. Because Kshe is correct. You need 6'8" clearance at the toilet- i try and stretch that to mean at the front of the bowl instead of the back when I'm desparate for space and having a willing person reviewing for permits. A strict interpretation could be 6'8 at the back and that looks like 4.5' at best- assuming the sink is at 36 inches instead of 30.

Strangely I am also going to point out that the home owner was fortunate to have so much head room/clearance in the attic. You can only count space with a minimum of 5 as square footage and all passage ways need 6'8" minimum clearance. Anything less than 8' is considered a low ceiling. $5 says that space was staged and everything id typically pulled another 3 ft toward the center of the room.

I'd say go with thicker trim (modern or traditional) and a little more texture.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 PM

^ Thank you, I wondered the same thing, that bath would never fly here.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,991 times
The house is in Chicago. The problem in the bathroom rendering is that the sink is really wide (42" i think) I would have to use much narrower sink which would bring the toilet away from the wall which should make it usable.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciurej41 View Post
The house is in Chicago. The problem in the bathroom rendering is that the sink is really wide (42" i think) I would have to use much narrower sink which would bring the toilet away from the wall which should make it usable.
Its VERY out of scale, I think I would use something like this in an application like that.

EC9808P Elite Sinks Melamine Wall-Hung Corner Vanity with Door for Corner Sin by Elite Sinks

Old 10-13-2010, 09:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I've been in many finished attics and that clearance is normal. My finished attic has ceilings even higher than that. You wouldn't find that attic in a normal subdivision home, but many older homes and many newer homes with high pitch roofs have attics with that much room. I've known people who have replaced their roofs to make attic space usable. Finished attics tend to be small spaces with super high ceilings creating the illlusion of space.

PLEASE don't use wide trim---it will just make the space look smaller and more cluttered and busy.

I didn't notice that was a toilet next to the sink vanity. You could keep the vanity and put a toilet on the other wall.

kshe95girl, I usually like your ideas but that wall vanity is just ugly. LOL

Old 10-13-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've been in many finished attics and that clearance is normal. My finished attic has ceilings even higher than that. You wouldn't find that attic in a normal subdivision home, but many older homes and many newer homes with high pitch roofs have attics with that much room. I've known people who have replaced their roofs to make attic space usable. Finished attics tend to be small spaces with super high ceilings creating the illlusion of space.

PLEASE don't use wide trim---it will just make the space look smaller and more cluttered and busy.

I didn't notice that was a toilet next to the sink vanity. You could keep the vanity and put a toilet on the other wall.

kshe95girl, I usually like your ideas but that wall vanity is just ugly. LOL
I wasnt saying that particular one, I just grabbed the first thing I saw for a corner sink, you should know me better than that!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:41 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
Hopes- in my experiences (which are in the south where we typically have lower roof pitches) that's pretty nice clearance. It's not the width of the sink but the height of the vanity that really makes me question the height/clearnace. Like I said 4'6" was being generous, if its a 30 in high vanity that ids probably 4' head height.

I think you can get away with taller trim (esp at the base) and if you did a more modern execution such as recessing the trim to be flush (ie- run a channel between the trim and gyp board so its a reveal as opposed to the trim coming forward.) A very simple peice of trim would also be in order.

And after writing that I'm realizing they have about 3 diferent base mouldings in diferent areas. It is a nice find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating