Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 53,587 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

Well, barring any huge issues, as of November 19th I will be a first house owner. I really like the house and think it will be a great entertaining place. The main feature of the house as far as outside goes is a 32' x 16' completely covered deck on the back of the house (huge). Now, I have plans to turn the outer left corner into an area with a hot tub. Will reinforce underneath and open the covered ceiling to make something of a purgola as I am afraid of rotting the wood with steam. I also plan to mount a TV with speakers back towards the house. My main problem is as follows: I am not sure what to do with the remaining 20 feet of it. I was thinking seating, bbq??, possible fire pit...I really don't know. I am not sure of the feasability of this with a covered deck. I thought maybe about one of those fire pits that burns propane through rocks. I am definitely not an interior designer (I'm a bachelor) but would like to make a great entertaining space. Does any one know of any "cool or unique" deck items or websites or have any idea for designing?? Here is the deck picture below...the corner you are looking at will likely be the "hot tub area" and the rest of the deck extends well out of view of the camera.

I would appreciate any and all help or ideas! THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:12 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,289,721 times
Wow! What a nice deck. Good luck in your new home.
I really don't have ideas for you. Down here everything has to be enclosed to avoid being meal meat for the flying pests.
But I wanted to bring thread up so you might get a response or some.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:16 PM

17,471 posts, read 65,994,520 times
How far off the ground is the deck at your proposed area for the 'tub?
And what size are you thinking about?

Old 11-03-2010, 02:55 PM

7 posts, read 53,587 times
The deck is roughly 12 feet I'd say at its highest towards the far end of the house which would contain the hot tub...currently being supported by 4 x 6's but will need some reinforcing. The dimensions of the hot tub I am looking at currently is 82" x 82" x 36" (6'10" x 6'10" x 36") and will weigh around 4000 lbs when full.

Here is a view from the yard back

Last edited by sab340; 11-03-2010 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: picture

Old 11-03-2010, 07:26 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
Congratulations on your new home. Very nice deck.

I know nothing about hot tubs. But Overstock.com is a source of good bargains on deck furniture and outdoor accessories. Their $2.95 shipping maximum makes mail order do-able. But their deals sell out quickly, so don't buy a table there and expect to get matching chairs later.

Deck merchandise is seasonal in retail stores and has probably been replaced by Christmas stuff almost everywhere by now. You might have to wait until spring for stock to be replenished. Look for retail sales prior to the big outdoor-entertaining holidays (esp. Memorial Day). Be aware that some necessary items like chair pads can be ridiculously expensive and those are the things they kill you on by never putting them on sale. Lowe's and HD are very pricely. If you want bargains at big box stores check places like Target, Walmart, K Mart. Costco has better-quality goods at excellent prices, but a very limited selection. They have great deals on large plant pots. If you want a grill, you might be able to get a good deal during this off-season at one of those barbeque specialty stores.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:32 AM

17,471 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Though it's not the easy thing to do- the results are far more dramatic.
The reason I asked about the clearance underneath- make the 'tub sunken. Have an adequate structure built underneath to support the 'tub and make the modifications to the deck for the hole.
This will allow an unobstructed view of the deck. And you'll still have enough space to install permanent bench seating around the 'tub- eliminating the less than attractive square balusters. As in the photo below, the bench can also create a screen of the 'tub area but not the view when standing on the deck.
As far as other seating- like dining, find something in cast aluminum with a powder coat finish. It's by-far the most durable.
Fire pits under a roof are not good- I'll leave it at that. Same for BBQ-grills, put it out somewhere were there's no roof above. Or add an extension on to the deck that doesn't have cover that exclusive for the grill.
Attached Thumbnails
Deck Decorating help-sunken-hot-tub.jpg   Deck Decorating help-hottubopen.jpg   Deck Decorating help-deck-bench.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating