Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 04:13 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,222 times

Advertisements

I noticed the rims of the can lights (6 of them- 3 on each side of the room) in our cathedral ceiling are starting to discolor- they are probably 12-15 years old now. I'm not crazy about them-but what can we replace them with? wouldn't mini pendant lights look silly way up there- it's probably at least 18-22 feet high. We do have a fan with a light fixture on it over the table (the room is our dining room) Can anyone offer some suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 05:41 PM

165 posts, read 1,285,122 times
There are some nice light fixtures which throw light both up and down, both chandelier types and ceiling fan lights. I think bouncing light off the ceiling just gives the room a nicer ambiance than bare bulbs shining straight down. Getting a big-wattage fixture and putting a dimmer switch on the wall will give you maximum flexibility.
You can supplement an overhead fixture with table lamps, or other "mood" type lights if you have some additional pieces of furniture to put them on. I've also seen uplights placed on the floor in corners or behind plants.
We built our cathedral-ceilinged family room with NO can lights and, with a good lighting design, don't miss them.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:56 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Ceiling fans with light fixtures are sooo dated. I agree with Gary about table lights and dimmers. Canned lights on dimmers work beautifully and along with table/floor lamps will really will give you the lighting that you need in a room with cathedral ceilings. For years I fought the idea of recessed lighting but now that I have a home with recessed lighting, I love it especially in the larger rooms.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Are the recessed fixtures the angled type? In other words, do they direct light straight down?
I have seen some jackass installations were they use standard cans in sloped ceilings and the light gets thrown into the room at the angle of the ceiling!

The simple answer is to get new baffles (trims)- the down side is there's not a lot of choice with the angled trim- other than color. Where regular fixture trims (for a flat ceiling) run the gambit from standard baffle to wall-wash, pin-spot, diffused, etc.
Another thing that can make a difference- bulbs. Avoid standard flood bulbs- instead use halogen flood. Or if the fixture is directly above an area of importance, use a halogen spot.
Always, a dimmer is good for an added dimension. Just remember to match wattage of a dimmer with the total wattage of the bulbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating