Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 09:36 PM

404 posts, read 2,616,064 times

Advertisements

i would love to hear about ANY color and brand of paint that people love.
THANKS.
i STARTED A THREAD about red paints-but this one is open to any color for any room.
thnanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 09:39 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
We actually like neutral colors a lot....tans, muted greens and such.

We just painted our sunroom a Benjamin Moore color called "camofage". It is a very light muted green. I like it.

We also really like an Eddie Baur color from Lowe's called Khaki. We painted most of our last house in that color. Then we painted the kitchen a color from Lowe's called Craftsman gold. It set off our light maple cabinets really well.

Dawn

Old 07-08-2007, 11:33 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,442 times
I paint a lot, 100's of gallons a year ... sound like I'm a painter huh?
I use exclusively Porter Paints for no other reason than it's just that good.

Edit: don't forget the 5th wall also known as the ceiling. If the walls are lighter colors I paint the ceiling 1 or 2 shade lighter in the same color group. Dark walls, don't do it it closes the room up, unless you use a accent color.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:55 AM

404 posts, read 2,616,064 times
dave art,
waht are you some of your favorite reds from porter paint-and other colors for porter paint

Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,727 times
my two favorite brands (which i believe are owned by the same company) are california and benjamin moore. I prefer colors that go with primitive (rustric country) decorating and I paint my ceilings (not white but colors that match the walls) as well as the walls. sage greens, mustard (not french's mustard but muted), grey, yellow, muted blues, etc.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:43 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
We have lived with this color in our living room for 5 years now - repainted once with the same color - it is Laura Ashley Olive #3 - a true sage green that is so neutral it goes with almost any color...I love #4 also. I buy it at Lowes - they don't sell LA paint any more, but they still mix LA colors - I have the color mixed with American Traditions paint.

I also am a Benjamin Moore lover - love the way it goes on the wall and lasts.

Here is a picture of our living room - the color on the far wall is washed out by the light coming from the windows in the dining room - the color on the closest walls of the entry show a little darker than the true color.

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-09-2007 at 09:55 AM..

Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
We bought paint for our last house from several sources. I have to tell you that the $13 gallon of Wal Mart paint looked every bit as nice, and covered every bit as well as the $32 gallon of Sherwin Williams paint. And the Sherwin Williams paint has a VERY strong odor.

I used a blue/gray for the master bath and trimmed out with high gloss. It looked great. It was my favorite room in the house.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:20 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,362 times
I've worked with Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, Olympic and Behr paint and have liked them all. Behr paint has a color I like called Donegal Tweed that's a rich gold color. It's great during the holiday time as it shows off all you're Chrismas decorations.

I have used some faux paints; and I love working with Lusterstone and a primer called Aquabond.

Cattknap, beautiful color by the way!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:35 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
We bought paint for our last house from several sources. I have to tell you that the $13 gallon of Wal Mart paint looked every bit as nice, and covered every bit as well as the $32 gallon of Sherwin Williams paint. And the Sherwin Williams paint has a VERY strong odor.

I used a blue/gray for the master bath and trimmed out with high gloss. It looked great. It was my favorite room in the house.
I respect your opinion, but I do not agree. Wal Mart, True Value and like paint have a smaller coverage area than "name brands" additionally they are thinner, require more coats and tend to run. Leaving brush and roller ghost on the surface. I've been painting a pretty long time, it's apples and oranges you get what you pay for.
I can walk into a house and tell you if they used name brand paint or discount store paint, it shows.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:01 PM

16 posts, read 119,893 times
According to Consumer Reports, Walmart and Home Depot have the best deal in paint brands for quality for the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating