Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 03:41 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times

Advertisements

Need to buy blinds for our entire house. Pro's and cons? Preference? What about color? We are thinking white since our kitchen cabinets and hardwood floors are rather dark...don't want to make it too cave like. We are getting Levelor...

Thanks for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 09:05 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
We're doing the window treatment thing right now too, complete with concerns about dark cabinets, floors, window casements, etc, and not wanting to add something else too dark. The original plan had been blinds that went with the window casings, but we're now strongly leaning toward honeycomb/cellular shades because you can go in so many different colors that would complement the sea of wood and still have it look 'right'.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,239 times
I went levolor for my entire house with the Cellular shades.. I previously had wood blinds up and didn't really care for them - myself.. My big window - the blinds were HEAVY... hard to raise and lower..
The cellular shades are WONDERFUL!!! and has made a huge difference during the summer and so far the colder temps..

The cellular shades have SO many more options to help compliment your style.. The one big window - has cordless, two blinds on one track, energy lining, etc...

Old 11-14-2010, 06:47 AM

Thanks...I actually had cellular in my last house and liked them for keeping heat and cold in/out BUT I hated that the had to be up or down. I like that with wood or faux blinds they can be down but I can tilt the slats to see outside...

Old 11-14-2010, 07:01 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
I dislike the look of white blinds against dark woodwork. I prefer that if using wood blinds that they match the color of the trim around the windows. I have used real wood and faux wood and I thin the real wood looks much better but in lesser used or seen rooms we used fake wood because it was much less expensive and looks good enough.

I agree about the functionality of the 2" wood blinds. We never raise them, just open them and since the slats are thin and the openings wide enough, we can see outside just fine and it cuts any glare coming in.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:47 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
I have blinds in my family room. There is medium toned woodwork there and the blinds are wood. In the upstairs bedroom, the woodwork is white and the blinds are white faux wood. I would match the blinds to the woodwork. The faux wood looks very real. If you are getting white blinds, its not necessary to get real wood.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:00 AM

The trim is white, so we will go with white blinds. Now just between composite and real.

Thanks for all the opinions thus far!

Old 11-14-2010, 04:42 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
If you are getting white, I would seriously go to a home store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) and get them there. They are a FRACTION of the price and with white, will look as good as more expensive ones. They will trim-for free-to size. I got some blinds at Home Depot for $18, compared to $55 online for "name brand".

Old 11-15-2010, 07:12 AM

5 posts, read 14,649 times
We used white wood blinds all through out house except in the bathroom and garage. We bought the ones we needed for the shorter windows which was a standard size. When I priced the ones for the longer windows, they were outrageous. I went to Lowe's and Home Depot and was able to find all of the sizes that I needed without having to special order anything. Lowes and HD each carry different standard size blinds.

In our bathroom and garage we used a vinyl blind that has a wood look to it.

Good luck.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:05 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Composite is much more stable than real wood-
so there won't be any bowing or cupping of slats.
Price aside- did you consider plantation shutters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating