Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 04:42 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,309 times

Advertisements

I have recently painted this room a Sherwin Williams Macadamia color. I would like to paint in and around the bar nook area. We now a green moss color sectional in this room. Am thinking of maybe some sort of a red color? Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Color for Family Room-family-room-re-ad.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 08:34 PM

96 posts, read 227,082 times
It's nice you have the window and french doors, lots of light! The right shade of red might look great, although I have to admit I'm never sure about paint colors until I see the room painted, which as you can imagine leads to unfortuate consequences.

The question that occurs to me is, how will the colors of the wood (that the bar is made of) and the tile floor "read" against the red you choose? Since the bar nook is a relatively small area, you could paint a swatch of the red you like on the wall behind the bar, stand back and see how everything goes together. What shade of red are you thinking about, and what paint finish?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
Are you talking about a random area just behind the bar of red? What other things are you planning to make the red work with the room?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:32 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,635 times
Red sounds bad to me for a nook. I would probably go with something more neutral like this brown gray paint from Martha Stewart. It will look different in different light & go with almost anything.

Best of Luck!

Courtney

Old 11-15-2010, 01:48 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,349,571 times
The first pic is a clone of the brick red color on the pole. It could work if you added a mirror or shelving with a mirrored background to reflect the windows and break it up a bit so it doesn't look cave-like.

The next 2 are clones of the light and dark values from Courtney's suggestion. They come out looking greenish on my screen, but that gives you an idea of what it would look like if you matched the green from your sofa.

The last pic is a clone of the darker value in your carpet. This one comes out looking closer to Courtney's suggestion of a brown-grey.

Hope this helps you to visualize your ideas. Great view, by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Color for Family Room-aaaaaa.jpg   Color for Family Room-bb.jpg   Color for Family Room-cc.jpg   Color for Family Room-dd.jpg  

Last edited by hcgCali; 11-15-2010 at 01:59 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 02:03 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,635 times
^Wow! Great work! How fun

Courtney

Old 11-15-2010, 05:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I don't like the idea of painting the walls near the bar a different color---especially after seeing the accent wall HcgCali---it breaks up the room.

The bar isn't a nice vocal point. The bar shouldn't have an accent wall.

Your vocal point is the great windows and view.

You need to paint that post in the middle of the room the same color as the walls. It just sticks out being red.

If anything, I'd 'whitewash' the wood in the room---especially the bar wood---with white or the macadamia color was the wash.

btw, love the macadamia color---excellent decision!

Old 11-15-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
The first pic is a clone of the brick red color on the pole. It could work if you added a mirror or shelving with a mirrored background to reflect the windows and break it up a bit so it doesn't look cave-like.

The next 2 are clones of the light and dark values from Courtney's suggestion. They come out looking greenish on my screen, but that gives you an idea of what it would look like if you matched the green from your sofa.

The last pic is a clone of the darker value in your carpet. This one comes out looking closer to Courtney's suggestion of a brown-grey.

Hope this helps you to visualize your ideas. Great view, by the way.

I like #4 the best!!! The walls currently in the room are a faint yellow. Thank you!

Old 11-15-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't like the idea of painting the walls near the bar a different color---especially after seeing the accent wall HcgCali---it breaks up the room.

The bar isn't a nice vocal point. The bar shouldn't have an accent wall.

Your vocal point is the great windows and view.

You need to paint that post in the middle of the room the same color as the walls. It just sticks out being red.

If anything, I'd 'whitewash' the wood in the room---especially the bar wood---with white or the macadamia color was the wash.

btw, love the macadamia color---excellent decision!

That's right...the pole should be the same color as the walls. I completely forgot about the pole.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:25 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times
I would probably do a darker tone of the main color. It would keep the room co-hesive, but cozy up that area.
Paint stores will just add 1/4 to 1/2 more tint of the original formula. (that could change the base used, as well. Don't be concerned if the can is different then.)
And, keeping in mind a gallon usually covers about 300-300 sq. ft., you could probably figure on a qt. covering what you need. If you need 2 coats, which I alway recommend, you may need more. It's hard to tell by the pics. And a qt costs about 1/2 of what a gallon does. Keep that in mind.

My question is...Why do you want the "pole" to stick out. If you do, stick with a matching color.
If you want to play the "pole" down, minimize it by playing it down. Or painting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating