Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 08:32 PM

69 posts, read 243,899 times

Advertisements

I bought and installed some prefab countertop from HD for a laundry room project. It came out very nice but I'd really like a deeper section of countertop across the top of the washer/dryer. As it is, the machines extend about eight or nine inches forward of the leading edge.

The HD countertops have a decorative edge on both the backspalsh and the drip edge, very similar to an Ogee treatment.

Do local custom countertop fabricators have the capability to duplicate this type of edge treatment? I'm assuming it's formed with heat and pressure??? I'd like to have a deep section of countertop custom made to match the rest of the installation.

TIA.

Tipsy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 09:19 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
That particular counter top is made by VT Industries. They manufacture the counter top using either Wilsonart or Formica brand laminate materials.

And they do make a (deeper) wider width- 45" versus the standard 25 or 22". It's single roll (no integrated backsplash), and could be cut to a desired depth.

http://www.vtindustries.com/images/specifications/2b.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-17-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
That particular counter top is made by VT Industries. They manufacture the counter top using either Wilsonart or Formica brand laminate materials.

And they do make a (deeper) wider width- 45" versus the standard 25 or 22". It's single roll (no integrated backsplash), and could be cut to a desired depth.

That's excellent info! Thanks very much!

This particular countertop is made with Wilsonart laminate. I'm sure I can compensate for a lack of backsplash with some inexpensive tile.

Tipsy

Old 12-18-2010, 05:42 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Quote:

This is a very nice looking countertop. I like the edge design. How does the price of this compare to regular laminate or granite?

Old 12-18-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
This is a very nice looking countertop. I like the edge design. How does the price of this compare to regular laminate or granite?
I bought an 8" section at HD for $108.

Tipsy

Old 12-20-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Wow! These guys are smokin' some good stuff! The 8' length of 24" deep VTI countertop I bought off-the-shelf was $108. An 8' length of 45" single roll is $508! I can buy granite for that kind of cash.

I think I'm going to remove the 24" section that I already installed, rip the backspalsh off and fabricate a filler section. The same WilsonArt laminate is on the shelf at HD. It's $54 for a 4' x 8' sheet and particle board is cheap.

$508! For laminate! Really?

Tipsy

Old 12-21-2010, 07:16 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
$508! For laminate! Really?

Where? If HD, no wonder.
Find a local cabinet maker/distributor that buys from VT I'm sure you'll get a better price.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Where? If HD, no wonder.
Find a local cabinet maker/distributor that buys from VT I'm sure you'll get a better price.
Yeah...from HD. I've got a call in to VTI.

Tipsy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating