Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:53 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,061 times

Advertisements

Staging my house (log home) for sale. The basement guest room is the only room with painted walls--they are light, canned corn yellow. One, small, east facing window, and the room is very small. I'm pushing the twin beds together to make it appear there's more space and want to get a king bedspread. What color would be best? Patterned or not? Or would it be best to remove one bed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 04:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Staging my house (log home) for sale. The basement guest room is the only room with painted walls--they are light, canned corn yellow. One, small, east facing window, and the room is very small. I'm pushing the twin beds together to make it appear there's more space and want to get a king bedspread. What color would be best? Patterned or not? Or would it be best to remove one bed?
My thoughts are that you can't go wrong with floral bedspread with green as being the main color. Yellow and green is a pretty combination.

20yrsinBranson

or

Old 12-05-2010, 04:09 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,501 times
29yrsinBranson you read my mind I was going to suggest green contrast or light blue contrast colors for bedspread, throw rugs with ceilings, doors and molding in white.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,061 times
Thank you for the suggestions and especially for the lovely photos but with this particular yellow and maybe it's the dim lighting, it's a hideous combination--almost as bad as the burgundybedspreads in there now. If it weren't so much work, think I'd just repaint the walls and ceiling a neutral!

Old 12-05-2010, 04:47 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,241 times
In my experience you can go very, very wrong using green with yellow, lol. Sometimes, the way the light hits the green, it reflects on the walls, causing them to look more green than yellow....and the resulting color is not usually a very pretty one.

There are two colors of canned corn. Regular corn is a fairly bold yellow. If that is your wall color, you have enough color in the room and I'd go with a solid white spread with complimentary pillows. If your walls are the color of CREAMED corn, they are so light that you need to add some life to the room. In that case, I'd get a pretty print for the bed.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:51 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,648,372 times
How about a blue and white cabana stripe?

Old 12-05-2010, 05:21 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
My spare room for guests is painted a kelly green. I bought a white iron bed and a yellow dresser. It has a very fresh garden type feel. The bedding is white with large barn red flowers. I bought it at IKEA. I always get tons of compliments. The yellow dresser has some gold in it. Yellow can be tricky as it can bring out brown tones and even green tones when paired with another color. So when pairing yellow with green there has to be a stiff contrast. The kelly green brings out the yellow in the dresser, a light green such as sage would make the dresser have a muddy yellow look.

Since this is just a staging project, I would probably go with white bedding and then add some decorative pillows with a little pop. Target sells a shabby chic line that has all white chenille bedding. That way you are not stressing yourself out on which shade of green. Target also has a lovely floral line by Springmaid in comforters and quilts. Greens, yellows and whites are the main theme in the line. They do have one pattern is that mostly white with a floral detail with hints of yellow. The little bit of yellow might go with the wall color depending on the shade of yellow.

Here is a link for you to take a look.

Springmaid® Chantal Comforter Set : Target

Last edited by fallingwater; 12-05-2010 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-05-2010, 05:26 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
What about white, beige or brown? You could find a nice eyelet or comforter cover.

What is the trim in the room, wood or painted?

Old 12-05-2010, 05:35 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Another vote for blue and white bedding, perhaps in a small print. Classic French Country with the yellow walls. Think : Amazon.com: Lorcos French Provincial Blue & White Lavender Soap Set 3 X 7 Oz. From France: Beauty (Just pattern idea).

If you have a quick and easy way to store the second bed, YES, do it. Two twins pushed together= a king and that's a pretty huge bed for a small (?) guest bedroom.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,504 times
I like Navy Blue with yellow. Crisp and clean looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating