Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 02:26 PM

759 posts, read 3,144,836 times

Advertisements

I am trying to arrange my den. I'm not sure how to best lay out the furniture and tried a few different ways. Any suggestions appreciated. I need to still put an area rug down.

The main problems for me seem to be how to arrange the end table and coffee table. I'm not sure which way they should face. Or, maybe I should move the end table somewhere else.

BTW--I just mounted the TV, have not had a change to take care of the cords, also the fireplace is not completely done, I need to rewash the brick where the mantle was and I will paint the brass black with high heat paint.

Flickr: troli42's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56729671@N05/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 09:30 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,253 times
I don't get a good sense of the rest of the room from those photos, but I feel like I want to see the couch parallel to the fireplace OR the couch and the loveseat perpendicular to the fireplace facing each other.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Neither arrangement is right. Arrangement 2 would be better if you made an adjustment.

The problem with arrangement 1 is the loveseat is sticking out in front of the fireplace. Plus, it doesn't allow for all seating to comfortably watch TV.

The problem with arrangement 2 is you have the love seat sitting in front of the sofa. It's blocking the sofa instead of square to the sofa. This arrangement would be better IF the loveseat was pushed back further so it's not blocking the sofa. If you could pull the loveseat back further and move the sofa forward a little further (so it's not blocking the entry door), it would be a better arrangement. There's no reason to leave a space between the sofa and the loveseat. Put the table in the corner of the two. You can enter the seating arrangement from the sides.

BUT TRY THIS NEW ALTERNATIVE:

Move the sofa in the middle of the room FACING the fireplace, parallel to the fireplace---so every seat on the sofa faces directly looking at the fireplace. THEN place the loveseat square to the sofa. Test it out on each side of the sofa to see which is the best for the room. DON'T place the loveseat so any part of it is in front of the sofa. With this arrangement, your end table will be in the corner betwen the loveseat and sofa, similar to arrangement 1, BUT the entire arrangement will be floating in the middle of the room at an angle that has the sofa parallel to the fireplace.

Try that and take a picture of it for us. It's hard to tell because you didn't show any pictures of the other side of the room. We have have no idea how far back the other side of the room goes.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:36 AM

256 posts, read 1,390,549 times
I have to agree that from what we can see, the seating would look best the way Hopes suggests. But I'm guessing that pulling the couch out to directly opposite the fireplace, would result in the loveseat blocking one door or the other. If so, we are left with the two choices you propose:

I don't care for Arrangement 2 at all. The "overlapping" of the seating is too awkward.

I think the most important thing is to have the two seating units placed properly in relation to each other. If the only way to do that results in the loveseat protruding a little in front of the fireplace, I don't think that is a major problem.

With arrangement 1, I think you need to fill in the space between the two seating units and a single end table is not usually enough. I would try a large table, big enough to be within easy reach of both end seats. A round or oval table would work well. Another idea would be to get nesting tables and scatter them between the two sofas.

I think the coffee table is fine in front of the sofa.

Thanks for sharing the pics and please keep posting updates as you continue to pull it all together!

Old 12-14-2010, 04:41 AM

I think arrangement 2 can be adjusted so the seating isn't overlapping.

Nothing will ever be good about the loveseat sticking out in front of the fireplace in arrangement 1, plus fewer seats can see the TV that way.

But I'd love to see her at least try the third option I provided. It might not work, but it just might work. We'll never know until it's tried.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:53 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I am trying to arrange my den. I'm not sure how to best lay out the furniture and tried a few different ways. Any suggestions appreciated. I need to still put an area rug down.

The main problems for me seem to be how to arrange the end table and coffee table. I'm not sure which way they should face. Or, maybe I should move the end table somewhere else.

BTW--I just mounted the TV, have not had a change to take care of the cords, also the fireplace is not completely done, I need to rewash the brick where the mantle was and I will paint the brass black with high heat paint.

Flickr: troli42's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56729671@N05/ - broken link)
The sofa would be better facing the fireplace, coffee table in front of it. I would put the smaller loveseat to the left of the couch (in a very close "L"), with the end table between them.

OR

I would put both couches perpendicular to the fireplace, facing each other, with coffee table between them. I would place the larger couch closer to that window, the smaller on the door side with a small sofa table behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
I don't get a good sense of the rest of the room from those photos, but I feel like I want to see the couch parallel to the fireplace OR the couch and the loveseat perpendicular to the fireplace facing each other.
Yes, one or the other. If parallel to the FP, she will need the "L" configuration for the couches. I prefer an open "L" as you walk in the door.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:41 PM

759 posts, read 3,144,836 times
Thanks for all the advice--lots of good ideas and I tried them out here:

I still have to set up the piano and I also have a computer table at the other end of this room, then this feeds into the kitchen and the rest of the house.

What does everyone think?

Old 12-14-2010, 03:56 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
If that was my room I'd lose the couch, buy a second loveseat and then arrange them as Hopes suggested above.

Please note: I'm something of a "minimalist", I like to have room for my furniture to "breathe", and I'm an empty-nester. So, for our little family, two loveseats would work. If you have multiple kids at home that probably won't cut it for you.

Cute place though . Love that big window! And the tile by the door in an area that receives snow is super-smart.

Last edited by plaidmom; 12-14-2010 at 04:31 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Thanks for all the advice--lots of good ideas and I tried them out here:

I still have to set up the piano and I also have a computer table at the other end of this room, then this feeds into the kitchen and the rest of the house.

What does everyone think?
Facing TV pictures are the best. Pull it togther tighter at the corner and move the endtable tight into the front corner where the loveseat and sofa meet so it's not sticking out in the walkway behind the arrangement. The end table should be a tight part of the arrangement, not floating by itself outside of the corner.

Also, if you can scoot the entire arrangement a little more towards the fireplace, it might help provide some extra space between the arrangement and the counter. Every inch counts so adjust it until it's perfect.

You might want to consider moving the loveseat all the way into that nook where you are planning to put the computer. And create a little reading nook over there with the desk, just having the sofa directly facing the TV area.

But the arrangements are looking better. You're heading in the right direction.

HEY! Since that isn't a sliding glass door on the other side of the room, try switching the loveseat to the other side of the sofa in the 'facing TV' arrangement.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,253 times
I like them both better than the original.

I kind of like the conversational feel of them facing each other but from one angle it looks better than from the other. Is the couch too large to have them face each other but place them perpendicular to the fireplace? Although that would mean that people would have to turn their heads to watch tv.

If facing the TV doesn't make the walking space between the kitchen and the living room area too cramped then I think I like the arrangement of the couch facing the fireplace with the love seat to the left best.

Thanks for sharing - this is fun!

Karen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating