Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 PM

69 posts, read 243,768 times

Advertisements

I have three of these Jecso pendants but the blue doesn't go well with the new paint and glass tile in my kitchen. In addition to the blue, Jesco only offers a white, amber or red glass. The white would look a lot better than the cobalt, but I'd really like a light blue that would compliment the glass backspalsh tile.

I have no idea what it would cost to have something like this custom made but the pendants were only about $70 each. Just trying to get an idea if it's feasible to seek a custom solution or if I should just replace them with the white globes.

TIA.

Tipsy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 09:26 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Are these lights already installed in your home? Does the blue globe inside screw out independently of the outer clear pendant? I really like these and if they are already in use in your home it would be a shame to lose such handsome fixtures.

You don't mention where you live. Does your area have a high-quality art/craft fair? Glass blowers often show up at those things to sell their wares. At the annual Fair in the Park in Pittsburgh, they always have glass-blowing demos. It would give you an opportunity to chat with a glass craftsman. If you can find such a place to go in your area (and your cobalt pendant unscrews), take the pendant and a sample of your beautiful backsplash glass with you. It's worth asking someone if they could do a change-out for you at a price you could afford.

A hand-blown glass piece inside those clear globes would look really cool -- you'd be able to tell they were hand-crafted. And even if you had to pay what three new fixtures would cost, you're saving the trouble of installing new fixtures and you'd have one-of-a-kind items. Restore and reuse!

Old 12-12-2010, 09:58 PM

Yes, they are installed in my home and yes the blue can be removed. I'd have to remove/disassemble the entire fixture to remove the blue glass so replacing the glass or replacing the fixture is essentially the same effort.

But I would like to have a custom globe fabricated to match the subway tile, if possible and practical...hence the reason for my post.

I'm in the Tampa area and I'm fairly new here. I have no idea where I'd find someone to do this...looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

Tipsy

Old 12-13-2010, 04:56 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
I'm in the Tampa area and I'm fairly new here. I have no idea where I'd find someone to do this...looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

Tipsy
That's what Google is for, Tipsy. I just Googled "glassblower Tampa Florida" and got an address for Phoenix Glass Studio. Googling "art festivals Tampa Florida" got PAGES of responses. Apparently there's one almost weekly somewhere in Tampa/St. Pete/Tarpon Springs.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:10 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
I had a customer that didn't like her globes, she used a stain to make them a tan color. Of course, she was covering up white. You might talk to someone at a lamp store or someone with knowledge at a craft store, on what kind of stain or paint to use. You don't want it to peel, I think stain would work better.

Those are nice lights,best of Luck!!

Old 12-13-2010, 06:13 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
That's what Google is for, Tipsy. I just Googled "glassblower Tampa Florida" and got an address for Phoenix Glass Studio. Googling "art festivals Tampa Florida" got PAGES of responses. Apparently there's one almost weekly somewhere in Tampa/St. Pete/Tarpon Springs.

Love the idea of doing a custom piece using the OP's tile colors. I picture sort of a Murano-glass inspired globe.

Going custom won't necessarily be "cheap", but if the homeowner plans to stay "put" for some time and can think of it as commissioning a work of art.....well it could be a win-win.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Thanks Jukes. I'm aware I can search Google for glassblowers or local crafts fairs. What I'm seeking is suggestions based on personal experiences.

I'll probably just go ahead and get the white globes from Jesco.

Thanks for the help!

Tipsy

Old 12-14-2010, 01:53 AM

256 posts, read 1,390,408 times
I would get the white globes and add the colors from your tile by painting some sort of design onto the globes. I'm no artist, but even I could manage a contemporary pattern that would add the tile color to the white globes.
You also have the option of painting the tile colors onto the outer clear glass of the pendants. You can't go wrong by trying...the paint comes right off if you want it to. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating