Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 03:10 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,958 times

Advertisements

I've been given an estimate of $1,050 for labor to install 400 sq ft of laminate flooring. Ripping out carpeting is part of the cost. Is that reasonable?

I've replaced carpeting myself in the past but just not up to that sort of thing these days. So checking in for your experience!

Last edited by Dallas Kitty; 11-02-2012 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Is that just for labor and not materials? If so, that's way too high IMO.

However, since you live in Florida, I'd ask on the Florida forum because labor might be higher in your region.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
I first feel the need to question your desire to use laminate. When I suggest laminate counter tops people squeeze their eyes and make funny sounds with their tongue with sounds like yuck and eww. Translation is defined as crap. It's just recycled soda bottles. It has very poor resale value and is shunned by home buyers. It sounds like a tap dancing floor and looks cheap. For the same money you can get the warm feel and look of wood and for a little more you can get some high quality wood. Real wood. There......people like that misleading word too.

Go to a discount flooring place. If you go to the big orange who only wants your little green you will pay through your nose and get completely and thoroughly raped on the install. Floor & Decor is the lowest wholesale flooring supplier out there. They can refer you to a professional installer if you wish to go that route.

That quote does seem high. Especially for Florida where labor is cheap.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Get off laminate hating, desertsun. For some people and situations, it's the perfect flooring choice.

The OP didn't come here asking for your opinion on laminant as a choice. The OP simply wants to know if the installation cost is high.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:03 AM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
I've been given an estimate of $1,050 for labor to install 400 sq ft of laminate flooring. Ripping out carpeting is part of the cost. Is that reasonable?

I've replaced carpeting myself in the past but just not up to that sort of thing these days. So checking in for your experience!
Should be about $1.00 to $1.50 per square foot labor, plus the material costs(laminate floor, underlayment, transition pieces) plus the cost of removing old carpet and hauling it away.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:15 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Is that just for labor and not materials? If so, that's way too high IMO.

However, since you live in Florida, I'd ask on the Florida forum because labor might be higher in your region.
Hopes, I'm a Floridian transplanted to Dallas 35 years ago and now back in Florida. I quickly found that the pay scale for office jobs is far below Dallas and have also learned the cost of any professional in and around the home is high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I first feel the need to question your desire to use laminate. When I suggest laminate counter tops people squeeze their eyes and make funny sounds with their tongue with sounds like yuck and eww. Translation is defined as crap. It's just recycled soda bottles. It has very poor resale value and is shunned by home buyers. It sounds like a tap dancing floor and looks cheap. For the same money you can get the warm feel and look of wood and for a little more you can get some high quality wood. Real wood. There......people like that misleading word too.

Go to a discount flooring place. If you go to the big orange who only wants your little green you will pay through your nose and get completely and thoroughly raped on the install. Floor & Decor is the lowest wholesale flooring supplier out there. They can refer you to a professional installer if you wish to go that route.

That quote does seem high. Especially for Florida where labor is cheap.
I agree that hardwood floors would be very nice. But my desire for laminate flooring instead of hardwood is the fact that I've bought a mobile home. It's all I could afford with my lifelong female salary and current social security income but it's mine all mine, all paid for. But I did choose one of two of the best parks in this area, gated with wide streets, sidewalks and our own little village directory. I was told by other home owners that the laminate is the safest considering the possibility of water damage to sub-flooring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Should be about $1.00 to $1.50 per square foot labor, plus the material costs(laminate floor, underlayment, transition pieces) plus the cost of removing old carpet and hauling it away.
This gives me something to discuss with the young man, nitram. I gave him a calculator to work with and he still seemed to do a lot of doodling so maybe he's just not good with math. He said the flooring will cost $2 per but wrote down material cost of $1,000. He's off (and over) by $200. I know where he gets it so will go see for myself. I do have someone else to contact and will let this guy know I'm looking around.

Thanks for your replies everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating