Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 08:43 AM

10 posts, read 95,536 times

Advertisements

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment in NYC and I would like to put up a wall to separate the living room and make that into another bedroom for when my sister comes to visit (and she comes to visit quite often). Is there an inexpensive way for me to put up this wall (no more than about $500)? I did a search online for different options and most things cost between $1000-$2000. I have a few of those cheap chinese room dividers but I hate how those look and they're so cheap and flimsy. I thought about buying a big bookcase from IKEA and using that up as a wall but then I would have to buy 2 of them because 1 wont cover the living room. Does anyone know what I should be looking for to put up this wall/divider?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 04:22 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Forget the wall. Keep simplicity in mind- and dollars in your wallet.
NYC tenant laws, building codes, and union labor can turn that "little" project into a nightmare!

Probably the least expensive would be a ceiling mounted track for drapes- floor to ceiling. When not needed they can be pushed back against the wall and held in place with a tieback.
I really like the bookcase idea. Ikea has the "Billy" system which would work great in your scenario. There are several different sizes and colors. Depending on the run you would need you could possibly turn some units the other way to accommodate storage on both sides of the "wall". And with the different sizes you can stack to the ceiling or use varying heights to create interest.

IKEA | Bookcases | BILLY system | BILLY | Bookcase

Old 12-28-2010, 05:07 PM

292 posts, read 1,243,919 times
I was going to suggest the Ikea Expedit bookcase/room divider. It's 6 feet high, which is high enough to not be able to see over it, plus it's finished on both sides and has drawer and door inserts you can add to customize it for your needs.

IKEA | Living room storage | Bookcases | EXPEDIT | Bookcase (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40156283 - broken link)

Old 12-28-2010, 09:31 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Another vote for the Expedit, though I do suggest bolting the end to a wall with the included bracket. Being wide open, it can rack like a parallelogram.

The Billy bookcases are too shallow to be stable when freestanding, not to mention the backside is unfinished.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
How do you two think you're going to get any privacy with a bookcase that has no back? The purpose for the "wall" was privacy.
The "Billy" back may not be furniture finish- but that can be easily achieved with veneer plywood.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:05 PM

K'ledgeBldr: The Billy is too shallow to be stable (the base is even shallower to allow the bookcase to fit against the wall over moldings). I suggested putting in the drawers and doors to solidify some or all of the Expedit (and filling with books, if necessary). I can't imagine you're going to get much sound privacy in a 1BR NYC apartment, anyway, but at least it would provide some visual privacy and a psychological barrier. Another suggestion would be to search the ikeafans.com site for some ideas. There are some really great hacks over there using ikea parts. The biggest obstacle then might be the OP's access to tools if going that route.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Alternatively, you could take the same idea with the veneer plywood (or some other finished substrate) and put it on the back of the Expedit bookcase to make it solid (would be cheaper than adding in all of those drawers and doors, as well).

Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 AM

10 posts, read 95,536 times
Thanks guys for all the information. I went with what K'ledgeBldr suggested and got the celing track and put up a long drape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating