Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 04:08 AM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I have to disagree with the idea that lower ceilings are in. I can see lowered ceiligns in certain areas such as nooks, bays or at an entry to a room/hall. But 9' has pretty much become the new minimum for living spaces in my area. I actually think vaulted ceilings are out and 10' is the new desired height. (Not that everyone will have that.)

I also see people wanting a cross between the open plan and discreet rooms. Such as the living opneing to dining and dining to the kitchen but not kitchen to living room. Or an open kitchen-living area with a separate dining room.

In my area the oversized/overrought luxury condos and the super small infill houses/faux loft condos are both on the way out. Which is sad when you consider the original stock of both never actually sold out.
I didn't say they were in, I said I think it will be a trend. In the same way a swaddled baby is comforted in a snug blanket, I think the feeling we get inside a house with very high ceilings is uncomfortable. I didn't mean 9' ceilings, I meant 12-15' ceilings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 06:07 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
"I am also aghast that there are people that actually think that having control of one's life has anything to do with decorating - you have got to be kidding!"

While your statement made me laugh, I do think the condition of one's home can affect how much they feel in control. The home is the "control center" and I think it can definitely create a "feeling", whether accurate or not, one way or another, about the state of one's life.
While I agree that one's home and the way it is kept and decorated can contribute to feelings of well-being (or not) I don't believe that it can give you "control" over your life. If I'm a drug pusher wanted in 3 states who happens to like feng shui, do I have control over my life?

Old 12-29-2010, 05:50 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
"I am also aghast that there are people that actually think that having control of one's life has anything to do with decorating - you have got to be kidding!"

While your statement made me laugh, I do think the condition of one's home can affect how much they feel in control. The home is the "control center" and I think it can definitely create a "feeling", whether accurate or not, one way or another, about the state of one's life.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Amen! I am not near retirement nor am I in my 20's 30's..but I think that style/ color depends on where you live and the type of home you live in. I've owned a cape, farmhouse, colonial, ranch and now a home on the lake. I have relatives in Arizona that definitely decorate much differently than I do here in Maine. I love what they do, they love what we do. I personally do not like a home with all pastels and palm tree decor, except when I am in the Keys.
That's what I meant by my post. The retiring ppl I know personally don't have to sell their main homes, but they have bought/build their vacation houses already, and they are totally going the pastel/white/rattan route.

I don't know of anyone who is using tropical decor in their primary houses. Well, except me in my office. LOL But I maintain it's "West Indian decor" a'la the style here: http://common2.csnimages.com/lf/8/ha...+Headboard.jpg

I didn't mean to stereotype "older" people. Actually everyone with a vacation house or cabin does the same thing. I think it's natural to want to echo the exterior environment inside your home. Also, that style of decorating isn't simply a great visual reminder that you are not working, but it's also practical for a warm, humid climate.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 PM

Well we are retired and we live in a warm and humid climate but we don't have pastel/white/rattan in any room nor does anyone we know. I don't know of any of our retired friends who wants to echo the exterior environment inside their home or that need a visual reminder that they aren't working. How odd.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
And the Color of the Year is......

............wait for it folks..............

HOT PINK!

Home & Garden > Image >

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/garden/30pink.html

All of you pink-bathroom peeps are right on-trend now.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I think granit is going to be replaced by quartz, not that i give a rats ass...but on one of the HGTV shouws, bang for you buck, I think the RE lady says, no, quartz is just as expensive as granite, people just have to realize that....

the subtle way it is being introduced to us.

I like the 9 feet ceilings, anything over that is a pain in the ass to paint, heat and cool...and just un-necessary..... like really, do you really need a 20 foot ceiling....unless you are good at levitating...

Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 AM

Nightcrawler quartz composite (I believe that is what you are talking about) has been around for years - there is nothing new about it and it was introduced to us long ago - it is a manufactured composit that tries to mimic polished granite. Quartz composite often tries to mimic some of the less expensive granite patterns but in no way compares to the really unique granite that is out there.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:46 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Nightcrawler quartz composite (I believe that is what you are talking about) has been around for years - there is nothing new about it and it was introduced to us long ago - it is a manufactured composit that tries to mimic polished granite. Quartz composite often tries to mimic some of the less expensive granite patterns but in no way compares to the really unique granite that is out there.

Oh, I had no idea. When I saw the HGTV, that was news to me. It looked nice from a TV perspective though. Oh well, lesson learned for me.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:59 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
That's what I meant by my post. The retiring ppl I know personally don't have to sell their main homes, but they have bought/build their vacation houses already, and they are totally going the pastel/white/rattan route.

I don't know of anyone who is using tropical decor in their primary houses. Well, except me in my office. LOL But I maintain it's "West Indian decor" a'la the style here: http://common2.csnimages.com/lf/8/ha...+Headboard.jpg

I didn't mean to stereotype "older" people. Actually everyone with a vacation house or cabin does the same thing. I think it's natural to want to echo the exterior environment inside your home. Also, that style of decorating isn't simply a great visual reminder that you are not working, but it's also practical for a warm, humid climate.
Actually, nobody is doing that style of decor in the areas of Florida in which I ply my trade.
Its a cliche, you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating