Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:28 PM

57 posts, read 172,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Texture guy - do you have examples of your work?

My main company website has a small sample of pictures of a thicker texture we applied over plaster walls in a 100 year old house in sanford florida

It is here on the main page
Ari's Drywall Spraying

Then i have a blog about popcorn removal and that has a knockdown sample as well.

[http://howtoremovepopcorn.com]Removing Popcorn[/url]

There is regular knockdown, mini knockdown, knockdown that we do for apartments, and the are self inflicted title "gucci knockdown" becuse it is super thick and goes on for million dollar homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 07:35 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Texture_Guy View Post
I am all for spraying the drywall with knockdown texture. If done correctly and painted with a faux style, the walls can look like a million bucks any day of the week. At least thats what i say to all the floridians here in orlando where i am from
I've been doing that look in Central Florida for at least the last decade.
To tell you the truth, I think its rather "done", except perhaps for Mediterranean style homes.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
They say that the interior design trends for 2011 will reflect on family and preserving the past.

What do you think about this observation? I was also wondering if you have any ideas how to implement it practically?

Waiting to hear your thoughts,

Guy
who is 'they' I wonder??

Well to answer your question in any case, I would say in general things are going more traditional. It's a reflection of our economic times and it follows a pattern that has taken place in previous recessions and depressions as well. When people have to become more strict with their financial dealings, they tend to become more strict in their worldview as well--stricter about political ideology, about morals and values, about fashion, about interior design. Family and history are traditional values so it is logical that they would be a primary focus of these stricter outlooks.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I think other people in my age bracket late 20s - early 30s are buying houses we can afford while older folks are retiring. Since the older guys can sell their houses cheaper, there are a lot of 60's 70's 3BR houses on the market for the "right" price.

My old-new house gave me freedom to move in a "new" design direction, and I think other people probably want to decorate the "old" new homes they have while being true to the "period" (if you can call the 60's-70's a period LOL):
1. Mid-Century Modern - A lot of people seem to love it.

2. Tile - If the house hasn't been renovated and you still have the pink or blue tile, a lot of people are re-discovering the awesomeness of weird pastel tile.

3. Pastel Appliances - Back in Vogue.

4. Modern - Whatever that is. In my house it's simple furniture in strange shapes that is usually lower to the ground. I think it goes better with the proportions in the house.

5. Chinoiserie, Japanoiserie and Koreanoiserie - LOL I personally am a freak for all things Asian, and I love the low proportions of the traditional furniture. I also love how FengShui'ing my house was not only expensive but has made me feel that I have control over my life...and I know I am not alone!

6. Caribbean! - I am biased, but I do think that the snowbirds who are leaving the colder states are going to decorate their homes as well. Based on the snow chickies in my wee circle, I say they will go ALL out with pastels, brights, rattan, palm trees, breezy curtains. You name it, anything that reminds them that they're happily retired.

7. Bright Colors - In general, I have noticed that people in all kinds of homes seem to be more willing to try bright colors on the walls. And why not? Beige is boring. I see more navy blues, turquoise, yellow, red, orange and magenta...
I sure hope you are right on all counts! Sounds like my kind of decorating trends.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
who is 'they' I wonder??

Well to answer your question in any case, I would say in general things are going more traditional. It's a reflection of our economic times and it follows a pattern that has taken place in previous recessions and depressions as well. When people have to become more strict with their financial dealings, they tend to become more strict in their worldview as well--stricter about political ideology, about morals and values, about fashion, about interior design. Family and history are traditional values so it is logical that they would be a primary focus of these stricter outlooks.
All the major furniture retailers are still showing contemporary furniture as the strongest trend.
As it takes about 18 months to completely retool a furniture line, I dont see a huge move back to traditional anytime soon.
Hemlines arent going down any more, so one must assume that your post is based on personal opinion.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:51 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
That's what I meant by my post. The retiring ppl I know personally don't have to sell their main homes, but they have bought/build their vacation houses already, and they are totally going the pastel/white/rattan route.

I don't know of anyone who is using tropical decor in their primary houses. Well, except me in my office. LOL But I maintain it's "West Indian decor" a'la the style here: http://common2.csnimages.com/lf/8/ha...+Headboard.jpg

I didn't mean to stereotype "older" people. Actually everyone with a vacation house or cabin does the same thing. I think it's natural to want to echo the exterior environment inside your home. Also, that style of decorating isn't simply a great visual reminder that you are not working, but it's also practical for a warm, humid climate.
I don't know any one that uses pastel/white/rattan in their main or vacation home. Take that back I do know someone that does but that is because it hasn't been changed since 1980.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Texture_Guy View Post
I am all for spraying the drywall with knockdown texture. If done correctly and painted with a faux style, the walls can look like a million bucks any day of the week. At least thats what i say to all the floridians here in orlando where i am from
Because it is cheaper and easier than smooth walls.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
All the major furniture retailers are still showing contemporary furniture as the strongest trend.
As it takes about 18 months to completely retool a furniture line, I dont see a huge move back to traditional anytime soon.
Hemlines arent going down any more, so one must assume that your post is based on personal opinion.
I have been seeing more contemporary also.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I don't know any one that uses pastel/white/rattan in their main or vacation home. Take that back I do know someone that does but that is because it hasn't been changed since 1980.
Yep, thats when that trend was popular, and then all the folks that moved to Florida thought thats what they were supposed to do in their homes....thank goodness I seldom encounter it anymore!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 AM

57 posts, read 172,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I've been doing that look in Central Florida for at least the last decade.
To tell you the truth, I think its rather "done", except perhaps for Mediterranean style homes.
Nah not even close. we do many timeshares in knockdown texture, pulte homes sprays all knockdown ceilings and walls, That look will never be done, unless they find an even cheaper way to make drywall look better. what makes you think texture is done? The only thing done in florida is the housing market for the next 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Because it is cheaper and easier than smooth walls.
Its all about the dollars in construction. If it saves them $5 on a house then they will switch. anything that gets people a profit is worth it. I like texture better then slick anyways. most people i find up north are so resistant to any kind of change that all they want is slick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating