Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
When I reno'd my kitchen last year more than one person assumed I would knock down the wall that separated the kitchen from the dining area. But I did not...
I think it comes down to the room sizes (which the trend started as a remedy for).
If the kitchen is large enough on it's own... leave it be.
But if the choice is a tight kitchen and a tight DR... open it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 06:32 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I hope this open concept would die, or at least there would be different floor plan choices. Right now most, if not all plans resemble big lofts. I don't like it, never did and would be happy to see more choices on the market.
If you like to entertain, then open floor plan is great. But who wants to entertain all the times??
A closed floor plan provides for ultimate privacy. Each room is a dedicated area as it is isolated by wall partitions that divide each living space. This type of plan is ideal for many people who prefer closed quarters and a certain level of privacy within their home.
Many households have people contending with different ages and schedules, enclosed spaces work better in a house where everyone needs their space. You can create specialty rooms dedicated to individual uses, such as home offices, art studios, craft rooms, workout rooms, and guest rooms.
Enclosed spaces are easier to clean/contain messes. Their are quieter, because noise doesn't travel as far.
I like privacy. I like designated areas for different task. I like walls to display arts.

One tend to lose a level of complete privacy with open plans and that is the one sticking point with this design arrangement.

Last edited by elnina; 11-28-2012 at 06:48 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 07:24 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
I understand people want to be able to watch kids while in each room but at what price. I had a house that had three levels all open to each other. We had the bottom level walled up and put in a door. As my kid grew up I was so glad they had a separate space to go and watch their movie and play music with out wafting over the whole house. And no, I didn't let my kid hide away down there and I knew what was going on with a nice glass door.

Kitchens that are open to the rest of the house is a pain too, I don't like to have to keep it perfectly clean at all times, miss the door we had growing up.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:36 PM

538 posts, read 732,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I hope this open concept would die, or at least there would be different floor plan choices. Right now most, if not all plans resemble big lofts. I don't like it, never did and would be happy to see more choices on the market.
If you like to entertain, then open floor plan is great. But who wants to entertain all the times??
A closed floor plan provides for ultimate privacy. Each room is a dedicated area as it is isolated by wall partitions that divide each living space. This type of plan is ideal for many people who prefer closed quarters and a certain level of privacy within their home.
Many households have people contending with different ages and schedules, enclosed spaces work better in a house where everyone needs their space. You can create specialty rooms dedicated to individual uses, such as home offices, art studios, craft rooms, workout rooms, and guest rooms.
Enclosed spaces are easier to clean/contain messes. Their are quieter, because noise doesn't travel as far.
I like privacy. I like designated areas for different task. I like walls to display arts.

One tend to lose a level of complete privacy with open plans and that is the one sticking point with this design arrangement.
Agree with you 100%!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:43 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,319,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

My thought, exactly.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Wow. How often do we have 10 consecutive one sided likes. All are not for open floor plans so far. I'm really surprised. Very interesting.........................

Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I have lived in historic homes with separate rooms, and homes with separate rooms but a circular flow (no dead ends, in other words), and now live in an open floorplan home.

All three sorts have their pros and cons, depending on lifestyle, decorating, etc.

Personally, I prefer option two - the separate rooms with a good flow. These are great for entertaining, but they are also good if you want to enjoy a little seclusion or privacy without having to hole up in your bedroom.

One of the drawbacks to an open floor plan that I frankly didn't anticipate is that there aren't many walls to hold art, or to put furniture against. I have a lot of original art pieces, as well as some nice antiques. It's been a real challenge decorating. We will be moving soon, and it will be a hard sell to get us to buy another open floor plan.

Oh -- and if you cook anything, or have people over and some are in the kitchen and some are in the living room, the noise can be deafening. Not to mention that every scent from the kitchen soon permeates the entire living area. That's nice if you're baking cookies - but not so nice if you're searing chilean sea bass!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
I like the open concept in moderation. My current home has the family room and kitchen open to each other. That is good enough for me. My living room is a separate room at the front of the house. I looked at a lot of homes where you walked in the front door and you could see the kitchen. I didnt like that. My husband's sister bought a traditional cape cod built in the 50's. She knocked down the wall in her kitchen to open it up to the dining room and living room. It looks odd. She also lost a good amount of wall space for cabinets so her kitchen is actually less functional even though its open and appears bigger.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,535 times
I love, love, love my mostly open floor plan (except for the lack of a utility closet). It's basically open with one strategically placed wall with a cut-out and a wall on the backside of kitchen cabinets. The areas are defined yet open, but you cannot see the kitchen from the living room. It is so bright and open. It's great for entertaining and it's great for the family. As a family where both parents work, we are not looking for time away from one another, quite the contrary, we want to spend time together when we can, so being able to share our day while preparing dinner/playing on the wii/checking the mail/feeding the dog/relaxing is important to us.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Wow. How often do we have 10 consecutive one sided likes. All are not for open floor plans so far. I'm really surprised. Very interesting.........................

I think that the open floor plans are "in" long enough, so the younger generation has no idea what closed floor plan is about, therefore they go with the flow ( or the Jones ) and opt for what is available on market.
Maybe most younger people have no way to know what to appreciate in closed floors plans ...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating