Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times

Advertisements

I have a confession. I am an early 30's straight male who likes hunting, shooting, fighting, drinking, heathen grunting and interior decorating... Is there something wrong with me?

Everytime I go to the library and get a stack of decorating books, the librarian looks at me like I'm wearing a pink dress...maybe because I'm a scruffy looking man with a big beard.

The funniest thing about it is that my wife isn't particularly interested in interior decorating, though I think I'm starting to rub off on her a bit.

Also, my decorating tastes do not include moose heads and empty beer cans. I love craftsman, prairie style and victorian (especially Queen Anne) styles the most and am doing my house (a prairie style home from 1916) in an eclectic mix of prairie and craftsman with a bit of victorian as I can afford it.

How does one find peace in crossing this gender line? Is there anyone else out there does it too? Can interior decorating ever be "manly"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 10:01 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default You are SO not alone...

Do you have any idea how many collectors of Stickly and FLW furniture are just like you? The quarter sawn oak, rustic cherry, hobnail leather upholstery are about as far from "frilly" as you can get. I know many people that are involved in kitchen design, remodeling, custom cabinetry as their career but whose avocation is tracking down affordable pieces of highly collectible craftsmen/bungalow/prairie style furnishing. I have even some shared affection for MidCentury Modern and Danish Modern. There are even "cowboy Victorian" folks out their that go for a whole "Weestern Frontier meets Teddy Roosevelt" kind of look that is very manly...

There are sites for all kinds of furntiture collectors and auctions. Google each of the terms, but also know that the "good stuff" if more commonly traded through private mail servers so that the prices are a little less public. Doesn't do anyone much good to needlessly drive up prices ...

Old 12-30-2010, 10:07 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Don't give it a second though. Enjoy what you do and don't give a rats ass what people think.

Not all women like or are good at decorating, (my sister in law has that title).

Old 12-30-2010, 10:52 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
My 16 year old son (very, very straight lol) chose all the paint, hardware, and art for his bathroom. It looks super cool and masculine. I LOVE using his good taste for my projects!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:54 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
design is not about sexual preference, don't give it another thought. there are many areas in life that require an eye and an appreciation for esthetic. design is about the details and making things fit together in a pleasing way. a bit like restoring a classic car if I can compare it to something a man would do.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:01 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Hon, you are an artist. I know cause I am married to one!
You wife might be like me and be relieved that someone else is doing it.
I can cook like crazy, organize and clean but he knows there are 550 shades of white.
Enjoy yourself and tell you wife how much you appreciate her.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:09 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I have a confession. I am an early 30's straight male who likes hunting, shooting, fighting, drinking, heathen grunting and interior decorating... Is there something wrong with me?

Everytime I go to the library and get a stack of decorating books, the librarian looks at me like I'm wearing a pink dress...maybe because I'm a scruffy looking man with a big beard.

The funniest thing about it is that my wife isn't particularly interested in interior decorating, though I think I'm starting to rub off on her a bit.

Also, my decorating tastes do not include moose heads and empty beer cans. I love craftsman, prairie style and victorian (especially Queen Anne) styles the most and am doing my house (a prairie style home from 1916) in an eclectic mix of prairie and craftsman with a bit of victorian as I can afford it.

How does one find peace in crossing this gender line? Is there anyone else out there does it too? Can interior decorating ever be "manly"?
Just stay away from blush, stick to reds and whites and you'll be fine.

Also, having good taste isn't necessarily gay. There are lots and lots of really tacky gay men.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:45 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Just stay away from blush, stick to reds and whites and you'll be fine.

Also, having good taste isn't necessarily gay. There are lots and lots of really tacky gay men.

your killin me, but that is so true !!!!!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:29 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
I love this post. The gender (and orientation) stereotypes definitely work both ways.

I often pity the poor guys who, just because of a gender stereotype, having deferred the decorating to their wife, now find themselves in a sticky morass of matching everything pink and lavender floral prints, doilies, 78 frilly pillows stacked to the ceiling, cutsie wallpaper borders and plastic plants stuck on top of cabinets, curio cabinets filled with "My Precious Moments" and, if newly married to a young wife, the ubiquitous huge professional wedding portrait above the fireplace and some dried up table arrangement proudly displayed in a lucite box. Blechhh! Stick up for yourselves guys. Compromise includes a little bit of your taste too.

The stereotypes continue with dressing, as a gay man I can design a handsome house but am as clothing and shopping challenged as the unabomber lol.

Stick with what inspires you, sounds like you have some great taste to me, and can hunt and dress that deer with the best of your buddies.

Last edited by T. Damon; 12-30-2010 at 02:39 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 02:49 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I'm glad both my husband and I (me being female) have similar tastes in decor- arts & crafts, mid-century modern, and generally things that are both 'real' and clean-lined. Because we're both interested in interior design and decorating and both very strong-willed and opinionated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating