Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:22 AM

386 posts, read 1,363,667 times

Advertisements

Hi - we just built a house and the designer chose the window size. My old house had 8 foot ceilings and the 84 inch draperies worked perfectly. Now my ceilings are 10 foot and my old 84 inch draperies hang a few inches below the bottom of the window frame.

What are the rules for hanging draperies? I believe they should reach the floor or can puddle, but what happens if they hang a few inches below the frame, or don't quite reach the floor? Is that a no-no? I have 101 inches from the top of the window frame to the floor.

I am also finding the width of the windows are either a little shorter or a little longer than the standard size you find for roman shades, honeycomb shades, etc. I can't afford to do custom window treatments for everyroom in the house, nor do I want the vinyl mini blinds that can be trimmed to fit. Has anyone else had this problem, or have any ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 11:09 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwlakewylie View Post
Hi - we just built a house and the designer chose the window size. My old house had 8 foot ceilings and the 84 inch draperies worked perfectly. Now my ceilings are 10 foot and my old 84 inch draperies hang a few inches below the bottom of the window frame.

What are the rules for hanging draperies? I believe they should reach the floor or can puddle, but what happens if they hang a few inches below the frame, or don't quite reach the floor? Is that a no-no? I have 101 inches from the top of the window frame to the floor.

I am also finding the width of the windows are either a little shorter or a little longer than the standard size you find for roman shades, honeycomb shades, etc. I can't afford to do custom window treatments for everyroom in the house, nor do I want the vinyl mini blinds that can be trimmed to fit. Has anyone else had this problem, or have any ideas?

Thanks!
Congratulations on the new house! The higher ceilings sound wonderful. It sounds like you need longer curtains. It looks che@p (sorry to utter those bad words) to have curtains that are a little too short.

I don't think you can get around the new windows without spending money, but I know that can be daunting since you just spent a lot for the house itself.

In lieu of floor-length curtains, you can try curtains that hit the window sill. That's if you have windows sills. You would need to hem the curtains or have them hemmed.

Here are a couple of ideas:
http://www.licketyknit.com/wp-conten...s/Curtains.jpg
http://countryporchquilts.com/images/WhiteShortUC.jpg (broken link)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aDSsKvJu0x...pt+Therapy.jpg

Since you can't hide the hem on the floor, they'll need to be crisp and even if you go for a shorter look. If you're good at sewing, great, otherwise I would have a seamstress hem them.

BONUS? You can use the leftover fabric for throw pillows, tiebacks etc.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:55 PM

386 posts, read 1,363,667 times
Thanks, the 84 inch ones hit below the window sill just like the one you have in your first link so maybe I am ok. I assume the first link curtains have already been hemmed - at least it looks as if there is a hem in in the picture - is that correct?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:11 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwlakewylie View Post
Thanks, the 84 inch ones hit below the window sill just like the one you have in your first link so maybe I am ok. I assume the first link curtains have already been hemmed - at least it looks as if there is a hem in in the picture - is that correct?
Yes, the ones in the first link look like they've been cut and hemmed. If you ask me they're a little too long for the window, though. Maybe you can post pix.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
Can you "add" a panel to the bottom of the drapes, in a neutral, coordinating fabric?

Like this;

Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I need pictures to make my mind.....

Old 01-13-2011, 12:57 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,028 times
What sanrene said.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:14 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,094,372 times
If just below the window sill, I think it should look fine. But if it half way below the window and half way up from the floor, it will look like "high waters". I would not try to add a panel since you would need to be highly skilled or very lucky for it to lay right after doing this. We live in an older house with all odd windows for today's drapes so I bought clearance drapes from JC Penney's and hemmed them about 3 inches. They were 96 inches I believe to begin with.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 AM

238 posts, read 617,135 times
i agree with sanrene. i have large/long windows; need about 108" to hit the floor right above the quarteround between floor and baseboard. i tried to get away with a shorter curtain/drape but it really didnt look right. looked really cheesy. i have one really deep window sill and with an inside mount at the shorter length, it looked ok. i like the idea of adding some additional fabric to lengthen short curtains.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:45 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
If just below the window sill, I think it should look fine. But if it half way below the window and half way up from the floor, it will look like "high waters". I would not try to add a panel since you would need to be highly skilled or very lucky for it to lay right after doing this. We live in an older house with all odd windows for today's drapes so I bought clearance drapes from JC Penney's and hemmed them about 3 inches. They were 96 inches I believe to begin with.
I was going to try doing the panels in the picture, but I wisely chose to have a professional do it. Adding to her draperies shouldn't be all that hard or expensive I would think, especially if she takes them to a seamstress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating